SANFL rule changes to affect Magpies structure and contracted players.

Remove this Banner Ad

So we are pretty much told we need to find and develop talent solely for the benefit of the other SANFL clubs......
Looks like, and KT will spin it as a win. Time to leave the SANFL.

KT to answer questions on this tomorrow at the Port Club. Wish I could get there to present all the concerns we have here.
There is a board of directors meeting on Friday. For KT to come out on the eve of it and invite questions on this from what remains of the Port faithful is, to me, being commendably upfront. Fagan would send a hologram. Do we have a BF rep in attendance to ask half a dozen key questions on our behalf? We are, after all, turning ourselves into a lobby group. Or should be.

It has to be our mission - if we choose to accept it - to dismantle the diabolically unfair rules imposed on us by the SNAFL.

All and any loopholes in this brutal manifesto need to be explored and set up asap.

If we can set up a side in the Ammos - maybe A1 and A1 reserves - to have all contracted playrs not needed in any one week, plus any NGI players unaligned with any SANFL clubs or interstate recruits, playing together. That would provide us with a pool of talent to consider contracting as top ups or even potential AFL draftees for us to have first look at.

Any ideas, bring 'em up and lrt the Club know about it.

We will never be restrained within the Gulag of those ****ers while our arse still points to the ground.

This is a war we have to be inventive about - and one we have to win, or else disband the Magpies :mad:

Here is a list of 42 players in the SANFL in 2018 ie 2 full sides who have spent time at Alberton in various sides over the years and are playing for 9 other SANFL clubs. Thanks to RossFC for the raw data a couple of months ago. I still have to add the guys that left post Reunification in September 2013 and are no longer on SANFL lists like Bruggerman and Beard

View attachment 567460
View attachment 567461
View attachment 567462
Here is a list of 42 players in the SANFL in 2018 ie 2 full sides who have spent time at Alberton in various sides over the years and are playing for 9 other SANFL clubs. Thanks to RossFC for the raw data a couple of months ago. I still have to add the guys that left post Reunification in September 2013 and are no longer on SANFL lists like Bruggerman and Beard

View attachment 567460
View attachment 567461
View attachment 567462

Not to mention all the ex Port kids playing U18s and Reserves as well. Probably another 25 players there too.

We are, after all, turning ourselves into a lobby group. Or should be.

Absolutely. RussellEbertHandball how can we get this happening in a formal sense? Ideally a register of names and membership numbers. We'd also need a clear outline of what our agenda is. (otherwise we'll get flooded with the "port piratez logo pleez' brigade.)

We have some significant clout amongst the posters here and a simple agenda based on accountability would be enough, in my opinion.

Absolutely. RussellEbertHandball how can we get this happening in a formal sense? Ideally a register of names and membership numbers. We'd also need a clear outline of what our agenda is. (otherwise we'll get flooded with the "port piratez logo pleez' brigade.)

We have some significant clout amongst the posters here and a simple agenda based on accountability would be enough, in my opinion.
Justifies a dedicated thread.

Organizing it in a formal sense isnt that hard.

Keeping it realistic and having a discussion online and people who don't get registered but want to voice their opinion or criticize what we are doing, is another matter.

Organizing it in a formal sense isnt that hard.

Keeping it realistic and having a discussion online and people who don't get registered but want to voice their opinion or criticize what we are doing, is another matter.
This is where the mods, or spec mod, earn their incredible pocket money.
Start the thread first, then the right-minded posters will dictate the course.

I must be the only one that doesn't mind the changes. The reserves team was pointless, consisted of a bunch of players who had minimal connection to the club and who were clearly nowhere near a competent level. Focusing on players in our academy is a smart move.

The main issue this year was that the contracted players weren't the right type of players. Maybe we had issues attracting players, maybe we just grabbed what we could get, but almost all the contracted players were sub 176cm types. When you get an injury list such as ours which ripped through our KPP then it was always going to end up in tears.

Pick the right players and we'll be challenging for the flag once again.

Just call the club what it is Southern power. Just another afl franchise. We have lost our heartland, our juniors, our zones, the foundations on what made this club for 140 years... now this...
How is our situation any different to that of the traditional Victorian clubs? They no longer have juniors etc that doesn't make them any less than a football club.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

From the beginning we should have broken rules and called the bluff of the sanfl threatening to kick us out. They've made threats many times but never kicked us out but let's assume this time they did then the club would've turned to the afl to mediate or find us a new league. I believe that the afl wouldn't have wanted to find us a new league and so there would've been mediation and we may have come out of that with better rules and be in a healthier shape. I firmly feel that KT as the CEO who is employed to advise the board has been overwhelmed by these dealings, he's been the wrong leader in this but it isn't just on him. He admitted that he and the club knew from four years ago that it would come to this! Of course they did. Anybody with a brain saw it coming. So the club must have not been bothered to fight it. Shame on them.

It isn't that the Magpies are dead. Look beyond the nickname. Port Adelaide Football Club plays in two leagues and we've been a competitive beast in our history. We don’t want to be losers and we have the right to play under fair rules for the sake of our history, our past players and legends, our community, and for the young afl recruits that need a handful of good experienced sanfl men playing with them on a weekly basis and not more young Division 3 hacks. It is for the sake of a winning culture and the sake of making our best 22 afl side the best it can be.

None of this helps the club from top to bottom but we still have our own supporters that think these cheating rules is not having an affect on our afl squad.

This is ****ed. The club is handicapped and the board sit timidly together watching half of the club struggle against sanfl men on a weekly basis. Shame on them.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Anyone know what the pay restrictions are for an SAAFL div 1 sides are?

Surely it's more than $100 that the Academy players were on.

Why not make an SAAFL side, also if any of the 10 SANFL listed players are not playing SANFL they can drop down to that side.

Anyone that's decent in the SAAFL side can replace any SANFL listed player that gets raided by an SANFL club.

I reckon the SAAFL div 1 might be just as good or a higher standard than SANFL reserves too.

In 5 seasons since the change, we've made 2 grand finals (should have won both) and finished 2nd on the ladder in another year. 3 strong seasons in 5. One poor year and people want to throw the baby out with the bath water. What was our record like from 2000-13 when we had junior teams and development etc. I'll tell you what it was. Shithouse.

I used to think the same thing years ago and was well and truly proven wrong.
Just a side note, here are the results whenever we've played SAAFL sides in the last couple of years.

Port Magpies senior team beat Div 1 Goodwood by 100 points.
Academy lost to Div 1 Tea Tree Gully by 10 goals.
Academy beat Div 2 Prince Alfred College by 50 points.

Not to mention all the ex Port kids playing U18s and Reserves as well. Probably another 25 players there too.
There is another 10-15 players outside that list of 42 - mainly from those that departed at the end of 2013 that have gone to SANFL clubs but didn't play in 2018. Two I know are Kory Beard and Angus Bruggemann.

Some 2013 reserves and U/18 (and 2014) players would have gone to other clubs and may not have played A grade for other SANFL clubs.

Given our U/18's last played in 2014, we dont have any U/18 left. They might come from our traditional old zones but not sure how you count that. Our NGA kids can come from the 4 SANFL clubs we are aligned to so once again hard to say how many we are providing.

Bottom line its hard to sustain a side in the SANFL that will be successful unless their are only a few injuries to the Power listed players.

In 5 seasons since the change, we've made 2 grand finals (should have won both) and finished 2nd on the ladder in another year. 3 strong seasons in 5. One poor year and people want to throw the baby out with the bath water. What was our record like from 2000-13 when we had junior teams and development etc. I'll tell you what it was. Shithouse.

No this three from five good years and two grand finals paints the wrong picture. Until this past season we had a foundation of competent contracted players groomed from our junior pathway that were developed men with sanfl experience that could hold their own when they were selected. In fact in 2017 when four players at finals time were pinched from the reserves without playing a single league game all season they still had lots of experience from previous years and now play regular league football at othrr sanfl clubs. We were fortunate to have them although we were lucky that it didn't destabilise our finals campaign but maybe it had a bit to do in losing the gf as a couple of them didn't perform. However in these years some of them played consistently better than afl players. The contracted players we have now will not be like this.

This season is the true picture of where we sit when we regularly do not field a near full afl side and what the characteristic of our side will be come finals if we make it. It is worse in fact. This time if we make finals we will need to do it with a full list of afl players because the contracted players are small young and unwanted by sanfl clubs. Then come finals we will upgrade five of these players that severely weaken us.

People that don't watch regular Magpies games don't know the issues. They don't know where we were heading when the rules were set in place.

Just a side note, here are the results whenever we've played SAAFL sides in the last couple of years.

Port Magpies senior team beat Div 1 Goodwood by 100 points.
Academy lost to Div 1 Tea Tree Gully by 10 goals.
Academy beat Div 2 Prince Alfred College by 50 points.
Trial games....

No this three from five good years and two grand finals paints the wrong picture. Until this past season we had a foundation of competent contracted players groomed from our junior pathway that were developed men with sanfl experience that could hold their own when they were selected. In fact in 2017 when four players at finals time were pinched from the reserves without playing a single league game all season they still had lots of experience from previous years and now play regular league football at othrr sanfl clubs. We were fortunate to have them although we were lucky that it didn't destabilise our finals campaign but maybe it had a bit to do in losing the gf as a couple of them didn't perform. However in these years some of them played consistently better than afl players. The contracted players we have now will not be like this.

This season is the true picture of where we sit when we regularly do not field a near full afl side and what the characteristic of our side will be come finals if we make it. It is worse in fact. This time if we make finals we will need to do it with a full list of afl players because the contracted players are small young and unwanted by sanfl clubs. Then come finals we will upgrade five of these players that severely weaken us.

People that don't watch regular Magpies games don't know the issues. They don't know where we were heading when the rules were set in place.

I disagree. It's all about the type of players we select. In 2014 we got Bruggemann who wasn't part of the club before, neither was Biemans, or Gordon. We had Ben Haren who was another KPP. We brought back Krakouer.

This year almost all our top up players were 176cm, 65kg guys. Poor recruiting. How many short people do we want?

There are plenty of talented young players who can come and perform a role.

Prior to the change, we hadn't made the finals in 5 years, hadn't won a final in 8 years. We were not a strong club. Our junior development was extremely poor. The vast majority of our supporters wanted all our AFL players in the one side. It had to come at a cost.

Anyone know what the pay restrictions are for an SAAFL div 1 sides are?

Surely it's more than $100 that the Academy players were on.

Why not make an SAAFL side, also if any of the 10 SANFL listed players are not playing SANFL they can drop down to that side.

Anyone that's decent in the SAAFL side can replace any SANFL listed player that gets raided by an SANFL club.

I reckon the SAAFL div 1 might be just as good or a higher standard than SANFL reserves too.

Salary Cap is $3,000 per week.

I think you'd have much bigger problems with the concept of keeping under the 15 TPPS points per week in your scenario.

I'd also think it somewhat unlikely that the General Committee (the other Clubs) would vote to permit an AFL Club into the League and/or to permit them to start at D1.

When the No AFL in the SANFL nonsense was rearing its head the suggestion that the AFL reserves would play in the SAAFL was always particularly dubious.

Also, just to give an idea, when your Academy blokes weren't needed (so presumably on the fringe of the Academy side) many would play for the reserves side of their D1 clubs (for the ones who belonged to D1 Clubs). Probably gives some idea of the standard of the Academy side viz a viz D1

I personally would like to see the SAAFL and SANFL merge and form a large, full state, promotion and relegation system.

There'd be issues around the junior programs and zones for the SANFL clubs, but I think that could all be worked through.

IMO it is time for radical change at SANFL level and I couldn't imagine anything more exciting than a relegation/promotion system for all our clubs.

Hell I'd get rid of the salary cap too. Just let all the clubs go hammer and tong at it. If they go broke, so be it, if they over pay, so be it, at the end of the day at least that way we would be getting the best players playing in the same comp, and we'd have 1 league in this state that is inclusive of everyone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back