SANFL rule changes to affect Magpies structure and contracted players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Lets look at how Geelong picked up Tom Stewart, to see if we can go get one of him if we reckon one is out there in SA.

He previously played for South Barwon /Geelong U18 / Geelong (VFL) He was born on 15/3/93 and taken pick #40 National 2016. so he was 23.7 year old when drafted. he went back to South Barwon after his year at the Geelong Falcons U/18 team for 4 years before he became a Geelong VFL listed player for 2016.
https://www.draftguru.com.au/players/tom_stewart/1

So the old rules said we had to pick players between 18 and 22 as of 1st January of the footy year apart from the leadership player. I read the following dot points in the SANFL statement, as that we can go get anyone of any age that is registered in SA and isn't on a 40 player SANFL club list.

The SA Football Commission concluded the annual review of the licence conditions and list regulations pertaining to the Adelaide and Port Adelaide Football Club participation in the SANFL competition and has approved the following as players eligible for the AFL clubs supplementary lists:
  • Any South Australian player who is attaining the age of 19 or older and who is not on the Senior List of a SANFL Club (which is a list of 40 players).
and in the next lot of dot pts.

• Any player otherwise eligible for the supplementary list can be registered to play on permit from their community club with AFC or PAFC. There is no limit on the number of permitted players.

So I read that that if we reckon there is a 22, 23, 24 or 25 year old Tom Stewart out there in SA we can give a contract for the Contracted Supplementary List or go and do a deal with his community club, get a permit and put him on the general supplementary list and he can be registered to play on permit from his community club.

Maybe year 1 you list him, year 2 you contract him and if he is up to scratch draft him at the end of year 2.

I can't begin to pick this apart because I am fuming. Our leaders have such a soft underbelly copping this crap.

At the end of the day if we can't pick a weekly best 21 and we can't pay at least 5 players the going $800 to $1000 per game then we can't keep any talent that is worthy. $4000 per player and a cap of $20000 is peanuts. It is more Div 3 players wearing the famous jumper. Bloody disgraceful.

What the hell is the point of academies when they play elsewhere, spread all over the place, and then the best get picked off by sanfl clubs at age 18 if they are not drafted? A decent youngster that is not drafted is not going to want to play at some amateur club if not picked in the league side, they'll opt to be a reserves player at another sanfl team. Then if they're 19 they gt taken by an sanfl club regardless of what we want? KT calls this a win?

******* pathetic soft underbelly.

Last edited:
Really down about this.

So from the Maggie's point if view we can find diamonds in the rough.... but can't keep them

We can find great young talent .....but can't keep them.

We can try to keep our sense of family going with father son.... But can't keep them.

And we pay others for the privilege.

A s**t sandwich with fresh butter is still a s**t sandwich.

Meanwhile the AFL is doing all it can to make its traditional clubs stronger.

Maybe I don't get it and I hope someone can explain it for me but I think this is me done for my Maggie's ticket next year and who knows with the main membership going forward.

Sick of the spin and the lack of backbone and the empty words.

I am a dinosaur I guess but the disconnect keeps getting bigger.

I really don't like how we are now only able to have top up players that were born on either a Monday or a Tuesday.

Seriously though, we're just marking time. No one's going to go watch this garbage anymore, ports eventual AFLW side will get more interest.

I only care because it will affect our player development in the AFL because of this lead weight of an arrangement. SANFL needs to hurry up and die so we can move on. Not long now. The club's are all in dire shape.

So when’s the AFL reserves Comp coming in? The sooner we can exit this s**t show the better. What a cluster*

A couple of observations from this bit,

Also, a player payment cap will be introduced for the AFC and PAFC in line with the other SANFL clubs, consisting of:
  • Match payments at a maximum of $400 per League match.
  • An upfront/base payment maximum (per individual) of $4,000.
  • Total upfront/base payments (collective) of not more than $20,000.
  • In addition, the Leadership Player can only be paid a maximum upfront/ base payment of $20,000 and match payments of $500 per match. If the player was drafted from a SANFL Club prior to his AFL listing, there will also be a transfer fee payable to the SANFL Club in the sum of $25,000, as is the case if the player were to play for any other SANFL Club.
So non AFL listed Port Magpie players will get $4,000 plus $400 per game and this is all Norwood and North are paying their players? That is a touch under 13k per annum. I think that statement might make the SANFL appear more generous than they are.

If Jackson Trengove for example, is appointed as our leadership player we have to pay Sturt $25,000 for a player who hardly represented them at league level. Surely the incentive for us there is to appoint a leadership player from the Port Magpies.

This was in the original SANFL statement in 2013

Top Up players – leadership player
  • Port Adelaide Magpies support team can contract one ‘leadership’ player per season.
  • 28 years and over, must have been on PAFC AFL or PAMFC list.
As I read the above the leadership player's age has been reduced but he can come from players on original PAMFC lists. We could go and get a former Port Magpie player and pay him $20,000 plus $500 per game and not pay the SANFL blood suckers a rhazoo. As an example Zane Kirkwood is only 27 so he is only slightly older than Trengove. As I read it we would be paying Zane $30,000 to play for the Port Magpies and avoid a $25,000 fee.

Basically the sanfl picks our side for us now. And this is Port Adelaide is it? There was a lot of screeching and squawking when I started a thread a while back that Port Adelaide in the sanfl was nothing more than the Power reserves and so should wear a Power guernsey derivative.

Retire the prison bars from the sanfl, wear them when we can on the big stage.

Port Adelaide in the sanfl is dead. We are not allowed to be competitive. That is not Port Adelaide.

I’d like some clarification on the interstate players aged (turning) 19 or 20 that can only be listed for 2 years. If they live in SA for a 3rd year (say, turning 21), what is the difference between them and a 21 year old SA player which can be recruited willy nilly as per the first dot point? Are they compelled to go try out for a SANFL club? At which point would they no longer be considered an ‘interstate’ player? I would imagine that the focus will be on 18-19 year old NGA and FS players but there would be a need at times for some bigger bodied/mature players to support to our skinny first year draftees, particularly in a depleted squad, and if they are willing to be that player long term and the club wants them to stick around, then why can’t they be retained beyond 2 years? Think the Anthony Biemans type - from interstate, big body, happy to stay in SA.

Basically the sanfl picks our side for us now. And this is Port Adelaide is it? There was a lot of screeching and squawking when I started a thread a while back that Port Adelaide in the sanfl was nothing more than the Power reserves and so should wear a Power guernsey derivative.

Port Adelaide in the sanfl is dead. We are not allowed to be competitive. That is not Port Adelaide.

I agreed with you at the time Ford and sadly I still have to agree.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agreed with you at the time Ford and sadly I still have to agree.

Yep. It's at that point where what we do from here will only be dragging the magpie name through the mud as our original sides and programs fade into history. If we're going to go through reforms and bring it all into line to benefit the AFL side, then the reserves side should reflect the AFL side in terms of name and branding.

The following maybe more suited to the Unpopular Opinions thread but it also fits here

The only worry I have in all this is how it might affect the development of our young players/non starting 22.

The way I have always viewed it is, Port Adelaide joined the AFL in 1996 (first season 1997)

From that point on, I only really cared about how the CLUB/team fared in the AFL while keeping tabs on how the Port team was going in the SANFL.

As we all know, the Magpies were not our Reserves side as they were distributed around the SANFL clubs.

The Magpies played for the Port Adelaide Magpies Football Club which in my view, was a new club created for the SANFL

This depending on who you want to believe was foisted upon us by the SANFL or was a decision made by the club once we gained entry to the AFL.

OneClub in my view was just a way to decrease the costs of having 2 sets of administration and to appease a small number of people who preached that Port Adelaide (AFL) had somehow stolen the history of the true Port Adelaide.

I love the Prison Bar jumper and if I had it my way, it would be the jumper we would be wearing week in week out. The jumper belongs to the Port Adelaide Football Club. Of course due to pathetic reason, we are not permitted to wear it so I agree with Doctor Feel that our reserves side should now reflect our AFL brand, image or whatever you want to call it.

This is the price we have to pay because we chose to join the AFL but no-one can ever take away our proud history.

Correct we don't need selectors any more it is all done for us.
I think 2017 highlighted this when Summo was forced to play reserves football because he wasn't an AFL listed player however when the finals began he was counted as one of the 17 AFL listed players who were allowed to be selected.
Corrupt the lot of them and we have become exactly what they wanted.

I’d like some clarification on the interstate players aged (turning) 19 or 20 that can only be listed for 2 years. If they live in SA for a 3rd year (say, turning 21), what is the difference between them and a 21 year old SA player which can be recruited willy nilly as per the first dot point? Are they compelled to go try out for a SANFL club? At which point would they no longer be considered an ‘interstate’ player? I would imagine that the focus will be on 18-19 year old NGA and FS players but there would be a need at times for some bigger bodied/mature players to support to our skinny first year draftees, particularly in a depleted squad, and if they are willing to be that player long term and the club wants them to stick around, then why can’t they be retained beyond 2 years? Think the Anthony Biemans type - from interstate, big body, happy to stay in SA.
Why can't they be retained?

Because pissant SANFL clubs want to gloat about beating PAFC and feel like they are getting some form of vengeance.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Just call the club what it is Southern power. Just another afl franchise. We have lost our heartland, our juniors, our zones, the foundations on what made this club for 140 years... now this...

Just call the club what it is Southern power. Just another afl franchise. We have lost our heartland, our juniors, our zones, the foundations on what made this club for 140 years... now this...

Yes you have lost all of that to join the biggest and best competition in the country. I know its sad for old die hard magpie supporters like my grandmother who doesnt understand. But I am assuming most of you on bigfooty are between the age of 20 and 60 so were between the ages of not born and 40 when Port entered. So those between the age of baby and 20 when Port entered probably dont care about the Magpies anyway and its more the 30-40 who are now 50-60 that do care. In 15-20 years time it will be all about the AFL and I am expecting that a reserves comp will be formed in the next 3 or so years where you will be wearing a Power Guernsey in both forms.

Im not saying forget your heritage. You should never forget it and at heritage round by all means get out the prison bar magpie Guernsey and stick it to collingwood and their president. But its probably time to see yourselves as the PAFC nicknamed the Power.

Yes you have lost all of that to join the biggest and best competition in the country. I know its sad for old die hard magpie supporters like my grandmother who doesnt understand. But I am assuming most of you on bigfooty are between the age of 20 and 60 so were between the ages of not born and 40 when Port entered. So those between the age of baby and 20 when Port entered probably dont care about the Magpies anyway and its more the 30-40 who are now 50-60 that do care. In 15-20 years time it will be all about the AFL and I am expecting that a reserves comp will be formed in the next 3 or so years where you will be wearing a Power Guernsey in both forms.

Im not saying forget your heritage. You should never forget it and at heritage round by all means get out the prison bar magpie Guernsey and stick it to collingwood and their president. But its probably time to see yourselves as the PAFC nicknamed the Power.
With all due respect... * off.

So instead of wearing the Prison Bars at AFL and SANFL level we want to remove it everywhere?

This isn’t Port Adelaide at any level. This franchise is a timid imposter.

Like I give a crap about a 5 year old jumper that we’ve won 0 finals in. Get rid of that one before losing the Prison Bars.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back