Savage + picks 18 & 19 for Macca + picks 24 & 59

Remove this Banner Ad

Reading km's write up on acres.. He was clearly rated an elite ball user as a junior.. He is still a great decision maker.. But his kicking style and kicking itself is average.. What happened?

Or was it more his ability to find so much time and space he rarely turned it over.. Which is is starting to do at this level

Astounded we got out the door of the shop with this trade done. I'm so happy the rest of the AFL judge Macca on his DT score, and not on his hitouts, and especially his hitouts to advantage.

I think last year, we got Hickey, assuming he'd be second ruck to McEvoy, and then realised he was better than McEvoy. With Stanley turning the corner fitness wise, and Pierce's accelerated development, the Saintss could see where the wind was going.

We sold Macca at the perfect point: where his potential is at its peak, before it starts seriously declining. If we tried next year, We'd be trading away our backup ruck, and be lucky to get a 20 pick by itself.

Well done Pelch.
It's interesting, because most of the moaning came from opposition fans saying, "Saints, what have you done?!"

I remember me making this post at the time, and it being pretty indicative of most of our fans.

We knew.

When you think about it...

It was actually Pick 18, 19, Savage and Franklin for Hartung, McEvoy and elevated Ceglar pick.

This trade is a win for Hawthorn.
But it will be a win for St Kilda in 3-4 years time.
Short term pain for long term gain.

139-are_you_a_wizard.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have us with Savage, pick 18, pick 19 and Franklin.

Hawthorn lost Franklin but we never had him
No, I didn't.

I have it as they lost Franklin also for a pick that got sent to us.

Franklin remains a Hawk and they don't get that pick 19 compo.

Reading km's write up on acres.. He was clearly rated an elite ball user as a junior.. He is still a great decision maker.. But his kicking style and kicking itself is average.. What happened?

Or was it more his ability to find so much time and space he rarely turned it over.. Which is is starting to do at this level

This, he is going to be special...

Also the difference in pace between TAC and AFL is enormous. He had a ridiculous amount of time to think and execute as a junior. Now, less so.

Just needs game time to get used to the speed of the game, I don't believe his (very good) skills are gone or were never there.

Be good to hear what Knightmare thinks of him these days and whether he can still reach the highs he predicted pre-draft.

My Hawks mate was rapt to get Macca, but unhappy to lose Savage.
This has been
a win for Hawks
a win for Macca
A win, win, win for Saints with Savage, Acres and Dunstan
...and a massive loss for those hand-wringing "what have you done Saints, trading away your future captain?" experts in the media.

Was stoked with this trade from day one. The way people carried on was like ruckmen were just irreplaceable. Cashed in on Macca at the perfect time and are now reaping the rewards. Two mids and an extremely damaging flanker, Savage is taking the piss with some of the passes he pulls off.

Was stoked with this trade from day one. The way people carried on was like ruckmen were just irreplaceable. Cashed in on Macca at the perfect time and are now reaping the rewards. Two mids and an extremely damaging flanker, Savage is taking the piss with some of the passes he pulls off.
I was annoyed first off but grew to it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back