Preview Season 7, Semi Final v Collingwood: Saturday 12 November @ Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Adelaide v Collingwood
Saturday 12 November
3:10pm
Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

After jumping out of the blocks in the Qualifying Final, we were overrun by Melbourne, while Collingwood held on for dear life to beat a fast finishing Western Bulldogs.

Who will face Brisbane in the Preliminary Final?

Last edited:

I just don't see it this year. Too many young bodies and some of the top liners have dropped off. Melb on a mission this year. They will win it.

I keep fluctuating between Brisbane and Melbourne, but I agree, it will be one of them. Hard to get super excited by this week's final knowing that we then have to go through Brisbane away and Melbourne away.

It's not impossible but you'd be a fool to bet on it.

It will be interesting to see who they replace Randall with. Doc moving Biddell to the forward line at the end of last weeks game seemed to indicate he has finally realised our marking in the F50 leaves a lot to be desired.

Probably means Whitley comes back in again, which wouldnt be the worst decision seeing as she can also be played in defence if needed. Personally I would like to see Tonon tried as a high half forward. She was good in her draft year at hitting targets and its our forward entries that are our main weakness at the moment. Pretty sure she know were the goals are as well.

Quick question for those going to the open training session tomorrow night:
(AFLW: Crows to host open training session)

If the session starts at 5.30, how long do they usually train for and then how long do they stay for the autographs/photos? I was thinking it would be about an hour training and an hour for the photos etc? Hoping to get there around 6 ish as my 10 year old is keen for some signatures on her guernsey.

Cheers

Hang on, Randall passed all the tests, yet the league stepped in and banned her from playing anyway? Yeah.......

I've heard a couple of people say this, but that's not what the AFC article indicates. She passed the concussion test, then the AFL provided the club with some additional footage of the event, and based on that footage the club decided she shouldn't play.

Is there a different version of that story out there?

Sounded like AFL chief medical officer approached the club and they had discussions with our doctors, but would guess that is not something the club can argue once the AFL's people have said it's a no.

The press conference with Matthew Clarke and Chelsea Randall was a bit awkward.

Might just be me but Doc seemed to have the "no point arguing about something you can't change, just happy she's fine" attitude and Randall was ready to unleash on the AFL.

It was like we want to say something, but we won't say anything, but we want to, but we cant.

Different stages of acceptance I guess.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the second time this year we've dropped McKinnon for seemingly no reason. Possibly she is just playing a bit hurt?

Tonon for Button at least makes sense, and Whiteley is (unfortunately) the most sensible replacement for Randall.

If we're bringing Rajcic in for McKinnon, that sounds like Prowse will play ruck (along with Gould, obviously)

I've heard a couple of people say this, but that's not what the AFC article indicates. She passed the concussion test, then the AFL provided the club with some additional footage of the event, and based on that footage the club decided she shouldn't play.

Is there a different version of that story out there?
On Seven news last night it was intimated that the Crows did all the concussion protocols, and cleared Chelsea to play, then the AFLW stepped in with extra footage from the game, and the decision was reversed. The footage showed Chelsea falling over as she went back to kick the ball. It was stated that Chelsea said she tripped over her undone shoe lace, but that apparently wasn't a good enough excuse. The press conference did look a bit awkward.
After the sport's report Jane Doyle commented to Bruce Abernathey that it was perhaps a trial run (regarding the AFLW stepping in) and wondered if it would be introduced in the men's competition. She was clearly not happy with the decision, and neither was I!

On Seven news last night it was intimated that the Crows did all the concussion protocols, and cleared Chelsea to play, then the AFLW stepped in with extra footage from the game, and the decision was reversed. The footage showed Chelsea falling over as she went back to kick the ball. It was stated that Chelsea said she tripped over her undone shoe lace, but that apparently wasn't a good enough excuse. The press conference did look a bit awkward.
After the sport's report Jane Doyle commented to Bruce Abernathey that it was perhaps a trial run (regarding the AFLW stepping in) and wondered if it would be introduced in the men's competition. She was clearly not happy with the decision, and neither was I!

Presumably the footage the AFLW showed was not just Chelsea slipping over. We'd already seen that footage. I assume it would have been from the incident that (potentially) gave her the concussion, right?

IN: Rajcic, Whiteley, Tonon.

OUT: Randall, McKinnon, Button.

Rajcic and Whiteley in hahaha 😂, must be an Adelaide Football Club tradition that you keep on selecting players that you know you’re going to delist at the end of the season over those your keeping.

Deserve to lose with those changes.

Rajcic and Whiteley in hahaha 😂, must be an Adelaide Football Club tradition that you keep on selecting players that you know you’re going to delist at the end of the season over those your keeping.

Deserve to lose with those changes.
I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that McKinnon needs to miss for some real reason (as opposed to being omitted which would be absurd). Prowse moves to the ruck so they need another defender and you're talking about the likes of Ward or Simmons as alternatives to Rajcic.

Whiteley up forward just highlights our desperate need to recruit some forwards worth a damn. After Woodland and Ponter the cupboard is absolutely bare in terms of players who can score goals. Randall is clearly the next best but she should go back to defence. Dowrick only barely qualified as a goalscoring forward before the ACL injury, and who knows if she'll even get back to that level again.

Considering Chelsea did not play a grand final due to a previous concussion, and she was still adamant that she tripped on her laces and it was not a concussion makes me wonder what the footage was. She was not happy about it.

Also, not happy that McKinnon was dropped, especially for Rajcic. Best we can hope for is that Collingwood play poorly and we scrape through.

SF-Instagram-Web-Lineup-1080x1350.png

I don't know, but it is infuriating.

I don't know, but it is infuriating.
I’ve just studied the footage from your post. Personally, I think it’s another case of the AFL trying to flex their muscles and meanwhile trying to shaft us another one.

You can see she was winded when an opponent landed on her back, and she was slow to get up. And then that little stumble backwards, but this still fits with her statement of being tripped from her untied shoelaces.

The positives are actually there on the footage also:
  • responding to all her verbal cues: understanding it was her free kick, understanding she had the blood rule and had to give the ball to someone else for the kick
  • to me the best evidence that she was fine: running in a straight line without any stumbling, back to the bench. If you’re concussed, generally it would be hard just to walk in a straight line, let alone run in a line.
- getting up gingerly and stumbling doesn’t imply a concussion btw, it could be from being out of puff from all the running, being winded, fatigued, nosebleeds etc. It’s really by assessing someone in person with the concussion tests, that will likely give you the best form of assessment.

Then you have our club doctors clearing her from a concussion, when in the past, she was ruled out by the same doctors a few years back.

TLDR - * you AFL head honchos.

Considering Chelsea did not play a grand final due to a previous concussion, and she was still adamant that she tripped on her laces and it was not a concussion makes me wonder what the footage was. She was not happy about it.

Also, not happy that McKinnon was dropped, especially for Rajcic. Best we can hope for is that Collingwood play poorly and we scrape through.
Basically, she’s unhappy that she was cleared and some ass from the AFL department decided she was concussed because of...probability.

Perfectly timed trial run. 👌
Gotta love the way the AFL innovate.

What a joke.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back