September 11 - Annual 'Where were you?' Thread

Not that it's of any interest but I remember the day fairly well. Was in grade 5. Got up early for school and it was in tv instead of cartoons. Me and Nana just stared at it, she was visibly upset. I was staring at I think it was the first tower burning and the fact it was real and live, not a movie was fairly scary. Can't remember the timing of the plane crashing into the second tower and if I seen that live or just many times from replays. Went to school and the teacher talked to us about it and was explaining what was going on. Answering any questions. Even though it was a bunch of 10, 11 and 12 yr Olds there was some fairly thorough discussion about it. On reflection quite mature. I've watched alot of footage of the day over the years but it's hard to stomach.
Yeah if you got up for school in Australia (?) it was definitely replays. All that happened hours earlier, by the time of our breakfast tv it was like mid afternoon there.

Yeah if you got up for school in Australia (?) it was definitely replays. All that happened hours earlier, by the time of our breakfast tv it was like mid afternoon there.
Well there ya go. I guess our whole house was asleep and oblivious until early next morning. Safe to say alot of Australians who were up at the time didn't get much sleep then

Well there ya go. I guess our whole house was asleep and oblivious until early next morning. Safe to say alot of Australians who were up at the time didn't get much sleep then
Yeah Tuesday night on the east coast in the early days of the web with less mobile prevalence, I can't imagine too many were up then. My household slept through it until I turned on Sunrise at dawn.

There's a lot of strange coincidences and premonitions surrounding the events of September 11 -

no, there are just a lot of stupid people who don't understand causality, coincidence or "strange".

the Pentagon opening on September 11 1941 to name just two of many - and recently I discovered another odd one.

and then there are people who just accept random, inaccurate nonsense.

Ground was broken on 11 September 1941, and the building was dedicated on 15 January 1943.

Prior to the collapse of the WTC Twin Towers on 11th September 2001, New York's deadliest building fire lay 90 years in the past and was at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory in March 1911, an appalling tragedy costing 146 lives that led to many major reforms in fire safety and working conditions in the state.

The last living link to the Triangle disaster - 103-year-old Rose Cohen who escaped the flames as a 13-year-old - would die earlier in the year in March 2001. Who would have thought that the record death-toll in the Triangle fire, having lasted 90-years, would last just another six months after the death of the last survivor?

who would have thought, indeed. "6 months" is clearly incredible and much more relevant than 3 months, 459 days, 71,250 minutes or * insert whichever irrelevant timeframe you're into *.

i mean lol.

Got home from cricket training and remember finishing dinner and watching it all unfold. Had work the next day pushing trollies and there was a lot of anger amongst everyone.

All photos are from a while ago

smell-agree.gif

Back