News Shane Rogers has quit Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Disappointing thing is that if we've offered him a contract and he's signed it and still left is that we've obviously backed the guys in, he's committed to the job then turned around and left. For me this stinks. Would be interesting to know why exactly he's left with this being the case and his job nowhere near done.

I did get a bit of a feel that he was going along ok. Without reviewing things in depth and going through the draft and looking what he's missed it's hard to say and a little too early to tell.

He seemed like a professional who had everything in order. You'd hate it to be a situation where he couldn't get everything he wanted so he kicked up a stink and left, you'd really hope he had a bloody good reason to leave.

You'd hope it didn't have anything to do with Mathieson who showed himself to be a bit of a halfwit (stick to what you know) when it comes to knowing what was going on at Carlton. Yes he was right criticising our recruiting but he was wrong to criticise a bloke who had been in the job for only a moment.

Luckily he left at this time of the year, at least it gives us time to get things back on track.

It makes me nervous when we lose the most important person at the footy club. This is quite literally a make or break moment for the footy club. We can not afford another Wayne Hughes.

Disappointing thing is that if we've offered him a contract and he's signed it and still left is that we've obviously backed the guys in, he's committed to the job then turned around and left. For me this stinks. Would be interesting to know why exactly he's left with this being the case and his job nowhere near done.

I did get a bit of a feel that he was going along ok. Without reviewing things in depth and going through the draft and looking what he's missed it's hard to say and a little too early to tell.

He seemed like a professional who had everything in order. You'd hate it to be a situation where he couldn't get everything he wanted so he kicked up a stink and left, you'd really hope he had a bloody good reason to leave.

You'd hope it didn't have anything to do with Mathieson who showed himself to be a bit of a halfwit (stick to what you know) when it comes to knowing what was going on at Carlton. Yes he was right criticising our recruiting but he was wrong to criticise a bloke who had been in the job for only a moment.

Luckily he left at this time of the year, at least it gives us time to get things back on track.

It makes me nervous when we lose the most important person at the footy club. This is quite literally a make or break moment for the footy club. We can not afford another Wayne Hughes.

It always intrigues me when people say he was "only in the job for a moment".

Rogers has been at the Club since 2007. That's 8 years. He was Wayne Hughes' 2IC before he got given the top job.

From the Club's website ..........

http://www.carltonfc.com.au/news/2015-02-25/rogers-parts-ways-with-blues

Carlton’s National Recruiting Manager Shane Rogers has decided to part ways with the Club.
Rogers has been at Carlton since 2007, initially as a Recruiting Officer before being appointed as National Recruiting Manager in 2012.

Carlton’s Head of Football Andrew McKay says Rogers departs with the Club’s best wishes.

“Shane has been a tremendous asset to our recruiting team and will be missed,” McKay said.
“He has been diligent and thorough in examining up and coming talent, securing the likes of Rising Star nominee Troy Menzel, first round pick Patrick Cripps and Irishmen Ciaran Byrne and Ciaran Sheehan.
“Shane has also played key roles in bringing experienced players to Carlton including Dale Thomas, Andrejs Everitt, Sam Docherty, Liam Jones, Kristian Jaksch, Mark Whiley and Jason Tutt.”

I've been told Rogers quit because he is completely disillusioned with how the football department is being run. Tipping point was the club hiring someone to do a role he believed he could better fulfill (SOS). Didn't appreciate having to report to someone with far less experience in the industry than he (again, that being SOS).

Also, FWIW, why is it whenever someone leaves the club, a large majority of posters on here have the mentality of 'good riddance'? All of us are/ have been/ will be full time employees and, at the end of the day, if you're not happy where you're working - you quit. In the same way Rogers found the environment unfavourable at Carlton and so he quit. Can we not take the blinkers off for one second and look at the situation from a purely unbiased POV? Rogers quitting stinks of poor man-management. To blame Rogers or to pretend we're happy (or should be happy) to see him go is pathetic. The situation is in no way ideal and I really don't like it one bit.

I've been told Rogers quit because he is completely disillusioned with how the football department is being run. Tipping point was the club hiring someone to do a role he believed he could better fulfill (SOS). Didn't appreciate having to report to someone with far less experience in the industry than he (again, that being SOS).
Rogers must have known thats why we got sos back to the club, and honestly Rogers doesnt have a great track record with his selections over the last 5 or more years. Alot of 1st round picks not at the club any longer or in the league plus selections like McCarthey and Mitchell to name a few who just weren't afl players. Surely sos cant do any worse than Rogers has done. And sos also has the connections to all the young gws players he drafted to there club. Cameron and Treloar would be brilliant pick ups if we could pty them away from the giants, a possibility that sos has and that Rogers never would. Personally im not upset to see Rogers go, im more excited to see sos back home. Go Blues..

Bad mistake by the CFC with just a hint of conspiracy attached.

Not sure what the angle is for the club doing what they've done.....and they have done it......so they best have plan A secured.

There will be some unhappy players in the short term but they'll 'get over it' I guess.
We all get over things but I feel we've lost more than just another individual here.

There was an article posted earlier, Rogers was thinking of quitting in June last year, so it been simmering.
If you're not happy in your work place, you move one.
So HARKER Rogers was close with some players?

honestly Rogers doesnt have a great track record with his selections over the last 5 or more years. Alot of 1st round picks not at the club any longer or in the league plus selections like McCarthey and Mitchell to name a few who just weren't afl players. Surely sos cant do any worse than Rogers has done. And sos also has the connections to all the young gws players he drafted to there club. Cameron and Treloar would be brilliant pick ups if we could pty them away from the giants, a possibility that sos has and that Rogers never would. Personally im not upset to see Rogers go, im more excited to see sos back home. Go Blues..

Be careful what you wish for.
Rogers has done a great job since he's been running the recruiting in the last 2-3 years (before that he was 2IC).
Prior to that Wayne Hughes was in charge and the final decisions were deplorable.
SOS was a "Full Back of the Century" but may end up being a crap list manager.
I loved SOS as a player but we have lost Rogers who was getting runs on the board for someone who really is an unknown quantity.
Logic sometimes gets lost in the romance (sorry Lance!!).
A lot of EFC fans were excited to welcome home their prodigal son Tird - and look how that turned out.

perhaps it will lead to a less divided club.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Rogers earned his keep last year by turning the Jeffy draft pick into Clem Smith.

Makes you wonder if that was a big reason the club was happy to let Jeffy go so cheaply, knowing Clemmy would still be there at pick 61 ..

Clem isn't the finished product yet, still has a few wrinkles to iron out/improve in his game, but boy, based on what I saw at the intraclub game, we have an absolute beauty on our hands.

Hope people remember that before wanting to go on and wave pitchforks at Rogers.

He has left the club in much healthier shape then when he arrived..
top post :thumbsu:

Not surprised. SOS's appointment effectively demoted Rogers and he didn't like it so he left. Fair enough. Thanks for your service, good luck for the future, see you later.

A lot of people are saying that SOS's record at GWS was unimpressive simply because he had so many options due to concessions. I would argue that recruiting to create a team from scratch would be the most intense and difficult recruiting of all because of the myriad considerations in the equation. I think he will do a great job for us, and if he gets a good 2IC who is on the same page so much the better.

There was an article posted earlier, Rogers was thinking of quitting in June last year, so it been simmering.
If you're not happy in your work place, you move one.
So HARKER Rogers was close with some players?

I thought the club did well to retain him after we tried to lure Graham Wright to the club.
Has a great nose for talent, and we've seen this in the previous 3 drafts he's been RM.
A big loss for the club.

Rogers obviously feels he was primed for the top job and I can understand why he has walked away. He has worked under Hughes, who let's face it didn't do much for us and now in the last 2 years there is hope on this board again for the players we have picked up. Time will tell how these players pan out, but it has given us hope.
I'm hoping the guys that were working under Hughes were the reals talent spotters in our selections.

I would be interested to know how many of those bemoaning Rogers' departure were front & centre in criticising the drafting of Boekhorst & a year earlier, Cripps.

Is it a reach for me to suggest that some of our supporters will automatically adopt a contrary view to any decisions made at our club?

We have had 2 years of very left field selections, particularly first round picks. Cripps looks the goods but is a long way to be proven a good pick and Boekhurst v Leverde/Goddard and before we realise what Ahern/Peter Wright end up v Mark Whiley & Jacksch.. It might all come together but we are a long way from considering Rogers time at Princes Park a success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back