Sheffield Shield : New Points System

Remove this Banner Ad

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Win : 6 points (previously 6 points)
Draw : 1 point (preiously 0 points)
1st Innings Lead : 0 points (previously 2 points)

Bonus points apply in the first 100 overs of each team's first innings
Batting : .01 for each run over 200
Bowling : 0.5 points for 5th, 7th and 9th wickets

What do we all think?

I like the idea of there being a difference between a draw and a loss. One point probably isn't enough really.

Bonus points remove the game from being as Test-like as possible in my view. I understand wanting to promote attacking cricket, but bonus points seem too artifical to me.

I expect everyone's views will differ considerably.

i like but would still prefer to keep 2 points for first innings lead. stupid that if two teams draw, the team that scored most on first innings can get less points thanks to the bonus points.

this new system will definitely add a hell of a lot of permeations coming into the final couple of rounds.

RIP the top order grafter. Fire up the David Warner opener production line.

Will be interesting too with teams chasing quick runs for a declaration. Will they instead start to declare 4, 6, 8 down after building a first innings lead to stop the opposition getting the bowling bonus points.

I would almost be tempted to say if you get bowled out or declare 8 or 9 down before the 100 overs your batting bonus points get halved.... to encourage teams to survive to the 100 overs cause that is something we haven't shown a great propensity for over recent years... but then you'd start to make things a bit complex. this change will already throw enough people around.

I would of prefered to see a 1st innings lead kept in but maybe reduced to 1 point. So if a game ends in a draw its 2 points to the leading team and 1 to the trailing team (before bonus points).

As for the points themselves I am interested to see how it goes.

Will be interesting too with teams chasing quick runs for a declaration. Will they instead start to declare 4, 6, 8 down after building a first innings lead to stop the opposition getting the bowling bonus points.
May happen but teams also aren't going to be giving away wickets with overly aggressive batting either, to stop the opposing getting bonus points.

Getting rid of the first innings points is the best innovation out of all of it. Just sucks hours out of each game. You don't win tests on first innings results - have to be tactical about how long to bat on for, time needed to bowl teams out etc. Always have to have the end result in mind.

Don't mind the bonus points either. Teams aren't going to slog because they'll just gift points to their opponents for wickets.

So after one day, it's fair to say the teams are still feeling out the new system.

Despite a good looking deck and batting first, Tassie will manage a measly 0.15 bonus points after a tough slog.
NSW were in a commanding position but gave it away in the final hour, which will almost certainly see them ending with less bonus points than Victoria (despite probably holding the upper hand).

Will be interesting to see if Queensland go for a dash in the first 4 overs tomorrow, or try to push along and make the first innings total extra formidable.

Getting rid of the first innings points is the best innovation out of all of it. Just sucks hours out of each game. You don't win tests on first innings results - have to be tactical about how long to bat on for, time needed to bowl teams out etc. Always have to have the end result in mind.

Don't mind the bonus points either. Teams aren't going to slog because they'll just gift points to their opponents for wickets.

Haven't given this a lot of thought, but I do tend to agree with your logic. 1st Innings points really shouldn't be an issue in the longer form of the game. I remember Ian Chappell as captain of SA making all sorts of adventurous declarations in the 1st Innings, often declaring 50 runs behind and setting up outright chances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually quite like this new points system. Shakes things up a bit and can help a team batting second to try and set up a win by declaring before overtaking the team that batted first, without giving up first innings points. Just like what SA did today.

If it ain't broke don't fix it, if sides didn't want to play for the six points, then they didn't make the final, all the while you wanted sides to be working towards an outright result but in some instances two point was ok. Bonus batting points is a flawed system in my view. The old system worked well for a long time and ultimately teams finishing on the same points were separated by quotient, which means every wicket and run counts.

Law 43

What's the measure though for whether something is broke or not?

Proof will be in the pudding obviously but the comp was in need of a spruce up IMO.

The Shield Final was a spruce up itself.
What was glaringly wrong with the way it was? Nothing...therefore if it ain't broke......

So what's the measure? Crowds? Interest? Competetiveness? Australian team performance? Would think all of these would come under question.

It remains that test matches require a fourth innings result so I like a move in that direction.

So what's the measure? Crowds? Interest? Competetiveness? Australian team performance? Would think all of these would come under question.

It remains that test matches require a fourth innings result so I like a move in that direction.
Crowds - mate they are long gone and they are not coming back anytime soon, particularly while we promote inferior products and players like Maxwell and Finch in BBL.
Interest - refer above.
Competitiveness - I actually think the new points system dumbs things down a bit, maybe trying to make a closer competition, that doesn't necessarily make it better.
Australian team performance - the only measure, sadly what sits below is eroding fast. I can't see how the points system will aid that.

Not sure what you've written there is much of an endorsement of the status quo, but will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I hope some pressure will be placed on curators to prepare wickets with some life in them early, or that will wear and tear as the game goes on.

Not sure what you've written there is much of an endorsement of the status quo, but will be interesting to see how it plays out.

I hope some pressure will be placed on curators to prepare wickets with some life in them early, or that will wear and tear as the game goes on.

Underrated item. As we move to drop ins, they seem to becoming flatter and flatter. A move a few years ago to result pitches was condemned by those in high places and so more "Test" like conditions were ordered.

What is not taken into consideration is that horticultural practices and the science behind preparing pitches and the general equipment available has also improved markedly. The tracks I produce for my own club are truer and flatter than ever before. They just don't deteriorate like they used to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back