Society/Culture Should cannabis be legalised?

Remove this Banner Ad

yes a million (tax dollars)times over.

PLus imaginae all the happiness and peace.

All those people imaging no heaven or hell below us.

Evil politicians and V-gina rhineharts of the world will never let this happen.

Would be be their mindless slaves then?

santa-rosa-marijuana-raid.jpg

These guys (FBI) raided legal Californian pot gardens

http://www.commondreams.org/further/2012/09/27

A team of 150 combat-clad, flash-grenade-armed police officers and FBI agents swarmed a Northern California neighborhood in the area's largest-ever raid against uniquitous backyard pot gardens, handcuffing residents up and down the street, even as feds raided medical marijuana dispensaries in L.A. as part of an ongoing crackdown

What they are probably doing is protecting the revenue sources of the CIA.

Found myself laughing through this film at the reasons why marijuana is currently illegal across the world. It has to only be a matter of time before it becomes legal... doesn't it?

Well, it should (judging by the poll numbers) be made fully legalised in Colorado, Washington state and Oregan this November. The US Federal Court is also looking at rescheduling it and there's talk of decriminalising it in the Northern Territory.

Okay, the hunches were good and now the science is beginning to emerge:

Cannabidiol inhibits THC-elicited paranoid symptoms and hippocampal-dependent memory impairment

Community-based studies suggest that cannabis products that are high in Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) but low in cannabidiol (CBD) are particularly hazardous for mental health. Laboratory-based studies are ideal for clarifying this issue because THC and CBD can be administered in pure form, under controlled conditions. In a between-subjects design, we tested the hypothesis that pre-treatment with CBD inhibited THC-elicited psychosis and cognitive impairment. Healthy participants were randomised to receive oral CBD 600mg (n=22) or placebo (n=26), 210 min ahead of intravenous (IV) THC (1.5 mg). Post-THC, there were lower PANSS positive scores in the CBD group, but this did not reach statistical significance. However, clinically significant positive psychotic symptoms (defined a priori as increases ≥3 points) were less likely in the CBD group compared with the placebo group, odds ratio (OR)=0.22 (χ2=4.74, p<0.05). In agreement, post-THC paranoia, as rated with the State Social Paranoia Scale (SSPS), was less in the CBD group compared with the placebo group (t=2.28, p<0.05). Episodic memory, indexed by scores on the Hopkins Verbal Learning Task-revised (HVLT-R), was poorer, relative to baseline, in the placebo pre-treated group (-10.6±18.9%) compared with the CBD group (-0.4%±9.7 %) (t=2.39, p<0.05). These findings support the idea that high-THC/low-CBD cannabis products are associated with increased risks for mental health.

http://jop.sagepub.com/content/early/2012/09/28/0269881112460109

The governments of the world now need to step up and provide legally available cannabis containing a favorable THC/CBD balance, in order to protect the citizenry from potent black market strains that can lead to THC induced psychotic episodes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'd like to see pot legalised so that I can at least make sure the dope I'm smoking was grown ethically. I love a smoke and I'd be much happier knowing that what I'm smoking hasn't been grown in a pokie junkie's house who has been given the choice of doing this or having the s**t kicked out of them.
Marijuana is a peaceful, harmless drug and should be produced in such a manner.

I'd like to see pot legalised so that I can at least make sure the dope I'm smoking was grown ethically. I love a smoke and I'd be much happier knowing that what I'm smoking hasn't been grown in a pokie junkie's house who has been given the choice of doing this or having the s**t kicked out of them.
Marijuana is a peaceful, harmless drug and should be produced in such a manner.

Your givin' far too much away there, Gough (agree with you entirely though). I know of pokie junkies that deal shard to feed their pokie jones. Folk don't really appreciate the severity of this addiction

Decriminalise drug use, say experts after six-year study

Advisors say no serious rise in consumption is likely if possession of small amounts of controlled drugs is allowed

A six-year study of Britain's drug laws by leading scientists, police officers, academics and experts has concluded it is time to introduce decriminalisation.

The report by the UK Drug Policy Commission (UKDPC), an independent advisory body, says possession of small amounts of controlled drugs should no longer be a criminal offence and concludes the move will not lead to a significant increase in use.

The experts say the criminal sanctions imposed on the 42,000 people sentenced each year for possession of all drugs – and the 160,000 given cannabis warnings – should be replaced with simple civil penalties such as a fine, attendance at a drug awareness session or a referral to a drug treatment programme.

They also say that imposing minimal or no sanctions on those growing cannabis for personal use could go some way to undermining the burgeoning illicit cannabis factories controlled by organised crime.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2012/oct/15/decriminalise-drug-use-say-experts

It has to only be a matter of time before it becomes legal... doesn't it?

The average age of Labor and Liberal National politicians on this issue seems to be about 70...

Add in police who are dead against it since it means much of their work has been ultimately pointless.

Add in alcohol companies who wouldn't want a legal competitor.

Add in a country that is apathetic about almost anything 'political' (except foreigners arriving in boats).

"While the government welcomes the UKDPC's contribution to the drugs debate, we remain confident that our ambitious approach to tackling drugs - outlined in our drugs strategy - is the right one."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19942378

It's hilarious that the government doesn't classify alcohol as a drug.

There's too much taxpayer money locked up in too many careers.

It's drugs politics, not drugs policy, that needs an inquiry

The sanity of politicians in opposition turns into the darkest taboo in power. This is the greatest failure of modern statecraft

......There is no reason in all this. We are dealing with the darkest of bourgeois taboos. Of all the things on which the world has declared "war" in modern times, self-harming substances must be the daftest. Yet the result has been to destroy millions of lives, expend trillions of dollars, and helplessly corrupt sovereign states, from Afghanistan to Colombia. It is the greatest single failure of modern statecraft. It is the dark ages, and we are still in them.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/oct/16/drugs-politics-not-drugs-policy-inquiry

Remove this Banner Ad

Back