Should Sydney and GWS be allowed academies in strong footballing communities?

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 13, 2006
melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
geelong
Given the continued success of Sydney off the back of the development of a vast quantity of top end academy picks, as well as GWS feeding off this despite significant exodus of players, the question simply is should GWS and Sydney be given such strong regions that are already compromised of established AFL gun kids, or should they be removed and given similar zonings to all the other clubs in developing areas?

A thread like this always appears when we have a good win.
I Feel You Reaction GIF by CBS

Given the continued success of Sydney off the back of the development of a vast quantity of top end academy picks, as well as GWS feeding off this despite significant exodus of players, the question simply is should GWS and Sydney be given such strong regions that are already compromised of established AFL gun kids, or should they be removed and given similar zonings to all the other clubs in developing areas?

Of course IF you want to grow the game.

Local heroes will strengthen our game in the community & that will grow crowds.

Yes they should, but whilst looking at inequalities, is it fair that 1 club from a strong footballing community, has its own home ground that no other club shares and that due to this advantage of winning 90% of those home games has resulted in them playing in 6 of the past 15Gf's for 4 flags.

OP by a Cats supporter, the most favoured club in the comp! This a club that won the last GF by a massive margin, then spent off season harvesting a huge haul of talent from other clubs at discount rates, or for free and a bonus pick 7 thrown in!

How about the AFL really properly investigate the lucrative property deals all Geelong recruits seem to get into.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

OP by a Cats supporter, the most favoured club in the comp! This a club that won the last GF by a massive margin, then spent off season harvesting a huge haul of talent from other clubs at discount rates, or for free and a bonus pick 7 thrown in!

How about the AFL really properly investigate the lucrative property deals all Geelong recruits seem to get into.
Danger isn’t coming back mate. He’s gone.
Time to get over it 😂

Victorians don't think they get massive advantages. They are the nepo-babies of the AFL.
What advantages?? Some Victorian sides have struggled to hardly make the finals for decades or gone 40+ years without a flag. So what advantage exactly are you talking about?? I think results speak for themselves that plenty of Vic clubs have it the worst.

Yes they should, but whilst looking at inequalities, is it fair that 1 club from a strong footballing community, has its own home ground that no other club shares and that due to this advantage of winning 90% of those home games has resulted in them playing in 6 of the past 15Gf's for 4 flags.
You mean the town we have been growing with and building foundations in for the past 150 years is finally bearing fruits in terms of a quality demographic location and appealing relocation, is somehow considered an “advantage”?. Trite. Geelong for 100 years could hardly get a player to come down there or even consider the place. Did you consider this an advantage??

Some advantages are created through hard work and earned, others are gifted to people. Learn the difference.

Will give ‘em up once the under 18s is a national comp.
The Grand Final is shared nation wide.
The media isn’t a vfl mates get together.
Extend first contracts to 4 years.

My opinion of course.

Compromised draft? Remind me which club got a slew of players through compromised f/s drafts?
If you want to extend contracts to 4 years go ahead and negotiate them. Why would you even want a four year rookie stuck clogging your list who doesn’t want to be there?? Bizzare.

What advantages?? Some Victorian sides have struggled to hardly make the finals for decades or gone 40+ years without a flag. So what advantage exactly are you talking about?? I think results speak for themselves that plenty of Vic clubs have it the worst.

• Home Grand Final
  • Able to almost exclusively draft local talent to avoid go home factor.
  • Able to take advantage of the go home factor in ways non-Victorian clubs can't.
  • Able to pay players outside of the cap in slightly shifty ways
  • Plays in your home state 75% of the time.
  • Much less travelling
  • Able to bottom out without nearly as much fear of a mass player exodus, again due to having mostly players from Victoria.

and that is just off the top of my head. I am sure there are more.

You mean the town we have been growing with and building foundations in for the past 150 years is finally bearing fruits in terms of a quality demographic location and appealing relocation, is somehow considered an “advantage”?. Trite. Geelong for 100 years could hardly get a player to come down there or even consider the place. Did you consider this an advantage??

Some advantages are created through hard work and earned, others are gifted to people. Learn the difference.
Sydney and GWS are working hard to make their non AFL regions appealing to local talent who would otherwise turn to rugby, it takes time as you've pointed out, but im sure they'll get there.
In the meantime, lets appreciate their hard work and dedication to growing our great game in a rival codes backyard.

if we want the AFL to be a national comp, we must have strong NSW and Qld sides

if clubs don't like it, go back to the VFL, WFL or SANFL
If it is agenda based then that is fine. I guess don’t then bang on about equality and equity if you then hand our special academy regions to afl clubs that are chock full of first and second round draft picks in an attempt to keep them strong. This is quite a compromised system that has even seen alot of sides opt to trade out picks more frequently due to how compromised the draft order is.

Pick 17 commonly turns into pick 22-24 now due to how severely compromised the draft is.

• Home Grand Final
  • Able to almost exclusively draft local talent to avoid go home factor.
  • Able to take advantage of the go home factor in ways non-Victorian clubs can't.
  • Able to pay players outside of the cap in slightly shifty ways
  • Plays in your home state 75% of the time.
  • Much less travelling
  • Able to bottom out without nearly as much fear of a mass player exodus, again due to having mostly players from Victoria.

and that is just off the top of my head. I am sure there are more.
So you’re saying you have a bigger disadvantage in finals when you’re guaranteed every home final at the SCG in comparison to a club like geelong who gets 0 home finals at its home ground?? Who do you think is more disadvantaged most of the time

Sydney geelong WB st kilda
Sydney 100% of the time plays collingwood at SCG.
Geelong WB st kilda are forced to play collingwood at the MCG.

Who do you think has the bigger advantage?? You have a much easier pathway to the GF than a lot of other clubs do.

Outside of the cap is just trite.

I will use geelong as an example, we get 8-9 home games a year, the least of any side in the AFL. If Sydney or any other interstate side is strong that year, you only need to beat a couple of weak Vic sides away and you’re almost guaranteed a top 4 spot. Where as Vic sides have to play on even terms almost every week against each other and then a disadvantage against interstate sides away.

When you look at who has the advantage, Sydney has it 50% of the time, Melbourne clubs only have it playing an interstate side in Vic which is less than 50% of games.

What max exodus has Sydney experienced or Brisbane recently??? Or WCE or Fremantle??? They are generally very good at player retentiob

Sydney and GWS are working hard to make their non AFL regions appealing to local talent who would otherwise turn to rugby, it takes time as you've pointed out, but im sure they'll get there.
In the meantime, lets appreciate their hard work and dedication to growing our great game in a rival codes backyard.
Very simply put this should be run by the AFL not the teams. If it is a real priority and point of interest, then they will run it properly and efficiently.

So you're suggesting there's too many clubs in Victoria for the talent pool?

This is hardly a revelation, most people from outside of Victoria understand that when you try to squeeze 7 million people into that tiny little bit of land you call a state that the rest of the country afforded you all those years ago, you end up with a lot of inbreeding.
Inbreeding results in poor development and so its hardly surprising that you'll struggle to find 400 coordinated players to fill 10 lists.

Us outsiders have made the shift to drafting from outside the inbreeding zone that lies east of Horsham, which is why academies in NSW and other regions should be encouraged.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back