List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I seriously doubt we'd get anywhere close to what north got. when gill received their compo he went on AFL360 and said they are a perennially ****ed club and we need to 'fix them right, do it once and do it properly'. Because they need to get North out of the red they get the picks they get. no way they'll view us the same way as they view north
No WC marquee games, no WC finals at home, diminishing crowds, loss of general footy interest in WA, less investment in WA grass roots footy and a diminishing talent pool. Eventually it will start hurting the AFL as we've been a cash cow for a long time.
I'm sure someone can do a financial projection with some fancy visuals on the impact it will have on the AFL if WC and WA footy continue to decline. Better off for them if they give us a few priority picks now and make us at least competitive, then waiting until it hits their bottom line (and their bonuses).
Financial impact analysis may be more persuasive then purely "it isn't fair' footy related arguments.
Do you want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs AFL?

Should 100% ask for assistance.

I hate the idea of putting the hand out - But the 'complexities' of the draft, have meant the AFL-provided benefits that other clubs are reaping are directly impacting our ability to rebuild.

The fact the team above us on the ladder last year got handed 2 extra first round picks (not including the McKay compo) and our next pick got pushed back 12 places to pick 30 is not conducive to a side, that simply hasn't had access to top-end talent for 10 years (by AFL design), being able to rebuild.

Us being a "proud club" and saying no in the hope the VFL abolishes priority picks altogether afterwards is laughable.

We accomplish nothing with this attitude. Nothing.

We got absolutely dicked last year by their incompetence and mismanagment of the FA bands so much that our second round selection was pick ******* 30 instead of the pick 19-21 it should've been. Meanwhile north get a charity basket of draft picks despite finishing higher than us on the ladder, as well as absurd compesation for that potato Mackay. You hate comparing yourself to a minnow club like Norf, but let's be real.... on field that is exactly what we are. A laughing stock. Described as the worst AFL team of all time. A win loss record over the past few years that will still make us cringe looking back in 20 years time.

It's not a level playing field and that is not going to change. Get what benefits in this shambles of competition that we can.

If we don't ask, we miss out and nothing changes. Simple as that. Can't have 2 compromised drafts whilst finishing at the bottom of the ladder in a row, or we'll be ruing not kicking up more of a fuss during the period we were MEANT to be replenishing our list before Tazzy gets here.

At the very very very least, we request priority access to our NGA's and Malakai Champion.

Then we fold.

Us being a "proud club" and saying no in the hope the VFL abolishes priority picks altogether afterwards is laughable.

We accomplish nothing with this attitude. Nothing.

We got absolutely dicked last year by their incompetence and mismanagment of the FA bands so much that our second round selection was pick ******* 30 instead of the pick 19-21 it should've been. Meanwhile north get a charity basket of draft picks despite finishing higher than us on the ladder, as well as absurd compesation for that potato Mackay. You hate comparing yourself to a minnow club like Norf, but let's be real.... on field that is exactly what we are. A laughing stock. Described as the worst AFL team of all time. A win loss record over the past few years that will still make us cringe looking back in 20 years time.

It's not a level playing field and that is not going to change. Get what benefits in this shambles of competition that we can.

If we don't ask, we miss out and nothing changes. Simple as that. Can't have 2 compromised drafts whilst finishing at the bottom of the ladder in a row, or we'll be ruing not kicking up more of a fuss during the period we were MEANT to be replenishing our list before Tazzy gets here.

At the very very very least, we request priority access to our NGA's and Malakai Champion.

Then we fold.
As you correctly point out, having big bank accounts and plush facilities, and a big membership etc etc, has nothing to do with the performance of the team on the weekend.

Equalisation rules such as the salary cap, the draft, and the soft cap render all the money in the world irrelevant.

On top of all that, we live on the other side of the country at the end of the known world, and are dead-set last with little prospect of improving which makes us a less than attractive prospect for potential recruits.

So, admittedly through our own mismanagement plus a healthy dose of bad luck we are in a dire position with no clear path out.

Therefore we need help, as much or more than NM. Being a strong club off field is not going to help the football team become stronger at all. The system prevents it.

We're already up against it with

• Laughable academy concessions (Pick 40 matched bids my swinging dick)
  • Have to travel 80,000km's a season
  • Propping up the spud teams
  • Having grand finals played at the Melbourne based teams home ground year after year after year.
  • Sunday afternoon s**t time slots for 75% of our home games at Floptus.
  • Having our draft hand get kicked back, despite finishing last, with FA compensation, priority and academy picks.
  • Tunbridge's tackle.
  • Margetts retiring.

I think when the east coast commentators like Tim Watson grudgingly and and with a frown on their face say that the AFL will have to give us a PP package what they are really saying is that if we win another spoon and are universally regarded as the worst list in the AFL by a clear margin, and we likely to win more spoons, and they don't give us a PP package but they did give one to North the year before when North are clearly in a much better and more advance position than us when it comes to young talent then that is such a stark and egregious contrast and shows such obvious disparity in terms of how the two clubs have been treated that the whole PP concept and discretionary FA compo and maybe even academies will be called into question. And the AFL don't want that. They don't want any debate openned up on pro Victorian bias that might end up with a clear majority wanting to take away these levers that the AFL have to manipulate altogether. So they might hold their nose and give us something out of fear of a wider debate on free kicks that some clubs keep getting being openned up by it.

I think when the east coast commentators like Tim Watson grudgingly and and with a frown on their face say that the AFL will have to give us a PP package what they are really saying is that if we win another spoon and are universally regarded as the worst list in the AFL by a clear margin, and we likely to win more spoons, and they don't give us a PP package but they did give one to North the year before when North are clearly in a much better and more advance position than us when it comes to young talent then that is such a stark and egregious contrast and shows such obvious disparity in terms of how the two clubs have been treated that the whole PP concept and discretionary FA compo and maybe even academies will be called into question. And the AFL don't want that. They don't want any debate openned up on pro Victorian bias that might end up with a clear majority wanting to take away these levers that the AFL have to manipulate altogether. So they might hold their nose and give us something out of fear of a wider debate on free kicks that some clubs keep getting being openned up by it.

This is the longest sentence I'm history. I think I know what you are trying to say, but geez it is probably the most confusing post I think I've ever read.
Any danger of using punctuation you learnt in grade 5 English?

The draft and trade system the AFL has developed is based on the premise that all clubs once established will maintain their playing capital to at least 15+ quality AFL players, with a sprinkling of bone fida stars among it.

Unfortunately the morons running our club have run the list well below that point and now the issue is beyond the scope of being able to fix it through the draft. Can't be done from this far back, certainly not in any reasonable timeline.

Does anyone really think we've recruited like for like replacements for Kennedy, NicNat, Shuey, Sheppard, Hurn in the same period we've supposedly been "rebuilding" with access to the front end of the draft? Of course not. What about when 3x AA CHB McGovern, Yeo, Gaff, Darling, Cripps go in the next year or so? There's no way one top ten pick each year and a few early second rounders will fix this list.

From the AFL's perspective this is what all their efforts to prop up failing clubs and build new clubs in NRL territory has resulted in. It was only a matter of time before a marquee club got in a mess like this, and it just happens to affect its biggest club in WA/AFL. So basically as others have said it's not just a matter of letting it all run its course with WCE not being remotely competitive for 10 years or more.
To do so would severely damage WA footy and therefore the entire competition.

Last edited:
No WC marquee games, no WC finals at home, diminishing crowds, loss of general footy interest in WA, less investment in WA grass roots footy and a diminishing talent pool. Eventually it will start hurting the AFL as we've been a cash cow for a long time.
I'm sure someone can do a financial projection with some fancy visuals on the impact it will have on the AFL if WC and WA footy continue to decline. Better off for them if they give us a few priority picks now and make us at least competitive, then waiting until it hits their bottom line (and their bonuses).
Financial impact analysis may be more persuasive then purely "it isn't fair' footy related arguments.
Do you want to kill the goose that lays the golden eggs AFL?

Was thinking today about us not having a single set date/set public holiday marquee game.

Was thinking today about us not having a single set date/set public holiday marquee game.
Freo have today and the Anzac evening game. The Eagles have been asleep on building marquee games. Sold out anyway so what’s the point I’m guessing is the thought process.

A good one would be to sit down with the WA govt and push the March long weekend back to opening round and have our first game of the year on a Monday arvo at 2.15pm( traditional starting time) which would suit the Melbourne tv slot too.

Match it to a major fundraiser such as Telethon, Children’s hospital or Ronald McDonald house ect ect. Any worthy charity, foundation that wants to work with the Eagles.

The other one is out foundation day weekend but that clashes with the Freo derby. I think Perth is big enough now for two marquee games on that weekend. 60k and 5-10k at freo oval should be achievable.

Let's stick to the plan and show the AFL the plan.

Pick 1 (FOS)
Pick 3 PP (Jagga)
Pick 6 future first traded (Sid draper)

That's our rebuild right there. All done in one year no more bothering afl

Total cleanout

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This team isn't winning more than 2 games so we will get assistance, probably some picks that need to be traded with the intent of getting mature bodies in the club.

We will likely be in the same position again next year and then what. I cant see us being given anything better than an end of first round priority pick, problem is we need more although I don't think the afl should be priority picks at the top of the draft, same as free agent compo picks.

To be honest, I want the AFL to refuse to give us priority picks if we continually back in simmo and put our head in the sand.

There is a price that needs to be paid for letting the club get itself in this position.
The absolute refusal to pull any levers over a number of years to rejuvenate the list can’t just be swept under the carpet.

Been banging on endlessly about it. It’s not a 2022-23 issue. This was evident in 2020 and 2021 at the very latest.

Yeah I'd love 2 PPs to trade for senior bodies

pick 19 to WB for Buss
pick 20 to Rich fir Baker

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Busslinger cost the Dogs pick 13 and he's had 3 years quality development in the VFL, which has probably been worth more than if he'd spent 3 years here playing in the firsts. Pick 19 would be some deal.

Busslinger cost the Dogs pick 13 and he's had 3 years quality development in the VFL, which has probably been worth more than if he'd spent 3 years here playing in the firsts. Pick 19 would be some deal.
He's also not had any exposed AFL form. Depends on draft quality, but I think 19 would be around the mark.

I am wholeheartedly against the concept and I would hate that the ‘hand out’ mentality of the league, both on and off the field, would be so intrinsically tied to the club.

But ******* hell, we are so, so bad.

We should only take them if they throw in an exorcism for free too.

Who cares what it looks like to other teams fans etc

If it's in the rules to get help why not take it.

I tell you now if a couple of PPs result in a competitive side that ultimately (even in a decade +) leads to a flag I couldn't give 2 shits what others think!

Better than getting flogged for 3 years straight weekly!

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back