Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol. Bigger crowd than expected. Not budgeting for more drinks
Was a disaster. One food outlet for the Players and Premiership stands which were both full. Water ran out into first half and the drink tap vans they had didn't work. Security not allowing water or drinks into the ground on entry which did not help one bit. Half time the lines for drinks snaked for well over 50m and when you got there they had nothing.
Was faster to get out the stadium and head to the Apco servo across the road which had more staff on then the stadium.

Top it off someone playing with matches at Corio station meant the VLine trains home were delayed at North Shore and North Geelong for an hour meaning trains didn't get into Melbourne till after midnight (2hour train trip home). Wouldn't be surprised if many people gave this game a miss next season.

Lol. Bigger crowd than expected. Not budgeting for more drinks

I wouldn't have thought so. 15,000 turned up last year and as these types of things are budgeted on presales I really cannot see such a small amount of presales then a huge amount of walkups in 42 degree heat. The extra 5000 on last year should not have been an issue.

Was a disaster. One food outlet for the Players and Premiership stands which were both full. Water ran out into first half and the drink tap vans they had didn't work. Security not allowing water or drinks into the ground on entry which did not help one bit. Half time the lines for drinks snaked for well over 50m and when you got there they had nothing.
Was faster to get out the stadium and head to the Apco servo across the road which had more staff on then the stadium.

Top it off someone playing with matches at Corio station meant the VLine trains home were delayed at North Shore and North Geelong for an hour meaning trains didn't get into Melbourne till after midnight (2hour train trip home). Wouldn't be surprised if many people gave this game a miss next season.

V/Line was on the heat restriction on the way there too. Apparently it was bedlam trying to get fuel and there were traffic queues to Avalon on the way out. I can't confirm this (and do not believe it) but if Geelong wants to get an A-League team (which I think is probably more useful and achievable than a Big Bash side) they need to make sure these events run smoothly. Victory to their credit got on the front foot straight away by apologising and stating they are already looking into issues so they don't happen again. They do have a vested interest as they are playing a game per year there for the next two years.

Is the catering contracted out or done inhouse (suggested earlier) - Cooky would not be happy.
During the Foxtel Cup Grand Final, they had one window open and some local bakery were flogging their pies in there.

Is the catering contracted out or done inhouse (suggested earlier) - Cooky would not be happy.
The catering is contracted out to these guys.

http://obcg.com.au/

But they would plan each match day around what stadium management would predict for the game...well at least I know Epicure do that with the MCC.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are they actually allowed to not let you bring in water?! In any weather conditions.

Got to admit, as a 30 year old Essendon fan i've never had to go to Kardinia, however I've been twice to watch Victory. For Cats fans, is it absolute bedlam getting out afterwards in the car? Took forever after the soccer, and that was 20k. I kept imagining what it would be like for a sellout Cats final or something!

Perhaps they were just horribly unorganised.

I really liked the stadium however.

There's plenty of free parking in the residential areas surrounding the stadium, about 5-10 min walk at most depending where your seats are. I park over the highway in newtown, so after the game to leave you can turn left straight onto the highway without going to any traffic light and straight back to Melbourne.

It's illegal to refuse to serve water for free from a cup, so why would they even bother enforcing that? Not only illegal but appalling when Geelong should be selling themselves as a worthwhile trip.

As for parking, I've got almost no sympathy when you can catch public transport. If you're coming from Melbourne, it's an hour and about $20 return or something and there's a stop 300 metres from the gates.

Like others have said plenty of residential parking, we usually park just off of Fyans St, then make our way to the Hamilton Highway before turning off to Ballarat. They key is to park about ten minutes walk away from the ground and near have easy access to an arterial road...also helps if you know a way to get onto the ring road quick without going through the city.

It's illegal to refuse to serve water for free from a cup, so why would they even bother enforcing that? Not only illegal but appalling when Geelong should be selling themselves as a worthwhile trip.

As for parking, I've got almost no sympathy when you can catch public transport. If you're coming from Melbourne, it's an hour and about $20 return or something and there's a stop 300 metres from the gates.
It's an hour from Southern Cross Station. It's not an hour from most Melbourne homes.

It's an hour from Southern Cross Station. It's not an hour from most Melbourne homes.

Plus on the day in question the trains were on their heat speed reductions so the trip was more like two hours than one.

I wasn't complaining about the parking, any sporting event with over 20k will have delays, I expected that. Was just curious if the setup was any different for Cats games. I assume they were just horribly caught short at the Victory game, I too was surprised at the great crowd, pity the team didn't turn up.

I wasn't complaining about the parking, any sporting event with over 20k will have delays, I expected that. Was just curious if the setup was any different for Cats games. I assume they were just horribly caught short at the Victory game, I too was surprised at the great crowd, pity the team didn't turn up.

Did you come in the main entrance or the entrance at the other end,off the side street and beside Kardinia Pool ?
Either way there's only one exit either end.There use to be one that went on to LaTrobe Terrace but they shut it 2 years ago.
There is a bit of trick to get out quickly if your parked anywhere near the players carpark.Head to there when you leave and there's a road that takes you around St Marys football ground.At the end of that road is an exit onto LaTrobe Terrace.

Geelong City Council apparently according to a couple articles in the Geelong Addy. Got a heap of bad press towards the council in the paper.

A new Trust headed by Steve Bracks will oversee the next phase of development at Simonds Stadium to commence following the 2015 AFL season.

It’ll be run similar to the MCG Trust and Melbourne & Olympic Park Trust, running the day-to-day operations. Until now, the venue has been operated by City of Greater Geelong with the Geelong Football Club the promoter and construction manager.

..... further expansion of the ground, with plans to boost seating capacity to 36,000.

Stage 4 of the Simonds Stadium redevelopment will commence in late 2015 and will see the replacement of the Brownlow and Jennings Stands. The ground will be completed in years to come with Stage 5 which will see the replacement of the Ford Stand, Ablett Terrace and Southern Terrace, while the Hickey Stand will also be refurbished.

http://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=554

Remove this Banner Ad

Back