Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

As for the ticketing, I'm in the Gary Ablett stand, and I assume that's the brand new one?
That's not the new stand,in fact it's the opposite end.Have you got seats or are you in the standing area at the back of it ?
At least it'll be easy for you to get to the station after the game.Just head out the gate behind the Ablett Terrace and cross Moorabool St [police have it closed for 20 minutes after the game] and go straight down to the station.

Thanks for the advice. I don't drive and live in Fitzroy, so it'll work out fine. An hours trip and $7.50 is a relatively cheap and easy trip down there, so I'm not worried. As for the ticketing, I'm in the Gary Ablett stand, and I assume that's the brand new one? Which will be cool, and I'm hoping there's a few neutrals around at least.

Is it worth going down two or three hours before bouncedown and checking out old Geetroit? Anywhere decent to grab a meal before the game?

The Players stand is the new one, Ablett terrace is at the northern end of the ground whereas the new stand is at the southern end.

There's nothing worth checking out in Geelong, although you'll find heaps of good pubs for a feed within walking distance of the ground (Barwon Club is my favourite but it will get busy).

The Players stand is the new one, Ablett terrace is at the northern end of the ground whereas the new stand is at the southern end.

There's nothing worth checking out in Geelong, although you'll find heaps of good pubs for a feed within walking distance of the ground (Barwon Club is my favourite but it will get busy).

Bit harsh, but in winter, probably fair.

If you do want to check some stuff out then the waterfront nice enough I suppose. Give the CBD a miss.

Well I'll say the obvious first: jesus christ it's cold. I expected the cold and bought a beanie to go with my four layers.. jeeeeeus, though. I suppose a Saturday night in the middle of winter is probably the worst time you could be there.

It's an easy to get to ground, and the sight of the lights when you're training it through is pretty impressive. The light towers are bold. I really like the facade of the new Players Stand; pretty modern looking and it complements the surroundings well. The other end, where I was, is pretty rustic! The toilets, the steps, the wet seats... it really is suburban footy out there. It's genuinely interesting getting to know the place and realising this is not only an AFL ground, but the home of the best club of the last five years. It's a timewarp.

The viewing is alright all things considered, at least from where I was. The view of the new grandstands was pretty cool, too.

Though we got done, I reckon the annual pilgrimage will be something I'll be looking forward to. That might sound masochistic, but it's truly the last delve into enemy space.

I made the trip down to Geelong for the first time to watch the cats beat Fremantle, now as a Dockers supporter it wasn’t much fun watching my team get beaten but id just to say what a great stadium they have there in Geelong. I thought i was a fantastic place to watch football :thumbsu:

Just watching the game on IQ
On the new replay screen between the Eastern Stand and the Players Stand, they have the scores down the bottom, but I SWEAR that they're using the club's Twitter handles (@GeelongCats or whatever) on the scoreboard.
Hard to see because it's not what the camera is really looking at, but am I seeing things?

On the new replay screen between the Eastern Stand and the Players Stand, they have the scores down the bottom, but I SWEAR that they're using the club's Twitter handles (@GeelongCats or whatever) on the scoreboard.
Hard to see because it's not what the camera is really looking at, but am I seeing things?
That's right.

Yep they are. Honestly I don't know why they are doing that, it looks stupid.

Yep they are. Honestly I don't know why they are doing that, it looks stupid.
Plus no one can get mobile coverage inside the ground anyway, so I can't imagine many tweets coming from the ground.

Made the trip to Kardinia for last weekend. Absolutely freezing, but what did I expect. Ground certainly has a more suburban feel that what I get at the MCG, saw players from both clubs walking into the ground from their team buses, including non playing Melbourne players looking at the map to find their seats. Overall a terrible game for us, but a lovely place to watch football, the new stand and lights look great.

Well I'll say the obvious first: jesus christ it's cold. I expected the cold and bought a beanie to go with my four layers.. jeeeeeus, though. I suppose a Saturday night in the middle of winter is probably the worst time you could be there.

It's an easy to get to ground, and the sight of the lights when you're training it through is pretty impressive. The light towers are bold. I really like the facade of the new Players Stand; pretty modern looking and it complements the surroundings well. The other end, where I was, is pretty rustic! The toilets, the steps, the wet seats... it really is suburban footy out there. It's genuinely interesting getting to know the place and realising this is not only an AFL ground, but the home of the best club of the last five years. It's a timewarp.

The viewing is alright all things considered, at least from where I was. The view of the new grandstands was pretty cool, too.

Though we got done, I reckon the annual pilgrimage will be something I'll be looking forward to. That might sound masochistic, but it's truly the last delve into enemy space.

Theres an. Arctic park. Nickname lookin for a new home !!

I know contractually this is not possible at present.
But if Geelong and Fremantle played in the finals (2nd v 3rd, Second Qualifying Final), it would fit at Simmonds with its new capacity you'd think. Be a ripper sell-out match.
I'm wondering: When is the last time Geelong played a Final at Kardina?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know contractually this is not possible at present.
But if Geelong and Fremantle played in the finals (2nd v 3rd, Second Qualifying Final), it would fit at Simmonds with its new capacity you'd think. Be a ripper sell-out match.
I'm wondering: When is the last time Geelong played a Final at Kardina?

Never. Only one VFL/AFL final has ever been played in Geelong, in the opening year of 1897 at Corio Oval.

Went to my first home game for the year, was extremely impressed with the new stand i gotta say, has such a modern feel to it, the lights are fantastic, and the screen was good too, was very impressed.

OK here we go...Geelong v Freo Qualifying Final could be played at Simmonds.​
Bring it on I say.​
Like don't be stupid about it but if it's Geelong v Freo or Gold Coast in a week 1 or 2 Final, play it at Geelong.​
Bring it on.​

Because money earned from having the sponsors there is greater than money earned having stationery boards around it. If it wasn't for the sponsor paying for the board, then there would be no board there in the first place.

Well one thing that I hope chnges this year is the big screen. Last year about a third of it was wasted with a sponsor logo. Why can't they put boarding around it containg all necessary advertising thus allowing the screen to be used to full potential?
Whilst acknowledging that this isn't a "shared ground", in many ways using part of the screen IS using it to full potential due to the ease of changing advertising.
Example - the new AO screen. For International cricket CA require a Victoria Bitter ad, for other forms/competitions it has different logos, and for footy unless Crows and Power have same scoreboard sponsor it will change every week for 6 months, then you'd have to get an AFL sponsor logo printed for a Final, and something else again for the SANFL Grand Final.

Whilst acknowledging that this isn't a "shared ground", in many ways using part of the screen IS using it to full potential due to the ease of changing advertising.
Example - the new AO screen. For International cricket CA require a Victoria Bitter ad, for other forms/competitions it has different logos, and for footy unless Crows and Power have same scoreboard sponsor it will change every week for 6 months, then you'd have to get an AFL sponsor logo printed for a Final, and something else again for the SANFL Grand Final.
All valid, but the ad last year didn't change, it didn't animate, it just seemed to be a bit of a waste of pixels IMO.

All valid, but the ad last year didn't change, it didn't animate, it just seemed to be a bit of a waste of pixels IMO.
But it was there for other potential ground users to see that it was changeable. It's the potential. Digital advertising on scoreboard may help swing a potential ground hirer in summer or something.

Does anyone know when tickets for the Rnd 1 match Geelong v Adelaide will go on sale for general public? Is it even likely that I'll be able to get a ticket if I am not a member of either club?

Does anyone know when tickets for the Rnd 1 match Geelong v Adelaide will go on sale for general public? Is it even likely that I'll be able to get a ticket if I am not a member of either club?
Should be able to get a ticket if you're able to find out the release date, as there's always a few hundred set aside for the public, however these tickets do tend to be overpriced for what they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back