Simonds Stadium Snubbed For Finals

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was there last night and as a neutral I thought Richmond had a very very clear home crowd advantage. Their crowd was deafeningly loud. Every time a Geelong player went to kick in or kick for goal he was getting extreme boos. And for every umpiring decision the Richmond crowd was loud and to me it definitely influenced the umpires just like every home
Crowd does. I'm not blaming the Richmond fans they were doing everything they could to help their team win I'm blaming the afl as the opportunity for that should never have been there as Richmond didn't earn a home final Geelong did. What a joke. If I was a cats fan I'd be furious.

And if Geelong played two games a season at the G, turn up Grand Final Day and get smoked, they'd sook they didn't get enough exposure on the G.

Geelong supporters tend to also have a victim, small town attitude.

Big MCG games is why some players crave Victorian clubs for and grow up wanting.

It's tradition and shock horror, it's an entertainment organisation wanting to maximise their profits. Are people really just considering the AFL care more about money than perceived fairness?

The MCG didn't make Dangerfield hoof it at 45% or Duckwood only have 6 kicks for the match. Nor did what colour are the visitors toilets!

Always the victims! Grow up and if you're good enough, you'll win it anywhere!

You're a two man side, both played ordinary and you got flogged. Simple!

Could not agree more. One thing though, every side in the comp should play a minimum of 3-4 games on the MCG every year in the home and away. It is easy to say if you are good enough you will win anywhere but we all know that is not necessarily true. Home advantage is huge. Port are odds on favourites to beat West Cosst tonight, if the game was at Subi we would be odds on favourites. Does that apply to Geelong v Richmond?? A little I think.
But like you said the GF is at the G so you need to stand up there.

Oh that is such crap, there is no way you would give up games at the AO to play at the MCG.

I don't care if we play no games at the MCG until the Grand Final. As long as we play our home games at the venue that give us the best chance of getting to that day, then we'll take our chances.
So you want to show up to a grand final and embarrass yourselves like last night over and over or just hope no MCG based side is still surviving? The finals MCG arrangement wont be changing if you play sides like Collingwood, Richmond etc you'll be playing the MCG in circumstances like last night, but it's all good long as you finish top 2? LOL

I would do that in a heart beat because I'm not short sighted and keen on running into sides who do play most of their matches there come a grand final. (which is now looming as a very real possibility.)

I was there last night and as a neutral I thought Richmond had a very very clear home crowd advantage. Their crowd was deafeningly loud. Every time a Geelong player went to kick in or kick for goal he was getting extreme boos. And for every umpiring decision the Richmond crowd was loud and to me it definitely influenced the umpires just like every home
Crowd does. I'm not blaming the Richmond fans they were doing everything they could to help their team win I'm blaming the afl as the opportunity for that should never have been there as Richmond didn't earn a home final Geelong did. What a joke. If I was a cats fan I'd be furious.
following this logic the Cats should play every home game at Skilled. Yet they dont, and no one gives a crap

Cats have been playing home finals at Waverly and the G for over 100 years. Why now be furious?

Geelong finished second on the ladder but still played at a ground that advantaged the away team.

There would have been at least 80% of the crowd tonight that was Richmond. How is that fair for a "supposedly" home team (Geelong) to play in front of?!

Can "you" explain how this?
If your fans actually showed up the crowd wouldn't have been so high in our advantage.
Despite the complaints Geelong to Melbourne isn't a tough trip, just a bunch of sooks.

why morally if we finish 2nd, it has to be at our home ground. Richmond also haven't won a flag for eons, whereas Geelong have. Another factor lessening the public outrage of making us play tonight.

This discussion was effectively settled when the AFL gave us a home elimination final against Adelaide in 2015 at the MCG. If the AFL weren't going to allow us to host a home final at Etihad against an interstate team, there is no rational reason to allow Geelong to have a home final against a fellow Victorian club at Simmonds Stadium.

The horse is well and truly flogged on that one Benny.

Then why the desperation to play finals at a ground that for the previous 100 years you never have?
Because being crucified in the past is justification for being crucified in the future?

In any case the mcg was neutral back in the 60s cos no teams bar melbourne played there. Its not neutral now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a friday night and geelong is 2 hours away in peak hour traffic. Dont get home to 1am. Kids cant stay up that long after spending a day at school. And you call it pathetic. What a pathetic post by you.
Maybe you should follow local footy. It's a final FFS and you worry about a one hour drive.

Maybe you should follow local footy. It's a final FFS and you worry about a one hour drive.
2 hours given the crowds and peak hour traffic and do you have young kids. Clearly not. Ive paid 1000 bucks for gf tickets and travelled interstate for finals but you are deluded if you think that for 85 percent of the potential crowd wont travel 2 hours both ways at night for a final.

If gws get to play a home game against the swans at blacktown how is it any world feasible that geelong wont get to play the swans at the much bigger kardinia park.

You will play Sydney at the MCG and get flogged and I will enjoy it being there as I was last year.
The Handbags are clearly out again down in Sleepy Hollow.

I understand the view of Crowds at MCG v Simmonds argument ......and i understand the MCG # games in their contract argument ......but if GWS get to play a finals game at their suburban ground, then so did Geelong

The AFL opened this Pandoras box by changing the policies to promote GWS and footy in Sydney & then not even handedly applying that policy to all clubs .......yes Geelong was ....... over

The AFL can bang on about an uncompromised competition as much as they like .......but they keep making decisions that further compromise the comp
Being a Victorian team you don't have to travel, which is a huge advantage in recovery and career longevity. On the down side you surrender some home ground advantages and some decisions will be made for the greater good of victorian football. Very self entitled of Geelong to want a home ground advantage that only the 4 northern team get (the footy states share their homeground) yet barely set foot on a plane.

No they didn't.

Until Geelong demand 11 home games and home finals in Geelong they really have no credibility on this.
Difference between a home ground and selling home games.
Selling home games should be a choice, not a rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back