SNFL Div 3 discussion 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

I follow a Gippsland League team and Sumner could not have been less impressive for Warragul this year, played there under coach Jed Lamb who he played with at Carlton. He came in after Nick Graham was there the previous year & Graham had a really impressive 2022. Warragul's was a very young side needing someone to show the way and set standards which he absolutely didn't. Looked slow and disinterested each time I saw him, definitely wasn't outworking even fringe senior footballers. Probably explains him changing clubs every year or two. Spent more time going back and forth with guys over the fence about how many AFL games they had played.

Hope that he puts in more for his new club or that they aren't expecting him to be the difference.

2023 averages of 12.3 disposals at 53% efficiency, 1.5 i50s, 1.4 clearances, 2.1 tackles, 0.3 goals per game. Most of his stats were worse than league averages... If anyone wants it, more details available https://stats.isports.net.au/team-stats?leagueId=5&seasonId=6&round=

Sumners childhood friends with the Captain of Black Rock. Lot of hate for a quality player joining the comp to play with his friends. I hope all clubs sign quality players so the standard continues to improve and good footy can be enjoyed by all 👍

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sumners childhood friends with the Captain of Black Rock. Lot of hate for a quality player joining the comp to play with his friends. I hope all clubs sign quality players so the standard continues to improve and good footy can be enjoyed by all 👍
Definitely not making a comment on him as a person & maybe I am wrong about why he changes clubs so often but the work rate was shocking. Maybe he couldn't commit to the training required with the travel but he was well paid.

As I said hopefully he puts in for his new club, smaller metro grounds should help with less running.

Definitely not making a comment on him as a person & maybe I am wrong about why he changes clubs so often but the work rate was shocking. Maybe he couldn't commit to the training required with the travel but he was well paid.

As I said hopefully he puts in for his new club, smaller metro grounds should help with less running.
Southern has always been a safe haven for the aerobically less fortunate 🤣🤣🤣

Sumner was the same at East Malvern (Div 1 in 2019) & also at St Bedes (2018 VAFA A grade) where St Bedes let him do the kick outs just so he could touch the footy.

I follow a Gippsland League team and Sumner could not have been less impressive for Warragul this year, played there under coach Jed Lamb who he played with at Carlton. He came in after Nick Graham was there the previous year & Graham had a really impressive 2022. Warragul's was a very young side needing someone to show the way and set standards which he absolutely didn't. Looked slow and disinterested each time I saw him, definitely wasn't outworking even fringe senior footballers. Probably explains him changing clubs every year or two. Spent more time going back and forth with guys over the fence about how many AFL games they had played.

Hope that he puts in more for his new club or that they aren't expecting him to be the difference.

2023 averages of 12.3 disposals at 53% efficiency, 1.5 i50s, 1.4 clearances, 2.1 tackles, 0.3 goals per game. Most of his stats were worse than league averages... If anyone wants it, more details available https://stats.isports.net.au/team-stats?leagueId=5&seasonId=6&round=
Heard he was very similar at east malvern. Was supposed to be a star signing but lacked effort

The best local footy signings of the 2024 off-season​

Liam Sumner, Black Rock

The Jets have recruited supremely well and the ex-GWS Giant and Carlton forward headlines that.

Taylor Stratton, Frankston Dolphins

Makes this list for not only what he will bring as a player, but also for what he has brought as a connected coach. Stratton has built a formidable recruits list for the Dolphins, who now look bound to contend for another flag.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back