So long Geelong, it was swell.

Remove this Banner Ad

The flags were at half staff in Geelong, and on one, a riot of colours replaced the traditional white and blue. It was the first tie-dyed flag to fly in front of city hall. The AFL was mourning the loss of its Papa Bear. Geelong, lead team of the past decade, had died Friday night, reportedly of heart failure, after nine years of finals and flags.

Thousands milled pensively at the corner of Moorabool and Carr streets, in the district where in 2000 Mark Thompson kicked open the doors of the Kardina Park reception with his perky message to the Cat’s Nation. The sweet sting of leather smoke drifted from doorways, as Bomber’s kids paid the revered coach a small token of their esteem.

A tree outside Kardina Park was adorned with photos, scarves and beanies, many beanies.

At this impromptu shrine, a griever named Teach left a rock he had found on a nearby beach. “I hope Frank Costa’s happy,” he said. Teach, who has attended nearly 200 Cat’s games, is fifty years old. The boy’s mother, Kathleen, 73, watched over him through her blue rinse. “I hope he remembers this day,” she murmured. “It’s a special thing–to feel all the love.”

In cities all over the A.U. this gentle elegy was replicated. More than 4,000 people massed in Yarra Park, passing out LONG LIVE THE CATS bumper stickers in Blue and White and creating a huge circle of drum players and mourner-celebrants. One sign read, “Fare thee well, fare thee well, we miss you more than words can tell.”

Why all this lamentation, at Brisbane or Hawks volume, for the Club 30 years had only three flags? Well, for a few reasons. One is that the Cat’s was a phenomenon as a road team: it played before more people for more years than any combo in history - almost 25 games a year. Another is that it was a time capsule for the elan of the 2000’s, hopeful and engaged, melodious and raucous. They was also the ragged champs of the art of improvisation. If AFL players prove their wits by vamping, the Cats were Mensa masters. A single passage of play, in its myriad tonal variations, could go on for the better part of an 10 minutes–or the worse part, if inspiration was lacking that night. Fans came for that inspiration, and found it in the roly-poly fullforward - Tummy Porkins.

Geelong’s influence spanned generations and social strata. This veteran of the counter-flood-culture had plenty of friends in high places. Gil’s mum gave the Cats gang a tour of her house, and Billy hung out backstage at a many a Grand Final. Hutchie, renowned flog, last week wore a black armband in memory of his favorite forward pocket, who could have played his last.

In an AFL.com.au interview last week the AFL President called them “a great talent.” Referring to Geelong’s kick ass playing style Gil added, “They also had a terrible problem that was a legacy of the life he lived and the Hawks demons they dealt with. You don’t have to have a destructive tribunal record to be a genius.” Referring to SJ and Mooney.

This is a lesson learned too late by many AFL stars. They get high on the double dream of being a sensitive poet and a swaggering stud–Rimbaud and Rambo.

Their epitaph could be three words: 2007. 2009. 2011.

Thanks boys, it was a hell of a ride.
As wonderful as cats were in their pomp (could a side be more attacking?), that article was very poorly and gradiosely over written! Cats deserve better.

Plenty of mean spirited dancing on Geelongs grave here. A lot of fans of clubs who have been routinely smashed by the Cats over the past eight years apparently feel empowered. Geelong are too good a club to be down for long. They have a number of young players who will move up to that all important 100 game/5 preseasons sweet spot in the next couple of years. With leaders like Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins and Bartel still going strong and the likes of Blicavs,Duncan,Guthrie and Caddy stepping up the foundation is there. Add the blokes like Dangerfield and Henderson and ( hopefully ) the resumption of Menzels upward curve and the GFC will be back.

Plenty of mean spirited dancing on Geelongs grave here. A lot of fans of clubs who have been routinely smashed by the Cats over the past eight years apparently feel empowered. Geelong are too good a club to be down for long. They have a number of young players who will move up to that all important 100 game/5 preseasons sweet spot in the next couple of years. With leaders like Selwood, Taylor, Hawkins and Bartel still going strong and the likes of Blicavs,Duncan,Guthrie and Caddy stepping up the foundation is there. Add the blokes like Dangerfield and Henderson and ( hopefully ) the resumption of Menzels upward curve and the GFC will be back.

Over the past 8 years, if it wasn't the team you followed getting belted by the Cats and there was a game of footy to be watched with the Cats playing that's what people would be watching and wishing their team could play like that.

Fast, tough, skilful, high scoring and hard to score against. The perfect combination.

Let's see if one of the up and coming sides at the moment will make opposition supporters want to watch them and that they can go on with it and not be one season wonders.

It's going to take one of those sides to knock the Hawks off this year because Freo and Swans aren't up to it.

Over the past 8 years, if it wasn't the team you followed getting belted by the Cats and there was a game of footy to be watched with the Cats playing that's what people would be watching and wishing their team could play like that.

Fast, tough, skilful, high scoring and hard to score against. The perfect combination.

Let's see if one of the up and coming sides at the moment will make opposition supporters want to watch them and that they can go on with it and not be one season wonders.

It's going to take one of those sides to knock the Hawks off this year because Freo and Swans aren't up to it.
All aboard the Tiggy Train.

Oh dear.

May pay to take a close look at the change in head shape over the years of the competition's (and Freo's) best player before you start the s**t throwing.

See how easy it is to play this game.

When was Dank at Freo ?

Don't bother replying if you can't find the dates

Ah, I don't think so.

Tigers 2015 are more like Carlton 2011. Peaking at 5th or 6th before quickly returning to mediocrity.
Not everyone has to buy a ticket. There will be standing room only when this thing gets up a head of steam.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They won't bottom out, but they'll give the previous 44 year premiership drought a good run for its money.

I feel privileged to have witnessed their decline and it brings me great joy to see them follow Pyramid and Ford in their capitulation. No more decent father sons to mask their failures. The fact that my team pushed the daggers through their rib cage gives me great solace. Here's to another 44!

I feel privileged to have witnessed their decline and it brings me great joy to see them follow Pyramid and Ford in their capitulation. No more decent father sons to mask their failures. The fact that my team pushed the daggers through their rib cage gives me great solace. Here's to another 44!

Lol, you guys are at 21 years and after this year it's bye bye dockers, window has passed!!

'Spose you've got to get solace from something, not like the old trophy cabinet is bursting at the seams.

I bet you're one of those Freo supporters that would rather West Coast made a GF and lost it rather than Freo make one and win it.

'Spose you've got to get solace from something, not like the old trophy cabinet is bursting at the seams.

I bet you're one of those Freo supporters that would rather West Coast made a GF and lost it rather than Freo make one and win it.

This is the same supporter base that give their team a standing ovation for LOSING a Grand Final because it "was such an amazing effort to get there".

To them Geelong only achieved the ultimate once, and failed 3 times.

Oh dear.

Look forward to watching you get belted by the Eagles and/or Hawks in the finals.

Don't worry though - old man Schulz will save you next season. Another tick for Lyon's recycling.

Lol freo will be declining with nothing shortly, Geelong with 3 flags

I know who i would rather follow

Has a club ever lost in straight sets 2 years in a row?
This achievement may be beyond you however since with your current form 4th is dubious, likely to drop outside to 5th or 6th.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back