So long Geelong, it was swell.

Remove this Banner Ad

Nobody rated us this year and 9th is about right.

Even if we do fall further, which we won't, we have three recent flags to console ourselves with. A Fremantle fan trolling any other fan base is the height of hilarity.

Just interested, but what's the reason that Geelong won't fall further?

Your younger players clearly aren't improving to the level of your champions as was the plan. Sure you haven't had many high draft picks, but I'm not convinced that things won't get worse before they get better for Geelong.

As a St Kilda supporter, I sort of know them feels.

I feel privileged to have witnessed their decline and it brings me great joy to see them follow Pyramid and Ford in their capitulation. No more decent father sons to mask their failures. The fact that my team pushed the daggers through their rib cage gives me great solace. Here's to another 44!

This guy has !@#$ed off pretty quick. Cats have won 3 in the past 10 years and his team hasn't won anything in 21 years, and he's posting stuff like this. Trust me your team will not win the flag this year. Laugh last is on you buddy.

It's funny, after being beaten consistently in finals through 2008-2010, I couldn't wait for the demise of Geelong. But last night I just felt sad as the commentators discussed the fate of the old guard going forward. The players were brilliant, and after waiting so long for a flag it as good to see them have so much success.

Unfortunately it was just a few arrogant and obnoxious Geelong supporters who turned me to hate them, I might even venture down to Skill the next time we play them there.

Massive effort to play the number of consecutive finals like did have without the assistance some other teams get.

As much as i hated the kennet curse tgose games were epics.

Cats won't bottom out like some predict they will be a force afain soon enough.

Until next year cats

Out:
Rivers, McIntosh, Kelly, Enright, Mackie, Stokes

Johnson, Bartel and Lonergan make the cut, get one last year in 2016.

In:
Dangerfield, Henderson, 4x draft picks

That'd be a good start. Personally would trade 1 of Walker or Kersten, and Horlin-Smith as well. Try get back into the draft 35 onwards. I don't rate GHS much at all, and don't see the need for both Kersten and Walker. Getting Menzel, Duncan, Vardy and Clark in for a full season would help too.

The flags were at half staff in Geelong, and on one, a riot of colours replaced the traditional white and blue. It was the first tie-dyed flag to fly in front of city hall. The AFL was mourning the loss of its Papa Bear. Geelong, lead team of the past decade, had died Friday night, reportedly of heart failure, after nine years of finals and flags.

Thousands milled pensively at the corner of Moorabool and Carr streets, in the district where in 2000 Mark Thompson kicked open the doors of the Kardina Park reception with his perky message to the Cat’s Nation. The sweet sting of leather smoke drifted from doorways, as Bomber’s kids paid the revered coach a small token of their esteem.

A tree outside Kardina Park was adorned with photos, scarves and beanies, many beanies.

At this impromptu shrine, a griever named Teach left a rock he had found on a nearby beach. “I hope Frank Costa’s happy,” he said. Teach, who has attended nearly 200 Cat’s games, is fifty years old. The boy’s mother, Kathleen, 73, watched over him through her blue rinse. “I hope he remembers this day,” she murmured. “It’s a special thing–to feel all the love.”

In cities all over the A.U. this gentle elegy was replicated. More than 4,000 people massed in Yarra Park, passing out LONG LIVE THE CATS bumper stickers in Blue and White and creating a huge circle of drum players and mourner-celebrants. One sign read, “Fare thee well, fare thee well, we miss you more than words can tell.”

Why all this lamentation, at Brisbane or Hawks volume, for the Club 30 years had only three flags? Well, for a few reasons. One is that the Cat’s was a phenomenon as a road team: it played before more people for more years than any combo in history - almost 25 games a year. Another is that it was a time capsule for the elan of the 2000’s, hopeful and engaged, melodious and raucous. They was also the ragged champs of the art of improvisation. If AFL players prove their wits by vamping, the Cats were Mensa masters. A single passage of play, in its myriad tonal variations, could go on for the better part of an 10 minutes–or the worse part, if inspiration was lacking that night. Fans came for that inspiration, and found it in the roly-poly fullforward - Tummy Porkins.

Geelong’s influence spanned generations and social strata. This veteran of the counter-flood-culture had plenty of friends in high places. Gil’s mum gave the Cats gang a tour of her house, and Billy hung out backstage at a many a Grand Final. Hutchie, renowned flog, last week wore a black armband in memory of his favorite forward pocket, who could have played his last.

In an AFL.com.au interview last week the AFL President called them “a great talent.” Referring to Geelong’s kick ass playing style Gil added, “They also had a terrible problem that was a legacy of the life he lived and the Hawks demons they dealt with. You don’t have to have a destructive tribunal record to be a genius.” Referring to SJ and Mooney.

This is a lesson learned too late by many AFL stars. They get high on the double dream of being a sensitive poet and a swaggering stud–Rimbaud and Rambo.

Their epitaph could be three words: 2007. 2009. 2011.

Thanks boys, it was a hell of a ride.
Jesus Christ, I didn't realize Geelong were retiring as a football club.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Any chance the Cats with trade Steve Johnson to GWS for a young player or draft pick like they did with Hunt? Or will they give him another year?

Massive effort to play the number of consecutive finals like did have without the assistance some other teams get.

As much as i hated the kennet curse tgose games were epics.

Cats won't bottom out like some predict they will be a force afain soon enough.

Until next year cats
I think I went to every game in that stretch and they really all great games to be at.

I just wonder if people can count. 2007-2014 is 8 years on the trot, not nine, as people seem to be saying. This year (2015) would've been our 9th if we had of made it (it would've been a record IIRC), but we didn't. s**t happens. I'll take the three flags any day.

Last edited:
I'm not trolling. Just stating facts and my opinion.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-03-28/aflcomaus-season-predictions

Here's one example of preseason predictions with the majority seeing you finishing 5th and higher than Freo this year. I'd say that this is pretty high for a team nobody rated.

To be fair, no one expected us to have 17 guys on our senior list out injured at the same time. At one point we were selecting teams with one or two fit emergencies. One more injury and we wouldn't be able to field a team. The higher ladder prediction was warranted, IMHO.

Ctrl+F "Danger"

Only one result on page 1? Tell me I'm dreaming...?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back