Spuds that earned your respect

Remove this Banner Ad

Michael Walters has just gone to another level over the last 2 seasons after an average start to his career. The man is a freak.
It took for a coach to tell him to pull his finger out for him to finally realise his ability. Lucky Harvey left when he did, he tried to trade Walters and he looked almost certain to end up at the bombers at one stage.

From Geelong - easily Scarlett - his 1st 30-40 games were beyond shocking - could have easily been delisted

From opposition clubs - i agree with Rance - its interesting - at the end of 2007 season - Geelongs 1st pick in the draft - they selected H Taylor - with the very next pick (Richmonds 2nd pick) they selected Rance - up until last season - i thought Geelong were a mile in front in that selection - but last season i thought Rance was excellent ( that game he played on Tippett - where he just annihilated him) - Rances next 3-4 years - if he keeps building on last season - could see him an elite player

Matthew Scarlett?

Played 6 games in his first two seasons, looked a little underwhelming but was more just a role player. Was towelled up by Matthew Lloyd in his first 2 AFL games.

3rd season; rising star nom and played 21 games.

Came into his 4th season (2001) having played 27 games, placed runner-up in the B&F.

Matthew Scarlett?

Played 6 games in his first two seasons, looked a little underwhelming but was more just a role player. Was towelled up by Matthew Lloyd in his first 2 AFL games.

3rd season; rising star nom and played 21 games.

Came into his 4th season (2001) having played 27 games, placed runner-up in the B&F.

He played on Lance Whitnall - out at Carlton - Whitnall kicked 6 goals and annihilated him - plus Scarletts kicking at the start -was very ordinary

Scarlett has admitted himself - that he feared getting delisted

If you think Scarlett was a gun from the word go - i suggest you take off your blue and white glasses

Thats why ive allways rated Malarkey the best Geelong fullback - top notch from day 1 - a beautiful kick - had to beat superstars like Roach and Quinlan one out - none of this 3 against 1 business - god even Jarred Rivers looks a class defender at Geelong - when key forwards kick 60 goals a year - with 2-3 opponents on them

He played on Lance Whitnall - out at Carlton - Whitnall kicked 6 goals and annihilated him - plus Scarletts kicking at the start -was very ordinary

Scarlett has admitted himself - that he feared getting delisted

If you think Scarlett was a gun from the word go - i suggest you take off your blue and white glasses

Thats why ive allways rated Malarkey the best Geelong fullback - top notch from day 1 - a beautiful kick - had to beat superstars like Roach and Quinlan one out - none of this 3 against 1 business - god even Jarred Rivers looks a class defender at Geelong - when key forwards kick 60 goals a year - with 2-3 opponents on them

Where did I say he was a gun from the word go?
Very clearly I did not, and just as clearly I pointed out he was runner up in the B&F during that 30-40 game period that you nominated.

I'd also argue that Scarlett's prime years (of which there were plenty) saw him regularly towel up the opposition's #1 KF while also gathering a heap of the ball himself, without a whole heap of defensive support (the backline was built around he and Harley, before that we had jack).

I just started watching footy around the time Malarkey was on the decline, so really can't comment too much there.

I remember Whitnall kicking a bag on Scarlett (just checked, it was Scarlett's 18th game), Whitnall may have faded but he was a decent player at his peak - he kicked 70 goals in 2000, the week after he beat Scarlett he kicked another 6 goals, the week after that he booted 9.

Point is, by the time Scarlett had reached 30 games, he was well on his way to becoming the Matthew Scarlett we remember.

I'll concede he had a quiet first two seasons, which yielded a combined 6 games.

Was he really that bad before he went to the Hawks? I seem to remember him being a fairly decent player at Port.

Yeah I was fairly young but that was my recollection of him too. Then he was a more than handy small forward at the Saints in the mid 2000's.

Don't think he would ever have qualified as a spud - but I used to give jordan lewis a bit of a hard time and his 2014 season was something else, didn't think he could be that consistent and dominant.

Simon prestigiacomo
Shaun McManus

Two players I didn't think much of early in their careers, but they both earned respect for the roles they played for their teams and longevity in the game.

Was he really that bad before he went to the Hawks? I seem to remember him being a fairly decent player at Port.

Yeah he was a handy forward at Port. He then asked to be traded to the Saints. I don't think Port wanted to get rid of him. At the Saints, he got forced out by Milne who played that position better and due to his poor attitude. Clarkson then picked him up and played him as a small defender. The delisting seemed to right his attitude and the move to small defender worked well with Clarkson's cluster game plan.

So not really a spud but definitely improved on his move to the Hawks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Cam Pederson

Pederson played some solid football at North, most notably v Essendon in 2011 taking 8 marks and kicking 3 goals in the second half.

Was solid in 2014, probably a similar season to 2011 with a few more games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back