Should current players be picked?

• Yes

Votes: 18 90.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Ill pick Harold Matthews in a back pocket. 2 time Saints best and fairest and ninth in the brownlow being his best result.

saintkildaman

I have seen all but 12 of the players drafted to date, it surprises me greatly that one of our classiest big man has not been taken.I would rate him in the top ten of all time, there are still players left who where better than GOP's.
Uncle Barrells has picked two of my alltime favourites, Big Bill Stephenson a prototype of PLUGGER, terrible kick but Christ could he mark, and the "tank" Eric Guy toughest player I have seen.

Hmmm.. was going to go positional here but im going to keep bringing in the talent.

Reg Garvin.

130 odd games through the 40s

Two time best and fairest winner in 41 and 44 which were either side of his two year captain-coach stint at the club.

Was also 4th in the Brownlow in 41.

Played as a follower so I might do a bit of rejigging..

Lets put Payze on a HFF as a forward originally he could be suited there.

Put Garvin on ball with Dal.

Here is the team..

Felsty's Fighters

FB: Matthews, Drinan, ------------
HB: Peckett, Colling, O'Dea
R: Everitt, Garvin, Dal Santo
C: Cunningham, Hayes, Trott
HF: Payze, Gleeson, ------------
FF: Sellars, Koschitzke, Shelton
IC: --------- , ---------- , ---------- , -----------

Hmmm.. was going to go positional here but im going to keep bringing in the talent.

Reg Garvin.

130 odd games through the 40s

Two time best and fairest winner in 41 and 44 which were either side of his two year captain-coach stint at the club.

Was also 4th in the Brownlow in 41.

Played as a follower so I might do a bit of rejigging..

Lets put Payze on a HFF as a forward originally he could be suited there.

Put Garvin on ball with Dal.

Here is the team..

Felsty's Fighters

FB: Matthews, Drinan, ------------
HB: Peckett, Colling, O'Dea
R: Everitt, Garvin, Dal Santo
C: Cunningham, Hayes, Trott
HF: Payze, Gleeson, ------------
FF: Sellars, Koschitzke, Shelton
IC: --------- , ---------- , ---------- , -----------
Played through the war. Suspect.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah really? Did not realise, just going off the accolades he recieved
Don't get me wrong, there might be good reasons for it, but I've got a prejudice about it.

It's why I'm pretty ambivalent about 'Captain Blood'... Easy to be tough when the most able-bodied are off dodging bullets.

12Chill
Thanks Felsty (for not stealing my player you bastard!!!)

A HBF who is a terrific ball user...actually surprised he lasted this long

Dean Anderson - HBFHBF
Very good player at Hawthorn, a bit of a donkey with us; phoned it in.

Come on guys, there's plenty of good (genuine Saints) players left, you've just have to be creative!

12Chill

Very good player at Hawthorn, a bit of a donkey with us; phoned it in.

Come on guys, there's plenty of good (genuine Saints) players left, you've just have to be creative!
I can only remember the good Anderson...he's the one I selected :p

show_image.php

Pick #124: Val Perovic
192cm - 88kg

Val Perovic played 77 games and kicked 12 goals for the Saints from '73-'79, but his best football was played at Carlton. He finished top 15 in the Brownlow medal 4 years straight once he landed at the Blues (involved in the trade that sent Jesaulenko to us), but he still played some good footy at our club. Starting his career as a wingman, he soon moved into a defence position, mainly center half back. He had a booming kick (which helped him become a cult figure at the Blues, 'woof') and he finished 11th in the 1978 Brownlow Medal count with 13 votes, in that season he averaged 17 disposals and 5.27 marks per game, thus earning Victorian representative honours in what was his most successful St Kilda season. He went on and got traded to Carlton where he played some great football, including being a member of the '81 and '82 Grand Final sides (in the 1982 Grand final he got 18 disposals, 5 marks and kept Michael Roach from the Tigers, goalless, showing that he was a more then handy CHB). Playing some good footy for us I'll put him down at Center Half Back to complete the on-field backline.

12Chill's Chargers (12Chill)
FB: Jeff Dunne / William Cubbins / Sean Dempster
HB: David Grant / Val Perovic / Robert Elphinstone
C: Leigh Montagna / Andrew Thompson / Frank Coghlan
HF: ---------------- / Vic Cumberland / Bruce Duperouzel
FF: --------------- / Fraser Gehrig / Alan Davis
R: Jeff Sarau / Robert Harvey / Ross Smith (c)
I/C: --------------- / --------------- / --------------- / --------------

Really could've gone with a few tall defenders on this one but I had to go Perovic.

show_image.php

192cm - 88kg

Val Perovic played 77 games and kicked 12 goals for the Saints from '73-'79, but his best football was played at Carlton. He finished top 15 in the Brownlow medal 4 years straight once he landed at the Blues (involved in the trade that sent Jesaulenko to us), but he still played some good footy at our club. Starting his career as a wingman, he soon moved into a defence position, mainly center half back. He had a booming kick (which helped him become a cult figure at the Blues, 'woof') and he finished 11th in the 1978 Brownlow Medal count with 13 votes, in that season he averaged 17 disposals and 5.27 marks per game, thus earning Victorian representative honours in what was his most successful St Kilda season. He went on and got traded to Carlton where he played some great football, including being a member of the '81 and '82 Grand Final sides (in the 1982 Grand final he got 18 disposals, 5 marks and kept Michael Roach from the Tigers, goalless, showing that he was a more then handy CHB). Playing some good footy for us I'll put him down at Center Half Back to complete the on-field backline.

Really could've gone with a few tall defenders on this one but I had to go Perovic.
Great pick.

Was going to put him on a wing with my next pick.

show_image.php

192cm - 88kg

Cant believe big Val lasted that long great pick, he didn't mind a drink either

I'll take Stephen Theodore. 111 goals in 134 games from 1969-1976 including our 1971 GF.

Played 10 finals for 9 goals.

A2R's Superstars (Armitage2Riewoldt)
FB: Harry Lever / Verdun Howell / ---------------
HB: Shane Wakelin / Wels Eicke / Fred Phillips
C: Xavier Clarke / Harold Bray / Heath Black
HF: Barry Breen / Darrel Baldock / Peter Bennett
FF: Stephen Theodore / George Young / ---------------
R: Jim Ross / Luke Ball / Joel Smith
I/C: --------------- / --------------- / --------------- / ---------------

Back