St Kilda CEO/board discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm backing the club with this appointment, just as I'm backing the club with each decision since Watters got the flick..Go the mighty Saints..!!

Yup...

I think there have been massive changes since Summers took over and we are finally seeing some best practices being adopted.

All good.

i dont have any AFL experience but i'd imagine some of the prospective sponsors probably get to our club via the AFL or potentially another club. like the CEO, the AFL may get involved in discussions to help get the deal over the line, or they might be part of an approval process.

i'm just guessing

Not quite, in most cases sponsorship is fielded first by the club approaching the company they wish to associate with, I say this because working in a call centre you tend to pick up things such as transferring a call from an AFL club rep to your managing director to sort out a meeting re sponsorship whilst telling an NRL club rep that you cannot assist as you have met quotas is telling as to which direction you're leaning towards. Yes there are cases where a company may approach a club for added advertising, but it also works converse.

And no, it's sadly not us, I do have an immediate relative that barracks for the club in question though, personally praying that we get our branding right since our marketing group aren't that flash with updating things and updating us plebs.

Anywho, I like this appointment on face value though I kinda wish we'd steer away from lawyers since there's far too many floating around the system at board level as it is, but only time will tell if Finnis is the right person for the job instead of the one who simply looked like the right person for the job.

Not quite, in most cases sponsorship is fielded first by the club approaching the company they wish to associate with, I say this because working in a call centre you tend to pick up things such as transferring a call from an AFL club rep to your managing director to sort out a meeting re sponsorship whilst telling an NRL club rep that you cannot assist as you have met quotas is telling as to which direction you're leaning towards. Yes there are cases where a company may approach a club for added advertising, but it also works converse.

And no, it's sadly not us, I do have an immediate relative that barracks for the club in question though, personally praying that we get our branding right since our marketing group aren't that flash with updating things and updating us plebs.

Anywho, I like this appointment on face value though I kinda wish we'd steer away from lawyers since there's far too many floating around the system at board level as it is, but only time will tell if Finnis is the right person for the job instead of the one who simply looked like the right person for the job.

great insight. cheers mate!!!

He has been critical of the Saints in the past, although that may have been justifiable at the time in his role as CEO of the AFLPA when we sacked a player (Nicholas Winmar I think)

He has been critical of the Saints in the past, although that may have been justifiable at the time in his role as CEO of the AFLPA when we sacked a player (Nicholas Winmar I think)
That was at least one time yes. From memory though Winmar still had a year left on his contract so it wasnt as if he was hard done by money wise.

I hope not. DH-S is an A-Grade tool. Vain little twat with an ego that writes cheques that his intelligence can't cash. That is from first hand exprerience with him.

That is not my experience, and isn't there a better place for you to unload your bile about someone only mentioned in this thread in passing. Or just hold it in.

I was very excited that Finniss was appointed - I am not sure we could have expected to pick up someone on an upward trajectory. He must like a challenge.

Hard to work out how a Mentone Grammar boy ended up barracking for the Bullies, but I am sure there are some strong St Kilda supporters in his family.

And I thank the lord that I never have to try to work out what Michael Nettlefold is talking about ever again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah, we cant be to critical of anybody who has complained at the way our club has been run over the last ... uhmmm 140 yrs:p
Even in 09 / 10 when we could've gone all the way we were still making mistakes on & off the field. ( as most clubs do)
So far this pre season hasn't been great form wise but its been freaking great in regards to off field incidents.
Since Richo has got the job, Peter Sumners & Co should get a pat on the back for our boys keeping their noses out of trouble. :thumbsu::thumbsu:
Hope the new CEO brings even more professionalism to our beloved Saints.

AFLPA was critical, and Finnis was the spokesman. How much was his view, and how much was the view and agenda of the AFLPA.
I see those sort of jobs like being a liberal or labour politician. Whatever your personal views, you express the views of the party.

He wouldn't have been doing his job had he not objected to a contracted player being delisted so late that he had no chance of being picked up by another club.
Indeed, I'd be more worried if he HADN'T complained then, because that was exactly what he should have done (even though we did the right thing, he still needed to say that the players didn't like it). If he hadn't, then he wouldn't have shown the strength that we need him to direct to US now!

Indeed, I'd be more worried if he HADN'T complained then, because that was exactly what he should have done (even though we did the right thing, he still needed to say that the players didn't like it). If he hadn't, then he wouldn't have shown the strength that we need him to direct to US now!

Awesome Avatar Persevering Saint, look forward to your report on tomorrow's game.

So he's mostly experienced in....

Player culture = tick
Player welfare = tick

Sounds like he brings the skill set we desperately need.

Summers reckons that he's been talking to Matt Finnis regularly for weeks, but couldn't let anybody know about it. He was amused/bemused by all the "leaks" of other names, because he knew they were all a load of garbage.

He also said that they have a kinda ripple effect approach to all the media stuff. If we get it right internally, then it'll flow to the AFL, then to the media, then to the fans. He said he felt like we were in disarray in August, without a clear sense of our direction any more. But by December, it all started to feel clearer, and they'd found their track again.

Summers reckons that he's been talking to Matt Finnis regularly for weeks, but couldn't let anybody know about it. He was amused/bemused by all the "leaks" of other names, because he knew they were all a load of garbage.

He also said that they have a kinda ripple effect approach to all the media stuff. If we get it right internally, then it'll flow to the AFL, then to the media, then to the fans. He said he felt like we were in disarray in August, without a clear sense of our direction any more. But by December, it all started to feel clearer, and they'd found their track again.

this is an excellent post. makes me happy

this is an excellent post. makes me happy
Yes, me too. I just have this feeling we are going through a period of stability. Hope its long term rather than a flash in the pan, so too speak.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

I think you mean starting!

I am not sure whether the cheerful optimism you need to survive as a Saints fan is a good thing or a bad thing.
Yeah I know what you mean.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back