Review St Kilda vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

What impressed me about the Saints win yesterday was the young players like Dunstan, Billings, Newnes and Murdoch. Where St Kilda have done well was last years draft and I think the Saints are starting to see the results now. A few more pre-seasons for those young players will help going forward. I don't think St Kilda are going to be as bad as some are predicting.

You've certainly got the right mix of youth on your list and now it's just a matter of giving them as much game time as possible to fast track their development. If there's one area in which St Kilda are going to be very good in 2-4 years time it's in the midfield. You've got Steven, Savage, Ross, Billings, Armitage, Curren, Murdoch, Saunders, Dunstan, Minchington, Acres, Templeton and Weller.

Great to see Shane Savage play well. :thumbsu:

If anyone had told me that not only would we win this week, but we'd have the highest winning margin, I have told them to give up the booze & go straight to the asylum...

So proud of the boys!

Got home, jumped on line, read the score and thought same old same old... then I realised it was our home game.

Shenton did the best right foot imitation of Gherig when he marked on 50, played on, swung around and kicked a goal.
I used to absolutely love how the G-Train would use the umpire as a block. If the ump was standing to one side of the man on the mark big Fraser would run around to that side so the ump was in the opposition players way. Hed swing around get 10mtrs closer to goal and BANG!!!!!
Cant believe just how many times he did it:D

Newnes kick inside 50 to Murdoch! Holy Frijoles! :eek:
Bullet_muzzle_clos_2791758k.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

187 cm, doesn't mind a tackle and a long left foot - I like what he brings to the forward line

I was at the game but I was a bit disappointed in Murdoch's game. Wasn't kicking well on goal and didn't do anything that impressed me more than TDLs game in the same position. I might have not noticed him though.

Early scoreboard pressure can have a 2-fold effect;

1) lifts team in lead (particularly where it's 'unexpected') & 2) pressures opposition (particularly where it's 'unexpected')

Doesn't always come off that way in the end result, but it did an Saturday.

Needs to be constantly emphasised - early scoring accuracy.

One thing that hasn't been highlighted too much, is the results that come with having a 'young' team.

A lot of WTF!? games; both ways, when it does & doesn't click.

Vs. Carlton 2 weeks ago was a WTF game, and so was Sat night v Freo, but on opposite sides of the spectrum.

As the games experience grows, this will settle down, be more consistency and less WTF games - along lines of Richo's message all year.

Tackles stuck, this stopped them getting outside

Our pressure was intense, this stopped them having time to pin point passes

Roo was great, 30 odd possies, lot's of marks, best on field

Savage, also 30 odd possies, run and carry into the corridor

Stanley, used his size and speed, for the first time he seemed to believe, those long kicks

Hayes, the champ just keeps on going

Dunstan, strong and tough

Every else else played well or at least ok. It is hard to think of a single Saints player who did not win their position. Special thanks to Weller, hardly saw Fyfe, well done.

The only minor issues I have is the inability to win the 4th qtr and the poor goal kicking in the 3rd. So 80% quality game.

Newnes kick inside 50 to Murdoch! Holy Frijoles! :eek:

I'll be honest here: When he first hit it I thought it was a dead set shank. Threw my arms up and screwed my face something shocking.

Then it hit Murdoch flush on the left tit.....

oh-no-yes.gif

Have to wonder where that form has been the last few months, our effort and skills were the best it's been all year, hopefully we can maintain that for our remaining games.
The passion and level of performance that we played with Saturday and also in R23 last year against Freo does make you wonder about how much of our poor efforts is above the shoulders and how much is due to us seemingly having our sights set on 2018 onwards and whether it makes it hard for everyone to get themselves up for games that seemingly mean so little, in the meantime.

May explain our incredibly listless first quarter performances for most of the year. We may simply be going into most of these games lacking motivation and half thinking of 2018 or so and it might consequently take them a quarter out on the field to realise they are actually playing an AFL game right then and there and that they might want to have a big crack!

I realise that injuries have crunched us, but we simply need to find a way to tap into that passion and desire every week, not just when there is a Lenny, Kosi, Milne, or Blake to lift for. That is the challenge for the coaching group in particular, as I suggested a couple of weeks ago, after our deplorable performance against Carlton. We are clearly capable of playing this sort of footy, so there's no excuse for not doing so on a much more regular basis.

Yes we are "rebuilding" and have had many injuries, but we were also "rebuilding" on Saturday and were missing Steven, Hickey, Gilbo, Geary and Webster and we were also "rebuilding" against Freo and Gold Coast late last year and Essendon earlier this year and it didn't stop us playing extremely well in those games, so how about we don't let it, or anything else, stop us from playing to our capabilities in any of our others?

Not saying it's easy, but we just need to find a way to tap into that motivation and desire to play really well every week. Winning is so much more fun than losing, so that could be a good place to start.

Doesn't mean that we'll automatically start winning every week, but it would almost certainly ensure that there isn't such a huge difference between our very best and our very worst games and that we will win more often.

Last edited:
Interesting that we have given Fremantle their highest two losses under Ross Lyon (71 points last season being number one and this one being number two)...

we have won 10 out of the last 12 against Freo......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back