Steve Johnson v Jason Akermanis

Aker or Stevie

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Both freaks on the field but probably Akermanis just

one of the toughest polls ive seen!, I voted aker but only by a whisker the brownlow is what seperates them though stevie wouldn't have been out of place winning it last couple of years

who do you think has been the more valuable player between Bartel, Johnson and Chapman?
Geee.. drafted same year. Jimmys been on the park more and has a Brownlow, Stevies kicked more than twice the amount of goals and at his best is second only to G.Ablett.. il say Stevie J just for the sheer fact that he brings people, kids, to the game just to see him, the team as well of course but its the Stevie show. What about you?

Can anyone tell me if Aker was left or right footed

Funnily enough:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-21/dualsided-gems

Best since 1980: Even factoring in Fitzroy and Brisbane Bears players to join the Brisbane Lions candidates over the journey, Jason Akermanis was a standout. A natural right-footer, 'Aker' could not only do brilliant things on his left (remember the game-sealing snap in the 2002 Grand Final), but was also one of the most prodigious and penetrating kicks on his non-dominant side from any era. Seeing the 2001 Brownlow medallist thump goals home from outside the 50m arc on his left foot (and often from the left-hand boundary line) became a trademark and regular occurrence of the Lions' premiership era. – Michael Whiting

TL;DR version: He was a natural right footer who could kick goals with his left from 55m on the left boundary line.

Funnily enough:
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-21/dualsided-gems

TL;DR version: He was a natural right footer who could kick goals with his left from 55m on the left boundary line.
bu...but

2015:Steve Johnson attempts kicks that no-one else in the competition even thinks of trying, so the three-time premiership Cat has to be considered as one of Geelong's best dual-sided players. Johnson often uses his left foot to angle the ball back into dangerous areas or to find a teammate in space. The star forward's brilliant left-foot kick to set up Travis Varcoe (who would eventually miss his shot at goal) in the dying minutes of the 2013 preliminary final against Hawthorn immediately springs to mind. Johnson also wheeled around onto his left boot to find Joel Selwood in the middle of the ground in the chain of play that set up Tom Hawkins' famous after-the-siren match-winning goal against the Hawks in 2012. Of the young players, Darcy Lang, Lincoln McCarthy and Nakia Cockatoo have little hesitation using their non-preferred feet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haven't watched those highlights (will probably after) but from the games I've actually seen, Aker. Most times I've seen Jonhson play he hasn't set the world on firer like I've heard. Might just be unlucky in what games I've watched

Aker. Silly to compare stats and career averages imo, just the 2000s are split into 2 different eras statistically. It's almighty close though - anything Aker did, SJ has done or close to (got runner up in the Brownlow) but I feel as though Aker had less *-ups on the field, whereas SJ is mercurial but doesn't know his limits as well imo.

The other thing Aker brought to the side was that spark that ignited a side. If we were a few goals down or a few goals up and from a clearance Aker grabs it, weaves two players then slams it through the middle from 55m the rest of the side went up a gear.

Actually a really good poll. Probably the two best examples of champion forwards/midfielders that can/could dominate in both positions over the past 15 years.

Stevie J is an absolute beast, but I will go with Aker....only just though. I hate to say that due to the fact that Akermanis is just a complete tool.

Last edited:
Actually a really good poll. Probably the two best examples of champion forwards/midfielders that can/could dominate in both positions over the past 15 years.

Stevie J is an absolute beast, but I will go with Aker....only just though. I hate to say that due to the fact that Akermanis is just a complete tool.

To be fair its HOW he comes across but not strictly speaking what he IS...He doesnt mind speaking his mind and he just so happened to have a large media source, the AFL, to distribute it to.

Stevie's on field banter is the only area he outclassed Aker.
I also think the Brisbane dynasty and their 4 GF appearances in a row was a stronger dynasty than Geelong's, and also stronger (so far) than the Hawk's run.

sure you can. Goals, goal assists are important stats to compare when you comparing forwards like these two. Finals record is another important factor to take in considering both have featured in plenty of important games during their careers. Both stack up pretty evenly in that regard. Johnson just ahead at this stage.

Sorry, you can't compare disposal stats etc. Aka is ahead at this stage.

Have to go with Aker but I honestly believe it's pretty close. SJ a more prolific forward in his heydey, but Aker the more damaging player overall given his exploits in the middle.

Back