Sailor

Team Captain
Feb 13, 2005
perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Man U
From all reports Tanner Smith has had an excellent pre-season to date. As a rookie I know he can be upgraded to the main list in cases of long term injury. With Zac Dawson and Alex Pearce currently in the rehab group we are down to the bare essentials with regards to tall defenders. If the worst happens, does anyone know if we can replace Crowley if he is stood down by ASADA?

From all reports Tanner Smith has had an excellent pre-season to date. As a rookie I know he can be upgraded to the main list in cases of long term injury. With Zac Dawson and Alex Pearce currently in the rehab group we are down to the bare essentials with regards to tall defenders. If the worst happens, does anyone know if we can replace Crowley if he is stood down by ASADA?

Ed Langdon and Alex Pearce: They didn’t have stress fractures, but they had some stress reactions. Probably the most disappointing one was Alex Pearce as we see a really strong future for him and as a young, tall defender. It hasn’t been ideal for him, but we’d like to see him play some senior footy. We’re getting some good availability back…they’re (Langdon and Pearce) basically ready (to play for Peel).

Yeah, we have no LTI's to be able to upgrade rookies, nor do we have any rookies that realistically in contention for a best 22 berth while we're almost at full-strength. While we're at it, we wouldn't be replacing Crowley in the side with a key defender either.

Didn't think so. Only if he retires can we upgrade someone to the main list. I dont think suspensions count to a LTI.

This AFL article seems to suggest differently

FREMANTLE
The Dockers currently don't have room to upgrade a rookie, however the Ryan Crowley situation may change that.
The man in line to be upgraded would be Tanner Smith. Smith was recruited with pick No.36 in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft. He played one game in 2013 but injuries have plagued him over the last 18 months. The 196cm, 95kg key position player was delisted and then redrafted as a rookie last year. Given the Dockers need for key talls and the likelihood that Luke McPharlin will be managed game to game, Smith appears ready to step in. He has played both NAB Challenge matches this pre-season.– Alex Malcolm

Say Crowley gets rubbed out... And the AFL say no to an upgrade.... Surely freo have grounds to appeal considering the circumstances around the delay in the hearings

If Morabito retires due to his knee soreness then we would have an upgrade, but not for Crowley, not even if he retires. Only if he injures himself before the suspension decision, which shouldn't happen running laps.
Does having Ross Lyon's foot up your arse count as an injury?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As far as a replacement tagger goes I think that if Suban or Deboer can shut a player down if needed during a game that would be great however I don't want to see them starting in the middle instead of Barlow Mundy and Fyfe. Our team can monster any team with those three. With Neale and Co rotating through I think Freo will become more attacking without Crowley.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/afl/a/26747293/pearce-firms-for-freo-tagger-role/

Clancee Pearce’s way back into Fremantle’s best 22 could come via Ryan Crowley’s tagging role, with coach Ross Lyon yesterday confirming he was pleased with the 24-year-old’s pre-season.

Although it has been widely assumed that Matt de Boer would get first crack at filling the role if Crowley misses a chunk of the season after a positive drug test from 2014, Pearce was sent to Sydney playmaker Kieren Jack in their NAB Challenge match last Sunday.

Lyon said he was yet to decide if the Dockers would tag against West Coast tomorrow and believed his midfield had the option of taking rival engine rooms on.

“We played a couple of games last year where Ryan didn’t tag anyone specifically. Hawthorn was one game in round 21,” he said.

“We can go that way. We trialled Clancee Pearce on the weekend. Nick Suban could work off as well.

“There will be guys that can lock down and guys that can work off and those we will just take on. It is a work in progress at the minute.

“Clancee had a bit of a crack last week on Kieren Jack and did a pretty good job.”

Pearce, who has played 78 games, was a regular in the second half of 2012 and for much of 2013 before injury forced him out of the team ahead of Fremantle’s finals campaign.

“Last year he had an Achilles problem and he sort of fell away a little bit but he has come back super-fit and focused and he will be a real addition to us this year in any role we give him,” Lyon said.

“He has a big, strong body, he is a thumping kick and is a great runner. We are quite pleased with Clancee.”

Mentioned in another thread that my preference is schooling someone like Ballard for this role. Guy is a block of rock and a decent mid to boot. Would like to send him to the likes of Judd all game just so I could watch Ballard tackling the s**t out of him every time he got near it.

Mentioned in another thread that my preference is schooling someone like Ballard for this role. Guy is a block of rock and a decent mid to boot. Would like to send him to the likes of Judd all game just so I could watch Ballard tackling the s**t out of him every time he got near it.
We need someone for now, in the meantime

Do you honestly think he could run with the elite runners of the game?

If Crowley is rubbed out for an extended period for doing something stupid, surely he could "do a hammy" "suffer OP" "break and ankle on a suitcase" "have crippling depression" or something similar for the good of the club...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back