Summer of 2016/17

Remove this Banner Ad

Us usually playing South Africa in Feb/March is exactky the same as them playing us Nov/Dec. Both want to play Boxing Day at home. And I blame neither for it, it helps make Boxing Day the best day of the year.

So much cricket on that day. Won't be leaving my couch in a few weeks.

still this summer to get thru first.

but there are 7 tests on the calendar for next summer (only once before have we had that 2005/06).

early start to the summer in october with 4 tests v south africa and then 3 v pakistan.

it'll be interesting to see if the summer is scaled back and if it's not , where the tests will be played.

you would think the big 6 test grounds - SCG, MCG have had an extra test in the past and possibly will again.

does perth get one back from last summer or maybe even etihad get one ?

Sorry for the late reply, but in 1978/79, there were actually 8 official tests. 6 v England and 2 v Pakistan.
The latter was the most spiteful test series I've ever seen.

it has been announced that there wont be 7 tests next summer.

the 4 test series v south africa has been scaled back to 3 (surprise surprise).
the 3 v pakistan will still go ahead as scheduled.

If Pakistan are up and about they can easily beat us, even at home.

No India would be an even better summer. Unless they come over for a tri series with Pakistan.

it has been announced that there wont be 7 tests next summer.

the 4 test series v south africa has been scaled back to 3 (surprise surprise).
the 3 v pakistan will still go ahead as scheduled.

That sucks. Tests are always getting scaled back, particularly among the smaller nations, so I'm surprised Australia has stooped to that level. 7 Tests is too many for a summer is such a bullshit reason. England do 7 Test summers all the time.

If you want too many tests in a summer, South Africa have planned 13 Tests for their 2017/18 summer.

And crappy fielding.

I think we should have 7 tests every summer, I can't think of a good reason not to. Just cut down the number of ODI's against touring teams if their worried about too much cricket.
$ - 50 over games still rate, and draw crowds better than Tests (except on Boxing Day and 3 Jan) even though the crowd pulling factor of 50 overs has been slashed by the 20 over festival.

But 7 Tests with the 6th and 7th cycled through Canberra, Hobart, Newcastle (if #1 Oval gets brought up to standard), Gold Coast would be my preferred option. With an ODI in Canberra and Hobart when they don't get a Test.
Having ODIs has destroyed Hobart's Test attendance, it would quickly do the same in Canberra once the novelty wore off.

If Pakistan are up and about they can easily beat us, even at home.

No India would be an even better summer. Unless they come over for a tri series with Pakistan.
Particularly late in the summer, they avoid the bounce (though not this year) of Brisbane and Perth - when prepared in the 70s-90s way, the most difficult decks in the world for visiting batsmen to adjust to.

I know it sucks.

Saffers want to try and create the tradition of a Boxing Day test, but can only get 10,000 to Kingsmead at best because no one there cares.

Surely playing as the away team in front of 70,000 would yield more profit than playing as the home team in front of 10,000.

Yet the year after telling Australia they won't come for Boxing Day unless we go there as well they then played a T20 on Boxing Day.

how soon until we're down to 1 touring team per summer (for Tests. with a 2nd Team for ODIs?) to suit an expanded BBL comp?

Tests far north in winter will be the way it goes for the residual "lesser" nations. 4/5 Tests per summer max. Hobart gone, Gabba questionable (I was going to say Gabba in winter, but football!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tests far north in winter will be the way it goes for the residual "lesser" nations. 4/5 Tests per summer max. Hobart gone, Gabba questionable (I was going to say Gabba in winter, but football!)

Possibly send the Lions on 3 away games (1 could be away Q Clash to negate travel), could squeeze in one match in winter there, though probably not ideal

Possibly send the Lions on 3 away games (1 could be away Q Clash to negate travel), could squeeze in one match in winter there, though probably not ideal

True, a couple away, a Q clash, the bye...

If there are 7 tests no way one would go to Etihad, Spotless stadium is a bigger chance. I think they would play it in Manuka

Manuka and Spotless wouldn't meet ICC requirements for a test because their drop-ins don't stay in all summer.

It'll go to Canberra, or possibly a 2nd SCG test.

Manuka and Spotless wouldn't meet ICC requirements for a test because their drop-ins don't stay in all summer.

It'll go to Canberra, or possibly a 2nd SCG test.

Huh? Manuka is Canberra.

Anyway they already predictably announced it will be 6 Tests.

Why questionable for the Gabba?

Why questionable for the Gabba?

If my scenario of a 4 Test summer came about, 2017 and beyond, who's gonna miss out? MCG, SCG, Adelaide (D/N), Perth (new stadium, beautiful time slot), or Gabba?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back