Sunday Footy Show - Ellis

Remove this Banner Ad

Ellis says

"wasn't the way we wanted to win, was ugly but still got the 4 points"

"good game for vickery's confidence"

"doesn't think our ball use is part of the bad year, just a confidence thing the players are down on"

"game plan is still the same for the last couple of years"

"Still trying to figure out what went wrong, maybe losses to gold coast and bulldogs shattered confidence"

Ellis says

"doesn't think our ball use is part of the bad year, just a confidence thing the players are down on"

"Still trying to figure out what went wrong, maybe losses to gold coast and bulldogs shattered confidence"

Confidence thing?

Still can't figure out what went wrong....

Oh dear.

Ellis says

I beg to differ, I think the carlton comeback in round 2 even though we won spooked this side, I honestly think they went " Oh no not again ". ( as we all did )
Teams can still get rattled by certain scenarios inside games even though they win which can effect the mindset, if we had of turned that 35 odd point lead into a 60+ point win the mindset could of been a whole lot different because the way they went into the bulldogs game looked like they were still rattled from the carlton comeback the week before.

I wouldn't have thought so, I think more so , absence of Rance, Maric and lids, king and white gone from front half. Jacko s output at half of ly and tv barely firing a shot has all got a lot more to do with the s**t season
Sounds like a fair enough excuse. Let's blame injuries rather than skill execution, decision making and complete and utter lack of desire to want it more than the other 22 out there.

For me our problem this year is guys being too satisfied with last year. With exception of half a dozen guys I see no hunger, no intent to tackle hard and win the ball for my mates. Rather we have too many who want to play easy outside footy. Cotch aside our two best inside ball winners this year are Thomas and Miles. Neither of these two was there last year and are having a crack.

Other teams have worked us out, pressure and tackle us until we fold.

To his credit Ellis has improved but to say our confidence is down and use that excuse only works for a couple of matches at the most. What happens if we lose our first two or three next year?

Sounds like a fair enough excuse. Let's blame injuries rather than skill execution, decision making and complete and utter lack of desire to want it more than the other 22 out there.

For me our problem this year is guys being too satisfied with last year. With exception of half a dozen guys I see no hunger, no intent to tackle hard and win the ball for my mates. Rather we have too many who want to play easy outside footy. Cotch aside our two best inside ball winners this year are Thomas and Miles. Neither of these two was there last year and are having a crack.

Other teams have worked us out, pressure and tackle us until we fold.

To his credit Ellis has improved but to say our confidence is down and use that excuse only works for a couple of matches at the most. What happens if we lose our first two or three next year?
Is not a lame excuse, how on earth where we meant to replace rance, Maric lids and jacko ....run me by who came in for them and how they went , I haven't bothered with our limp front half ...I agree the execution of the game plan has not been great but it is secondary to the prime movers we've had out of the side

Maybe sending players to party in Brazil with our money had more to do with it? Considering other clubs were training and getting better...

I don't get why people are ticked off about that? It was before preseason and it was for charity purposes plus only 7 players went.

I don't get why people are ticked off about that? It was before preseason and it was for charity purposes plus only 7 players went.

If they really gave a s**t about the success of the club, they would be spending that time trying to get better and become the best.

Instead they used that free time to 'grow' and generate more life experiences. Hey, that's fine and dandy, but I read a story about Bon Jovi meeting Michael Jackson and BJ said that when they met, he invited MJ and MJ politely declined, sent them bubbles to party with. While they were drinking and partying, MJ was upstairs in the same hotel practising his dance moves, over and over and over again. Getter better and better. What's the result? Michael Jackson is inspiring nearly every musician in the business today and is the greatest ever, Bon Jovi is well…no better than what they were in 1987 (and still think it's 1987)

If we want to be the best, our players will need to sacrifice those experiences and focus on their career, using that spare time thinking of how to get ahead of everybody else in the competition. That goes with the coaching staff too. Most people in most careers have 4 weeks off a year, footballers have a much kinder schedule and get paid so much more. Our boys were busy getting married, holidaying, partying, they used it as an excuse to freshen up and prepare for the new year. But the key word there was 'excuse'. Excuses…

This year we're behind, hopefully next year during the off season, they don't jam pack their holidays in Brazil, partying and weddings, hopefully next year these guys can BALANCE their lives during the season and use the offseason to improve their skills rather than get away from the pressures of football.

If you want to actually win the premiership, you will agree with my post. If you don't, you wouldn't understand and never will. The greatest ever dedicated their peak years to their craft, it's one way they can be immortalised. Last year's off season has shown there are other clubs who wanted it more than us and got it...

If they really gave a s**t about the success of the club, they would be spending that time trying to get better and become the best.

Instead they used that free time to 'grow' and generate more life experiences. Hey, that's fine and dandy, but I read a story about Bon Jovi meeting Michael Jackson and BJ said that when they met, he invited MJ and MJ politely declined, sent them bubbles to party with. While they were drinking and partying, MJ was upstairs in the same hotel practising his dance moves, over and over and over again. Getter better and better. What's the result? Michael Jackson is inspiring nearly every musician in the business today and is the greatest ever, Bon Jovi is well…no better than what they were in 1987 (and still think it's 1987)

If we want to be the best, our players will need to sacrifice those experiences and focus on their career, using that spare time thinking of how to get ahead of everybody else in the competition. That goes with the coaching staff too. Most people in most careers have 4 weeks off a year, footballers have a much kinder schedule and get paid so much more. Our boys were busy getting married, holidaying, partying, they used it as an excuse to freshen up and prepare for the new year. But the key word there was 'excuse'. Excuses…

This year we're behind, hopefully next year they are no holidays in Brazil, partying and weddings, hopefully next year these guys can BALANCE their lives during the season and use the offseason to improve their skills rather than get away from the pressures of football.

If you want to actually win the premiership, you will agree with my post. If you don't, you wouldn't understand and never will. The greatest ever dedicated their peak years to their craft, it's one way they can be immortalised. Last year's off season has shown there are other clubs who wanted it more than us and got it...

I can tell you october before last year Hawks players went crazy at a few big weddings. GC players partied in Thailand ect...

These guys are still training while they are away but they deserve a break or they'll burn out. The Brazil thing is nothing to do with why we are so poor this year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can tell you october before last year Hawks players went crazy at a few big weddings. GC players partied in Thailand ect...

These guys are still training while they are away but they deserve a break or they'll burn out. The Brazil thing is nothing to do with why we are so poor this year.

That's why I bolded a specific part of my post.

It's about balancing.

The impression I got from keeping an eye on what our team was up to, they used the off season to get away from football completely. They didn't want a bar of it, if you want to be the best, you must try and get better. Ellis mentioning we've had the same game plan for the last few years suggests the coaching were just as mentally weak as the players. The same mistakes we made with our brain fades in 2012, we're still making in 2014. We're a laughing stock.

That's why I bolded a specific part of my post.

It's about balancing.

The impression I got from keeping an eye on what our team was up to, they used the off season to get away from football completely. They didn't want a bar of it, if you want to be the best, you must try and get better. Ellis mentioning we've had the same game plan for the last few years suggests the coaching were just as mentally weak as the players. The same mistakes we made with our brain fades in 2012, we're still making in 2014. We're a laughing stock.

And all the pictures of Ellis and Cotchin train together while on holiday? Or the footage of the boys in brazil working in the boxing ring are not maintaining that balance or campbell saying that training was the first thing they did every morning before doing anything else?

And all the pictures of Ellis and Cotchin train together while on holiday? Or the footage of the boys in brazil working in the boxing ring are not maintaining that balance or campbell saying that training was the first thing they did every morning before doing anything else?

dd.jpg

Yeah, how dare our players attend weddings in the off-season :rolleyes:

Undertaker you would be shocked at what most of the players (from all clubs) get up to on a Saturday night after the game.
I'm well aware, point being, don't moan about our failures if the club and it's staff aren't as dedicated to success as the rest of the competition. It's all about balance and that off season was anything but, we didn't take one step forward. You can pinpoint one word from my post and criticise it, but you cannot argue that the club used the end of the season to escape from their problems on the field rather than take them on. Procrastination at it's finest. That's why we're here now, Ellis has no idea why we're s**t and he said we're doing the same thing as last year and the year before? Read between the lines mate, he's trying to say something else without saying it...

Is not a lame excuse, how on earth where we meant to replace rance, Maric lids and jacko ....run me by who came in for them and how they went , I haven't bothered with our limp front half ...I agree the execution of the game plan has not been great but it is secondary to the prime movers we've had out of the side
Rance was very well replaced with Astbury for 5 games until he was injured in rnd 10
Maric was replaced with our new recruit ruck/fwd in Hampson for 9 games - crap, but Ivan is hard to replace
Jackson was replaced with Thomas for first 2 games - did okay without being a star but won it in tight
Lids was replaced with Thomas for 4 games - see above

Out of these guys Ivan is the toughest to replace but his backup isn't even VFL quality but the club made the decision on Maric too late.

Good teams cover for inured players, we don't! Take Freo for example they lost their two best mids (Barlow and Fyfe) about the same time as we lost Jacko and Lids and also have been without classy fwd in Walters for most of the season. Yeah sure they may have lost a couple of those games to good opposition but it's hardly derailed their season as they currently sit comfortably in the top four.

It's our lack of effort, hunger and commitment that has us where we are not three blokes missing from the game at the same time.

I'm well aware, point being, don't moan about our failures if the club and it's staff aren't as dedicated to success as the rest of the competition. It's all about balance and that off season was anything but, we didn't take one step forward. You can pinpoint one word from my post and criticise it, but you cannot argue that the club used the end of the season to escape from their problems on the field rather than take them on. Procrastination at it's finest. That's why we're here now, Ellis has no idea why we're s**t and he said we're doing the same thing as last year and the year before? Read between the lines mate, he's trying to say something else without saying it...

I assume you have already told your boss you are forfeiting all annual leave, and will be working every weekend because god forbid you have a life, find a wife, raise a child, or anything else that diverts you from your 100% dedication to his or her company

A few losses and some people seem to lose all their s**t and any sense of rationality

I assume you have already told your boss you are forfeiting all annual leave, and will be working every weekend because god forbid you have a life, find a wife, raise a child, or anything else that diverts you from your 100% dedication to his or her company

A few losses and some people seem to lose all their s**t and any sense of rationality
Sport isn't a job, to play professional sport is a privledge. You're representing a cause and creating history, if your mentality is how people are perceiving sport, like some 9-5 accountant job, no wonder Australia boasts about success after losing 3 consecutive matches in the World Cup and exiting immediately, oh but they were jolly good losses though! Whatever happened to stories like Ian Thorpe's. Where he trained every day from 5.30am. Or Andre Agassi, he practised every single day for his entire childhood. Sport requires dedication and commitment, you have an opportunity to create history. Of course we won't be creating history with your shithole mentality! Tom Hafey made every second at training count, we had the fittest team in the comp, what an attitude he had! So motivating and positive! So blunt yet so honest. Hard work is what this country is about, like I reiterated in my posts earlier, it's about finding a balance between work and play and I believe they our players escaped from the stress of football and especially escaped the prospect of having to get any better. I saw Ellis struggling to tackle a 19 year old kid yesterday, progress won't happen on it's own. Twist my words all you like, I think everyone at the club needs to dedicate making the time they have count, stop promising and start delivering.

Sport isn't a job, to play professional sport is a privledge. You're representing a cause and creating history, if your mentally is how people are perceiving sport, like some 9-5 accountant job, no wonder Australia boasts about success after losing 3 consecutive matches in the World Cup and exiting immediately, oh but they were jolly good losses though! Whatever happened to stories like Ian Thorpe's. Where he trained every day from 5.30am. Or Andre Agassi, he practised every single day for his entire childhood. Sport requires dedication and commitment, you have an opportunity to create history. Of course we won't be creating history with your shithole mentality! Tom Hafey made every second at training count, we had the fittest team in the comp, what an attitude he had! So motivating and positive! So blunt yet so honest. Hard work is what this country is about, like I reiterated in my posts earlier, it's about finding a balance between work and play and I believe they our players escaped from the stress of football and especially escaped the prospect of having to get any better. I saw Ellis struggling to tackle a 19 year old kid yesterday, progress won't happen on it's own. Twist my words all you like, I think everyone at the club needs to dedicate making the time they have count, stop promising and start delivering.

So thats a no, you deserve a life and they dont?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back