Bo_Gas

Senior List
Sep 4, 2013
Adelaide
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Seattle Mariners, Seattle Seahawks
Sunday's loss was likened to being told someone you knew had passed away or being continously kicked in the guts 10 times+

It meant more than just the win for me however, it represented my first final live as well as my son's. So to share that with him was something special, we flew in from Adelaide Sunday morning, got to the ground just as they opened the gates, then sat and watched as the crowd filed in to their seats.

The first half was electric, with every goal or holding the ball the entire tiger army was up in full roar - this is what we came for, to witness first hand what 94,000+ feels like!

To then see our team fall over in the 3rd was devastating, my son and I sat like stunned mullets as we watched Carlton and their quiet crowd start to lift.

What did you guys like about the day? atmosphere? the fact we actually made the finals?

Sunday's loss was likened to being told someone you knew had passed away or being continously kicked in the guts 10 times+

It meant more than just the win for me however, it represented my first final live as well as my son's. So to share that with him was something special, we flew in from Adelaide Sunday morning, got to the ground just as they opened the gates, then sat and watched as the crowd filed in to their seats.

The first half was electric, with every goal or holding the ball the entire tiger army was up in full roar - this is what we came for, to witness first hand what 94,000+ feels like!

To then see our team fall over in the 3rd was devastating, my son and I sat like stunned mullets as we watched Carlton and their quiet crowd start to lift.

What did you guys like about the day? atmosphere? the fact we actually made the finals?

This is my anger with it, Hardwick said in an interview last week the coaching staff had learnt lessons from round 21 against the blues , so why the hell did we let it happen again exactly the same thing.
Was a great atmosphere enjoyed the day with my Roo barracking mate who was shouting for the Tigers also, unfortunatley we should have come out with a win but didn't , massive opportunity missed for a prelim.
I said to my mate before the game if Tigers play 4 quarters Blues will get done , didn't happen yet again we played a half and that was it game over.

This is my anger with it, Hardwick said in an interview last week the coaching staff had learnt lessons from round 21 against the blues , so why the hell did we let it happen again exactly the same thing.
Was a great atmosphere enjoyed the day with my Roo barracking mate who was shouting for the Tigers also, unfortunatley we should have come out with a win but didn't , massive opportunity missed for a prelim.
I said to my mate before the game if Tigers play 4 quarters Blues will get done , didn't happen yet again we played a half and that was it game over.

yeah thats it - same thing happened last time and we learnt nothing from it... either Dimma was blind or Mick's a genius...

yeah thats it - same thing happened last time and we learnt nothing from it... either Dimma was blind or Mick's a genius...
micks a genius credit where due his flood,niggle,clamp damage limitation tactics in the first 1/4 won them the game had e blown them away like last TIME WITH A 5 GOAL 1/4 TIME LEAD ALL OVER RED ROVER. but not to be cudeos to mick ya prick

Mick said all week he was going to try and break down our strengths and thats exactly what he did.

Lets also not forget exactly the same thing happened round 1. We were 40 up at one stage and ended up winning by 2 points and that was only because Yarran missed two easy ones.

Amazing that all 3 games were played out in the same manner. Each game we killed them early only to have a flurry of goals we could not stop. Any loss was going to hurt but damn it hurt a little more knowing which way it was coming from. Strike 1....Strike 2....Strike 3....YOUR OUT!

Not ideal to lose, and to carlton nonetheless but for me i am just looking at the big picture. we have a young group who are only going to improve and we will play finals again. Gotta take the good with the bad, we have a very consistent season but fell in our first final. We will be back and stronger. Carlton are weakening and have s**t-stains as young up and comers.

Well it was a disappointing end to a season where we improved quite a bit. However on field we have major issues if we are too consistently win enough games to force our way into the top 4. Luckily we young team with an average age below 23 so the next 2-3 years should be exciting.

Here are my thoughts on Sunday:

We have a game plan that appears highly reliant on winning clearances to win games of football which I have no problem with, however, we currently do not have any defensive structures that stand up when we are getting beaten in contested football that allow us to stop the kind of runs that Carlton produced on Sunday. These goals runs have occurred in other games as well – Brisbane second half, Collingwood second half, Geelong second half, Sydney second half, Carlton three times in the second half, North Melbourne 4 quarters, Essendon dreamtime 4 quarters.

These runs could also be related to Vickery’s inability to effectively support Maric in the ruck leaving too much for Maric to do alone and further affecting the team’s ability to win clearances. We need to get time into Vickery in the gym and work heavily on his ruck work in the offseason (maybe get a Daren Jolly in to work with him). With McBean showing promise I would like Liam to become the #1 key forward over the next 2-3 years with Riewoldt going #2 and Vickery #3.

Our forward line is a schmozzle to be honest; chaotic may be the best word to describe it. We need the coaching staff to tidy this up and improve whatever systems exist.

Our defence lacks a class medium defender that actually defends. Duigan was playing on Deledio for parts of Sunday and he kicked 4 – not much good IMHO. Houli struggles to defend one-on-one. Morris is a good defender but is fumbly and needs to start winning more football as he develops. Grimes – the jury is out on Grimey until he gets a consistent run of footy but 2014 will be important for him.

Our midfield needs another clearance machine – hopefully rumours surrounding th likes of Taylor Adams or Dom Tyson at GWS are true as they are exactly the type of young clearance machines we need. If our game plan relies on clearances we obviously need clearance players. Vlastuin looks like developing here as well and hopefully Conca can develop also, and Martin if he hangs around.

We also need one or two running machines just to run the wings all day long that will supply release outlets to our backs and centre players. We may have players on our list to fill these roles in Knights, McIntosh and White - who was a massive out on Sunday – just massive. Ellis is another who could provide improvement in our outside run. Grigg needs to lift his game another notch or others will go past him.

Finally, we need a small forward with talent not just grunt, Jake King has gone well by his used by date, I am hoping that somehow a Dayle Gartlett falls through us a bit later in the draft. We need speed and class up front. Otherwise Matt McDonough or Brad Helbig need to be given a go in 2014 across half-forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on the game:

They flogged us in the centre clearences all game thanks to their rucks giving their mids first use.

In the first half our defence stood up and we were rebounding the ball with ease from our half back line.

3rd quarter, suddenly they were getting reward for these efforts in the form of posession chains from the center clearences, not just hacked kicks forward. Judd was winning every contested possession in the middle and tellingly they were able to kick straight and capatalise on this period of dominance. 6.1 for the quarter and 5 straight in that run. One behind in there and they give us possession and we have a chance to play the game on our terms - kick straight and continue to bury us in the middle.

We'd burnt ourselves out playing high tempo footy in the first quarter but could only manage 3.5 from the lop sided inside 50 count over that period (due to mick flooding our forward line).

Once the blues got 10 points in front in the last we needed something special. Didn't happen and they kicked away as we threw caution to the wind.

Look.

No team is gonna immediately learn from one bad encounter and have the immediate response. Not without a hell of a lot of luck. Yeah, Dimma would've learnt some lessons from our previous encounter and would have a fair idea on what he needs to do with playing group, but thats not always gonna an instant fix. It takes time sometimes.

And the flip side of the coin is your opposition is never gonna accept a win and move on. And neither will the Tiges. There's always improvements to be made; no win is ever good enough and no loss is without lessons.

You've got almost the right squad and you well earned the 5th spot on the ladder. I've no doubt you'll make the top 4 next year, and Dimma is absolutely the right man to do it. A couple of smart list changes in trade week and who knows?

C ya in the prelims next year ;):thumbsu:

There were so many areas that were a concern in that last half - when I calm myself down I'm going to analyze it in my next article - I want to constructively disect it whilst also showing the journey my boy and I had from Adelaide and the overall atmosphere and experience...

But all over the shop we had issues, most importantly the midfield, they held our best players to bugger all posessions in that 3rd quarter blitz. Vickery, everyone knows my thoughts on him, yes 2 goals but sadly his role was poorly played, when he moved to the ruck he was easily beaten and didn't command the general role like maric can. Back's, Morris gave Bett's way too much room to move and to allow Duigan, a known defender to come in and kick 4 is a joke.

Forwards - Azza started well but lacked the support, Vickery made it difficult as he didn't move much and when he did seemed to get in the way of the others, Riewoldt, poorly positioned by the coaching staff.. Kingy was non existent..

Thats my quick look - i'll go over it after properly and write up my next article...

There were so many areas that were a concern in that last half - when I calm myself down I'm going to analyze it in my next article - I want to constructively disect it whilst also showing the journey my boy and I had from Adelaide and the overall atmosphere and experience...

But all over the shop we had issues, most importantly the midfield, they held our best players to bugger all posessions in that 3rd quarter blitz. Vickery, everyone knows my thoughts on him, yes 2 goals but sadly his role was poorly played, when he moved to the ruck he was easily beaten and didn't command the general role like maric can. Back's, Morris gave Bett's way too much room to move and to allow Duigan, a known defender to come in and kick 4 is a joke.

Forwards - Azza started well but lacked the support, Vickery made it difficult as he didn't move much and when he did seemed to get in the way of the others, Riewoldt, poorly positioned by the coaching staff.. Kingy was non existent..

Thats my quick look - i'll go over it after properly and write up my next article...

Had a look at the Swans Carlton final. Apart from the Swans contested ball mids, the Swans backs handled Carltons forwards with a great deal of effectiveness. Clearly Grundy/ Malceski and other backs are a step ahead of us atm!!!

Had a look at the Swans Carlton final. Apart from the Swans contested ball mids, the Swans backs handled Carltons forwards with a great deal of effectiveness. Clearly Grundy/ Malceski and other backs are a step ahead of us atm!!!

Yep thats it - are we just one gun defender off from being complete back there? do we have too many small running defenders?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back