Suns in the Media - Part I

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
didn't know whether to post this here or in the pre-season thread but here goes.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2015-02-02/boot-camp

A bit of a change up for the boys over the weekend going into the
Will be interesting to see if there are any changes to the leadership group. Thinking maybe Mal will be added?

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au...of-injury-crisis/story-fnj9yd7s-1227213803219

GOLD Coast coach Rodney Eade has played down concerns that the Suns are nearing a ruck crisis close to the start of the 2015 AFL pre-season series.

Yesterday, after an intense training session finished at Metricon Stadium, the Suns had only Zac Smith and Daniel Gorringe as recognised ruck options to leave the track intact.

Already without Charlie Dixon (ankle), Steven May (knee), Sam Day (calf), Rory Thompson (toe), the absence of Tom Nicholls and their top draft pick Peter Wright from the main group led to concerns of a shortage of tall timber for the NAB Challenge.

And when a likely option in rookie-listed Keegan Brooksby was flattened in a full-scale match simulation, things looked even worse as assistant coach Josh Fraser had to go up against Smith.

The Suns open their pre-season campaign against Geelong in Townsville on Sunday, March 1, but Eade said the situation was not as bad as it may look.

Brooksby crashed to the ground heavily after a centre bounce collision with the much bigger Smith and had to leave the ground seemingly concussed.

“But he was OK later,” Eade said.

“As for Tom (Nicholls) and Peter (Wright) they’re fine. We’re just managing their workloads and in Peter’s case he has had a fairly big load for a young bloke.”

The Suns have a full-scale practice match, complete with two NEAFL umpires, and it is something the players need at this stage of the season, said Eade.

“We’re cranking up the intensity and that is good at this time of the year because obviously we need to ramp it up a bit,” he said.

“But it has been a long pre-season so we have to manage the workload.”

Luke Russell, sporting a cast to protect a broken left thumb and wearing a bright orange cap, also sent a scare through the camp when he was flattened in a collision with Matty Shaw in practise.

Russell was helped to the change rooms on wobbly legs but later walked unassisted back to the Suns gym.

“I thought I was wearing an orange cap,” quipped Shaw. Players wearing the cap, as Gary Ablett has done all pre-season, are supposed to be protected species during competitive drills.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If athletic beast means skinny/ lanky and soft.. Then yes..thats smith.
I would of thought a 100kg 25 yr old state league ruckman would have more aggression in him.. Then to be K.O'd by our beanpole.

Zac Smith isn't the lanky 18 year old we knew 5 years ago. He is actually pretty big now

Nice ad in the Bully for the open day tomorrow. Anyone going?

B9rxwWOIEAEpz0c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back