Support Base Spreadsheet - Where do the 18 AFL clubs sit

Remove this Banner Ad

i did a bit of research of the NRL clubs & i'm pretty sure some clubs do buy several facebook likes
Brisbane: 527,800
Melbourne: 380,375
New Zealand: 359,732
South Sydney: 301,140
Paramatta: 256,471
Canterbury-Bankstown: 231,829.
I don't find any of those suspicious, top 3 are one town teams, bottom 3 are big traditional sydney clubs. The numbers are about what I would expect. Pressing like is not much of a commitment.

I can't explain the low Adelaide, West Coast numbers other than to say that perhaps they lack the national footprint of the big Victorian clubs? Either that or the WA and SA clubs don't get access to the same amount of FTA coverage as the Vic clubs, exposure would definitely play a role in all this

In Perth you really notice a lot number plates, stickers etc of Victorian teams, on WA cars, I would say a lot these associations were formed prior to WCE or Freo, I don't really think it would work the other way, for EX in Melbourne I would expect hardly any WCE or Dockers number plates etc.

ATM I have noticed a lot of Hawthorn membership stickers on cars ( surprise surprise) but over the years North Melbourne, Collingwood and Carlton seem to the frontrunners ( North in particular) and that probably stems from the Krakours, Glendinning, Cable etc.

The Victorian teams playing in what was the best comp in the country ( VFL) always had a much larger national profile than any WAFL team etc , eyeballs are always dragged to the highest standard league.

WCE and the Dockers are huge local teams, people know about them all over the country and they have a high profile, but they lack a Australia wide fan base like Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon etc

I don't find any of those suspicious, top 3 are one town teams, bottom 3 are big traditional sydney clubs. The numbers are about what I would expect. Pressing like is not much of a commitment.

I guess, the population of Perth is comparable to Brisbane, yet the combined total of Perths 2 AFL teams is nowhere near Brisbane's RL Team.

I guess, the population of Perth is comparable to Brisbane, yet the combined total of Perths 2 AFL teams is nowhere near Brisbane's RL Team.
Perth is still more than 300k smaller than Brisbane, SE Qld is more than a million bigger than greater Perth and Qld is nearly double the population of WA. The Broncos also have a strong following in NZ and throughout the pacific islands. If anything the Broncos should really have more followers.

Perth is still more than 300k smaller than Brisbane, SE Qld is more than a million bigger than greater Perth and Qld is nearly double the population of WA. The Broncos also have a strong following in NZ and throughout the pacific islands.

Yep, that would be the reasons then.

Here's some similar analysis that looked at Google Trends search results which might interest you:

http://footymaths.blogspot.com/2014/04/guest-post-google-trends-and-popularity.html

You get skewed results though. Everyone was searching for Essendon because of the drug scandal, not necessarily being a fan.

Same goes with the good teams, I know I will google more about teams that are competing with Sydney. I know sydney news/stats/etc... without needing Google, Where as I will google to learn about opposing teams like hawks, geelong, west coast (from the mid 2000's), etc....

I think that the Google results from AFL will indicate teams that can sell newspapers apart from a supporter base.

Brisbane: 527,800
Melbourne: 380,375

Collingwood 311,235
Essendon 301,092
:confused: yeah nah those figures for the Storm and Broncos are crap
Why? Because they are higher than two Victorian afl clubs based in a state shared with another 8? Crazy...

Why? Because they are higher than two Victorian afl clubs based in a state shared with another 8? Crazy...
yeah no,
here are the merchandise sales from last year
collingwoods isn't listed in their annual report
Essendon $3,249,850 million & they didn't make the finals
Brisbane Broncos $1,316,125 million
taken from the clubs annual reports 2013
there is something seriously wrong with those numbers from the storm and broncos

yeah no,
here are the merchandise sales from last year
collingwoods isn't listed in their annual report
Essendon $3,249,850 million & they didn't make the finals
Brisbane Broncos $1,316,125 million
taken from the clubs annual reports 2013
there is something seriously wrong with those numbers from the storm and broncos
yeah no.

What has that got to do with people clicking a like button?

The Broncos are one of only three NRL clubs in a rugby league state of 4.6m people and the only club in a city of over 2m, they are also popular in NZ and the pacific islands. They are the premier club in Qld and there is zero surprise that they have half a million people willing to click a like button.

The storm are the only NRL club in Victoria and clicking like suggests nothing more than people getting behind the only club from Victoria, it doesn't suggest anything about how active their engagement is.

Pity a thread dedicated to AFL support has turned into a AFL v NRL thingy. Maybe all offending posts could be directed into the appropriate thread The_Wookie

What are you talking about ?, how in the hell are these 'offending' posts, seriously !!.

Simply pointing out the number of facebook likes is offending now ?.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pity a thread dedicated to AFL support has turned into a AFL v NRL thingy. Maybe all offending posts could be directed into the appropriate thread The_Wookie
I don't even think it is an NRL v AFL debate, at least not for me it isn't, all I have done is offer a number of reasonable explanations for the number of likes of particular clubs in relation to the number of likes achieved by others.

In Perth you really notice a lot number plates, stickers etc of Victorian teams, on WA cars, I would say a lot these associations were formed prior to WCE or Freo, I don't really think it would work the other way, for EX in Melbourne I would expect hardly any WCE or Dockers number plates etc.

ATM I have noticed a lot of Hawthorn membership stickers on cars ( surprise surprise) but over the years North Melbourne, Collingwood and Carlton seem to the frontrunners ( North in particular) and that probably stems from the Krakours, Glendinning, Cable etc.

The Victorian teams playing in what was the best comp in the country ( VFL) always had a much larger national profile than any WAFL team etc , eyeballs are always dragged to the highest standard league.

WCE and the Dockers are huge local teams, people know about them all over the country and they have a high profile, but they lack a Australia wide fan base like Collingwood, Richmond, Carlton and Essendon etc

Does Richmond seriously have that large a national fanbase?

I don't even think it is an NRL v AFL debate, at least not for me it isn't, all I have done is offer a number of reasonable explanations for the number of likes of particular clubs in relation to the number of likes achieved by others.

No issue with your replies, just not sure why NRL likes even needed to be mentioned (not by you) in a thread dedicated to AFL support.

Dunno, but they've got bugger all fans in Perth. I'd guess only the Dogs and Melbourne would have less over here of the Vic clubs. Maybe St Kilda as well.

Noticed a few Saints fans in Perth actually, could have something to do with the fact that there is a couple of cars with St Kilda plates on in my street.

Op is conciliatory about hawthorns future but it is entirely possible that hawthorn could plateau out nearer the very top teams than the following pack. Even after success eases a bit. Not certain of course

Remove this Banner Ad

Back