Opinion Swans Talk in the Football Media

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This won't stop until we're in the position the Brisbane Lions are currently in. We need to fight this every step of the way.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...-pridham-feud-intensifies-20140714-zt77h.html
"I have nothing against Eddie, what I have objection to is when he gets away with saying things that aren't true and they become law.
"I just have objections to him demeaning the Sydney Swans and the competition generally. His commentary, I mean that in a broad sense, is so often negative.
A.Pridham has a good grasp of Eddie's MO, and has acted exactly right in defending our club.

How does it help the Collingwood football team to have the President mouthing off at all these other clubs, who'll just be motivated to clobber the Pies next time around.

Interesting Carey would say that,given it was attitudes like his, refusing to one to Sydney,and stated he preferred to play in SA,I know ppl will say we sold him & Longmire, but Carey was one of many refusing to come,hence COLA & Retention allowances were bought in.
Too many drugs for Carey...mmmk

Maybe he blames us for him having an affair with his vice-captain's wife.

Unfortunately it might mean losing our academies due to the fire that Eddie has sparked. I mean **** the expansion states. The Victorians do not care at all if no players from NSW or QLD are drafted. They genuinely do not care.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The mentality of Victorians is that the AFL is Victoria's party and the interstate clubs are the invited guests.

They're happy to gloat about a national competition but can't bear the thought of their precious cup leaving Victoria.

SEN discussion this morning demonstrates that the Sydney v Melbourne issue is unrecoverable. Eddie has lit the fire and the pitchforks are out. To his credit Andy Maher defended our position and he was shot down by Watson, Gaze and a raft of callers. One Sydney supporter asked Gaze whether he would move to Sydney for a 5% net pay rise and he refused to answer. Lets embrace our new status as the most hated team. Hate = jealousy = success.
Meh screw talk back radio, probably the same rafts of callers claiming Adam Goodes overreacted to racial abuse.

The Age and Fox Footy seem to be on our side, which is nice as they are 2 of the more respectable media outlets.

On a side note Tim Watson has to be one of the most cringeworthy commentators getting around, the Talking Footy panel of him Carey and Darcy is an absuloute joke.

Meh screw talk back radio, probably the same rafts of callers claiming Adam Goodes overreacted to racial abuse.

The Age and Fox Footy seem to be on our side, which is nice as they are 2 of the more respectable media outlets.

On a side note Tim Watson has to be one of the most cringeworthy commentators getting around, the Talking Footy panel of him Carey and Darcy is an absuloute joke.
Talking footy is a Maguire company production. No surprise about Watson and Carey views based on that. Interesting one for me is the Murdoch driven agenda out of the Telegraph in Sydney. Maguire was whinging about the conflict with him as the "face of Fox Footy" and Murdoch influence there. Running away squealing for the AFL to step in was also telling. I get the feeling the walls might be closing on Eddie, what we need now is Colin Carter from Geelong and some other presidents to press home the advantage. Tick, tick boom!

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

The mentality of Victorians is that the AFL is Victoria's party and the interstate clubs are the invited guests.

They're happy to gloat about a national competition but can't bear the thought of their precious cup leaving Victoria.
I'll tell you what the mentality of Victorians is and that is that we don't have to put up with crap like this, remember TWO CITIES , ONE TEAM. At least most Victorians don't jump on the bandwagon and are loyal ! sick of this s**t

I'll tell you what the mentality of Victorians is and that is that we don't have to put up with crap like this, remember TWO CITIES , ONE TEAM.

Agreed. Let's not turn this into a state v state debate.

To be fair, South Melbourne Swans are treated disgustingly by large portions of the wider AR community. You're the ones people try to disenfranchise when they call us a franchise club.

It's not Sydneysiders doing that. Never forget that.

It is the very dismissal of your existence that allows Sydney to be called an interstate club in the first place.

Two cities one team isn't a slogan. It's a call to arms.

So for the sake of protocol perhaps being a little less precious about being generalised as Victorians if a Swans poster has a rant would be helpful. Clearly offending Victorian members isn't the intention.

Just saying. Peace.

Last edited:
Well it did once again, half of em wouldn't even know about South.

Yeah gotta admit this does get a bit tiring, just the way it is though.

I made the trip up for the GWS game a couple weeks ago, was chatting to a few people around me before the game, after I said I was from Victoria I was asked how I began to follow a team from Sydney, none had heard of South. Strange feeling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Another anti Victorian ffs. This is about the media. Maybe there should be a stop Eddie thread

Good idea. I had thought about keeping the Eddie stuff, rants etc to a separate thread and leaving this one for general swans talk in the media, you have spurred me on. It might be time to split the thread since we can't stop people from talking about him.

Edit: all Eddie angst, rants etc now go in here --> http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...all-eddie-angst-rants-etc-go-in-here.1070077/

Last edited:
Good idea. I had thought about keeping the Eddie stuff, rants etc to a separate thread and leaving this one for general swans talk in the media, you have spurred me on. It might be time to split the thread since we can't stop people from talking about him.

With respect. What is the point? This thread is about things said about the Swans in the Media. Why have a specific thread about what McGuire says in the media? Do we really need multiple threads covering things said about the Swans. :oops:

Do we really need multiple threads covering things said about the Swans. :oops:

We don't, and that's a fair point, but as it's become a bit of a 'hot topic' at the moment, I thought it was worth having a separate thread to quash some of the myths out there and call Eddie out on some of his lies. It may die off once this latest spat blows over, but the nature of this thread is more suited to general swans talk in the media.

Well it did once again, half of em wouldn't even know about South.

Well my first Swans guernsey was an old South one so I am well aware of our past as South Melbourne.

I was ranting about fans of Victorian clubs, how you got the idea I was having a shot at old South fans is drawing a very long bow indeed.

We don't, and that's a fair point, but as it's become a bit of a 'hot topic' at the moment, I thought it was worth having a separate thread to quash some of the myths out there and call Eddie out on some of his lies. It may die off once this latest spat blows over, but the nature of this thread is more suited to general swans talk in the media.

Actually a hot topic thread addressing the general issue of how we as supporters would like to see the club respond to the general criticism would probably be good. I wasn't intending to come off as trying to telll you how to run your site. I just had this sense you'd be fighting against the inevitable a bit.

FWIW I think most of us are still trying to add content both the good and the bad as it comes in. But there hasn't been much else said about us recently. :(

Yeah gotta admit this does get a bit tiring, just the way it is though.

I made the trip up for the GWS game a couple weeks ago, was chatting to a few people around me before the game, after I said I was from Victoria I was asked how I began to follow a team from Sydney, none had heard of South. Strange feeling.

Sorry you experienced that, Horts. :(

Trust me. Plenty of us know. But there are newbies coming through who have to be taught things. It's just the facts of life. I was no different. I loved the Swans as a kid before I'd ever heard of "The Bloods" or Bobby Simpson. But as my passion grew all that stuff gets learned in time.

If you'd met me in that stand, you might have a different impression of Sydney.

Hmm. Actually scratch that. Meeting me might have led to an even worse impression. I retract that. :oops::D

Actually a hot topic thread addressing the general issue of how we as supporters would like to see the club respond to the general criticism would probably be good. I wasn't intending to come off as trying to telll you how to run your site. I just had this sense you'd be fighting against the inevitable a bit.

All good, and it's not my site, us mods are just volunteers who are supporters of the club just like you are.

The 'mega thread' that I have included a link to above is broad enough to cover all possible discussion that flows from the criticism, so we can talk about any related issues there too. But let's get back on topic, if you have any feedback as to how we run the board, just shoot me, Bonz or robbieando a PM.

I'll tell you what the mentality of Victorians is and that is that we don't have to put up with crap like this, remember TWO CITIES , ONE TEAM. At least most Victorians don't jump on the bandwagon and are loyal ! sick of this s**t

You have a very good argument Bedford, until you started slagging off non-Victorian supporters.

You have a very good argument Bedford, until you started slagging off non-Victorian supporters.

A good point. One thing we don't do on here is to resort to arguments like which group of supporters is better, as there are loyal supporters on both sides of the Barassi Line.

Oh and while I am at it. I become red and white in 1992.

We finished stone motherless last that year after winning only 3 games.

So it's a long bow of epic proportions to label us north of the border as "bandwagoners"

SEN discussion this morning demonstrates that the Sydney v Melbourne issue is unrecoverable. Eddie has lit the fire and the pitchforks are out. To his credit Andy Maher defended our position and he was shot down by Watson, Gaze and a raft of callers. One Sydney supporter asked Gaze whether he would move to Sydney for a 5% net pay rise and he refused to answer. Lets embrace our new status as the most hated team. Hate = jealousy = success.
Andrew Gaze to quote a famous quote, "the guy is as sharp as a billiard ball" big fish in a small bowl Basketball wise, didn't make it in NBA, came back to kill 'em in Aust, however there are stronger leagues in Europe he could have played in,but chose a softer option, for example Joe Ingles, Maric and Kawai are currently in Europe,
Point being he came home to mummy & Daddy, so he wouldn't have comprehended the question posed, silver spoon boy, no time for him at all...

Sorry you experienced that, Horts. :(

Trust me. Plenty of us know. But there are newbies coming through who have to be taught things. It's just the facts of life. I was no different. I loved the Swans as a kid before I'd ever heard of "The Bloods" or Bobby Simpson. But as my passion grew all that stuff gets learned in time.

If you'd met me in that stand, you might have a different impression of Sydney.

Hmm. Actually scratch that. Meeting me might have led to an even worse impression. I retract that. :oops::D
What the F has Bobby Simpson got to do with the Swans ! I rest my case

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back