Tablets

Remove this Banner Ad

Apple is Samsung's biggest client - by a mile.
I still think (this is an opinion, not fact) Apple stands to lose more if they part company.

In the top 500 list of companies, Apple comes in at 119 and Samsung at 22 making Samsung one monster of a company.

Apple is in the tech game and really has pinned it's success on a few items whereas Samsung has it's finger in many pies (or Apples as the case may be :p).

I just think Apple throwing punches left right and centre toward everyone (they're not just suing Samsung) is not sound business practice.

Saying that, Apple aren't the only ones doing it.
Check this out!!!
And thats from a year ago, imagine how bad it is now!!!

I've always wondered why Google allow iOS to use Google maps. Surely pulling that rug from underneath them would hurt iOS. Although obviously they're getting something for it.

I've always wondered why Google allow iOS to use Google maps. Surely pulling that rug from underneath them would hurt iOS. Although obviously they're getting something for it.
It was heavily Co developed for the iPhone early on I'd guess they may be still contracted to do it. And apple has recently been buying up some maping firms, and have been on a drive for employees for map services.

I simply cannot understand Apples motives on this sue.
Sueing the manufacturer of many of your components??...Baffling :confused:

Simple. Delay competitors product, get your product out there

Apple is aware Samsungs tablet is a better product than the iPad

If any company doing it as good or better than them it is Samsungs

Samsung has more revenue (2x), assets (3x), and equity (2x) than Apple and similar profits. Apple shares are high because they're achieving similar profits on a much smaller base, but Samsung is a much bigger company.

Also, Sony is a bigger client of Samsung than Apple and Dell are the same. At the beginning of last year Apple accounted for 2.5% of Samsung's total sales, while losing that would be blow it would not be crippling.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Breaking news: Federal Court overturns Samsung Galaxy Tab injunction

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/281727,federal-court-overturns-samsung-galaxy-tab-injunction.aspx

The Federal Court of Australia has unanimously overturned an interlocutory injunction against Samsung's Galaxy Tab 10.1 tablet, with Apple ordered to pay costs of the appeal.

But Justice Lindsay Foster, who handed down the judgment today on behalf of the Full Bench, today granted Apple an extension on the judgment until 4pm Friday this week, by which time the iPad maker intends to apply for leave to appeal before the High Court.

The successful appeal will allow Samsung to launch the Australian version of the tablet within seven days.

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/281727,federal-court-overturns-samsung-galaxy-tab-injunction.aspx

Has anyone tried the Sony Tablet S? I'm torn between that and the Galaxy 7. I've got a MacAir which is great but I'm looking for an alternative to Apple.

If anyone could help me make a decision it would be greatly appreciated.

I had an iPad around Christmas time but sold it out of frustration because the no flash thing annoyed me too much. Even some of the flash browsers they have don't work properly and it was pretty much just a bigger iPhone which I have. Pretty much what I'm looking for is something that's going to resemble a computer as much as possible but have the portability of an iPad/tablet. I want to be able to not worry about the sites I go to, which youtube videos will and won't work etc. Is this what I'm going to get if I opt for a Tablet? Is there a browser on anything that's capable of that?

I'm not too into apps but I like the e-readers and things like that, and I like the auto-correct as well so it would be nice if a tablet had those. Most of my friends have iPads so I can't grab a Tablet and muck around with it for a while to get an idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone could help me make a decision it would be greatly appreciated.

I had an iPad around Christmas time but sold it out of frustration because the no flash thing annoyed me too much. Even some of the flash browsers they have don't work properly and it was pretty much just a bigger iPhone which I have. Pretty much what I'm looking for is something that's going to resemble a computer as much as possible but have the portability of an iPad/tablet. I want to be able to not worry about the sites I go to, which youtube videos will and won't work etc. Is this what I'm going to get if I opt for a Tablet? Is there a browser on anything that's capable of that?

I'm not too into apps but I like the e-readers and things like that, and I like the auto-correct as well so it would be nice if a tablet had those. Most of my friends have iPads so I can't grab a Tablet and muck around with it for a while to get an idea. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Pretty much any Android based tablet will run Flash on sites, though I don't know how they fair with Flash games
So Samsung's Galaxy Tab will do everything you want it to, as far as a tablet device is concerned

YouTube will work on an iPad mind you. YouTube have spent a lot of time and effort making sure of that (you'll get to their HTML5 version of the site basically {I think}, when browsing via an iPad)

After that it comes down to $$
There are some very cheap yet very limiting tablets around these days

When you say "resemble a computer" though, I start to wonder if you wouldn't be happier with something like an UltraBook

In my opinion, tablets are good devices for consuming content. But for creating content (even a relatively short forum post such as this) they drive me nucking futs

Pretty much any Android based tablet will run Flash on sites, though I don't know how they fair with Flash games
So Samsung's Galaxy Tab will do everything you want it to, as far as a tablet device is concerned

YouTube will work on an iPad mind you. YouTube have spent a lot of time and effort making sure of that (you'll get to their HTML5 version of the site basically {I think}, when browsing via an iPad)

When you say "resemble a computer" though, I start to wonder if you wouldn't be happier with something like an UltraBook

In my opinion, tablets are good devices for consuming content. But for creating content (even a relatively short forum post such as this) they drive me nucking futs

Yep they are for consuming and light work as far as creating goes. Internet, email, apps, games, books, magazines, showing a presentation, anything else gets done on my MacBook.

Thanks to both of you.

Two quick questions: What is it that drives you mad, and Tablets don't have auto correct do they? (yes lazy)

iPad = tablet
tablets have auto correct (and that even drives me a bit mad), including Samsung Galaxy Tab and other Android devices

I find typing on the screen very clumsy (maybe I'm just clumsy) but coupled with the auto correct it drives me bonkers to have the thing mis-auto correct me, and lately there's this thing with the iPad where the keyboard suddenly "splits" (so that half of the keyboard shrinks and goes over to the left, and half shrinks and goes to the right, apparently making it easier to "thumb type")

So it's more about my needs. I am a software designer by day, and a web developer by night, and therefore do a lot of typing, so for me the click and clunk of a proper keyboard is the go. Typing on a screen is just not good enough

Oh, and one thing I really dislike on the iPad is when you use Safari and open a new tab (yay, it supports tabs now) you go straight to the Google search box. Most of the time I know what URL I want to go to, and even if I don't I can just type keywords in the URL and Safari will assume I want to then use Google anyway

Give me Opera any day of the week

^^Thanks for your help. Probably leaning towards the tablet, but the familiarity of an iPad is tempting. Cheers again for the tips.
Tablets like the Asus Transformer Prime has a very convenient connectible keyboard that turns it into a netbook and makes typing so much easier.

Hi guys, I'm looking for a WiFi tablet (or any touch screen device) that will allow me to play internet radio (I want to get Australian Radio stations). Any device that could get the Tune In Radio app would be great.

I want to hook it upto an amp and speakers in the main living room for my parents to use as a replacement to an analogue radio and have it run through our home WiFi (as the sound quality is so much better through the internet)

I have a budget for around $100-$120 - I don't mind if it is a model of a tablet that's a few years old - I just want a big enough touch screen (at least 8-9 inches) that will be easy to use for my parents.

Any ideas? (I've looked at the Sony Dash, Chumby 8 - I need more suggestions!)

Thanks!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back