Tablets

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi guys, I'm looking for a WiFi tablet (or any touch screen device) that will allow me to play internet radio (I want to get Australian Radio stations). Any device that could get the Tune In Radio app would be great.

I want to hook it upto an amp and speakers in the main living room for my parents to use as a replacement to an analogue radio and have it run through our home WiFi (as the sound quality is so much better through the internet)

I have a budget for around $100-$120 - I don't mind if it is a model of a tablet that's a few years old - I just want a big enough touch screen (at least 8-9 inches) that will be easy to use for my parents.

Any ideas? (I've looked at the Sony Dash, Chumby 8 - I need more suggestions!)

Thanks!

I just got one of these.....

http://www.mp4nation.net/ainol-novo-7-aurora-ii-7-lg-ips-screen-android-4-03-tablet-16gb-black

Has a mini-HDMI port that you could possibly connect to your amp. It's potentially fast enough to run xbmc on too, giving you the option of full high-def video. If you search OzBargain there's a 5% off "voucher" code too

I just got one of these.....

http://www.mp4nation.net/ainol-novo-7-aurora-ii-7-lg-ips-screen-android-4-03-tablet-16gb-black

Has a mini-HDMI port that you could possibly connect to your amp. It's potentially fast enough to run xbmc on too, giving you the option of full high-def video. If you search OzBargain there's a 5% off "voucher" code too

Thanks for that - I'm actually looking at getting second hand HP Touch Pad 9.7" 32GB with the latest version of Android installed for $150, thoughts? Are they comparable?

Ok its been 18 months since the last post.

I'm looking at getting a tablet for uni, my laptop screwed itself, and I don't want to lug around a bulky laptop anyway. Most of my computing is done at home, and on uni computers when I can. Basically i just want something to use when I'm mobile, to watch movies when on the train, or watch lectures or web browsing, or something to use when out and about.

Just wondering what I should look at, and if people have any suggestions.

Rule 1. NO Apple products.
Rule 2. Refer to rule 1.

Needs wi-fi
Don't care about on board memory size, I'm happy to use cards.

I was looking at the Microsoft Surface Pro, a little pricey, but really good resolution. Does anyone know why they failed commercially? Are they bad tablets or just overrun by Apple and Samsung marketing?

I'm looking at getting a tablet for uni, my laptop screwed itself, and I don't want to lug around a bulky laptop anyway. Most of my computing is done at home, and on uni computers when I can. Basically i just want something to use when I'm mobile, to watch movies when on the train, or watch lectures or web browsing, or something to use when out and about.

Rule 2. Refer to rule 1.

Needs wi-fi

I was looking at the Microsoft Surface Pro, a little pricey, but really good resolution. Does anyone know why they failed commercially? Are they bad tablets or just overrun by Apple and Samsung marketing?
I have a Surface and it probably would suffice for what you want, but it did make me realize how much I regret selling my iPad. Don't have the pro version but I don't go near mine anymore. My housemate has the same one as me and doesn't use it either, they're pretty much useless IMO. Probably my biggest waste of money ever, but it sounds like it might work for you. Just some advice though I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

I have a Surface and it probably would suffice for what you want, but it did make me realize how much I regret selling my iPad. Don't have the pro version but I don't go near mine anymore. My housemate has the same one as me and doesn't use it either, they're pretty much useless IMO. Probably my biggest waste of money ever, but it sounds like it might work for you. Just some advice though I wouldn't spend a lot of money on it.

Why? what is wrong with it? what about the pro, or the pro 2? whats so great about the iPad?

Rule 2. Refer to rule 1.

Needs wi-fi

The full blown Surface Pro tablets aren't too bad (although those rubbery low profile keyboards s**t me a little), but I'd say the RT versions failed for the same reasons Windows 8 phones have........ there just aren't enough decent cheap/free apps.

Do you need a keyboard?

Keyboard? Not sure? I'm not a fan of screen boards.

I've been eying up the sony xperia. Looks pretty solid, I like the memory card options. I don't like restrictions, tis why Apple can * off.

Good honest review between Ipad and Sony

Last edited:
Why? what is wrong with it? what about the pro, or the pro 2? whats so great about the iPad?
I guess it all comes down to personal preference and what you use it for but the surface is pretty much a laptop without the ability to download things, what few apps they do have suck and it's as slow as a wet week. iPad is much better for me for basically the opposite reasons. It might have improved since I bought it and I can't comment on the Pro or Pro 2 as I haven't tried them but if they aren't selling then there's probably a good reason for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not sure if they interest people, but Harvey Norman are currently clearing out stock of the old Microsoft Surfaces. A workmate picked up a 128gig Pro model for about $600 yesterday, and the 32gig RT models were about $350.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back