TAC Cup Future Stars Mock(video)

Remove this Banner Ad

Very interesting to note that Shifter said that Brayshaw tests at about a 2.82sec for the 20m sprint, which is seriously quick and that he has a big tank as well, so he sounds about as rounded as you get for someone who plays on ball (given that they reckon he also gets his own ball and is as dual-sided as you get). Basically Sam Mitchell with serious speed, by the sounds of it.

summary for those who don't want to trawl through 43 minutes of Shifter using buzzwords and superlatives:

1 STK - Pat McCartin
2 BL - Christian Petracca
3 MELB - Angus Brayshaw
4 GWS - Peter Wright
5 WB - Sam Durdin
6 CARL - Paul Ahern
7 RICH - Jarrod Pickett
8 WC - Jayden Laverde
9 AC - Liam Duggan
10 GC - Caleb Marchbank
11 NM - Corey Ellis
12 COLL - Darcy Moore
13 GEEL - Kyle Langford
14 GC - Tom Lamb
15 FREO - Jake Lever
16 PA - Ed Vickers-Willis
17 HAW - Hugh Goddard
18 SYD - Isaac Heeney
19 GWS - Jordy De Goey
20 ESS - Lachie Weller

EVW and Langford are both a bit high for mine, especially if you're picking VW as a key back, way too small IMO.

top 5 is right I reckon in terms of players, not necessarily in terms of order though

summary for those who don't want to trawl through 43 minutes of Shifter using buzzwords and superlatives:

1 STK - Pat McCartin
3 MELB - Angus Brayshaw
4 GWS - Peter Wright
5 WB - Sam Durdin
6 CARL - Paul Ahern
7 RICH - Jarrod Pickett
8 WC - Jayden Laverde
9 AC - Liam Duggan
10 GC - Caleb Marchbank
11 NM - Corey Ellis
12 COLL - Darcy Moore
13 GEEL - Kyle Langford
14 GC - Tom Lamb
15 FREO - Jake Lever
17 HAW - Hugh Goddard
18 SYD - Isaac Heeney
19 GWS - Jordy De Goey
20 ESS - Lachie Weller

EVW and Langford are both a bit high for mine, especially if you're picking VW as a key back, way too small IMO.

top 5 is right I reckon in terms of players, not necessarily in terms of order though
  • Wright won't get past Melbourne. I reckon they'd prefer to draft a replacement for Mitch Clark rather than a potentially very good, but not elite, midfielder.
  • Would cry myself to sleep if we took Duggan over Marchbank. March I think will turn into a very good young KPD. Duggan I don't have a heap of faith in.
  • Pickett will probably go to West Coast. Can't see him going too much higher.
  • Even after a crap champs, Goddard will still go higher I reckon - around the 10-15 range. He's a KPP/3rd tall nonetheless who can play a role in a good team.
  • Can see Ahern going slightly lower, and Weller going slightly higher too.

Not completely sold on Ahern as a top 10er as yet. I rate him (elsewhere on here I likened him to mercuri, and mercuri was an absolute star) but I don't think he's as complete a player as others in the top 15 ish, so I reckon his draft position will reflect that a bit. I've pegged him between 10 and 18.

I also can't see Weller getting past the GC. Surely they take the Qld kid with one of their two picks

Wouldn't be surprised if GWS trade down to get someone like Marchbank, actually. They need a young KPD, and they won't want to use pick 4 on him.

Not completely sold on Ahern as a top 10er as yet. I rate him (elsewhere on here I likened him to mercuri, and mercuri was an absolute star) but I don't think he's as complete a player as others in the top 15 ish, so I reckon his draft position will reflect that a bit. I've pegged him between 10 and 18.

I also can't see Weller getting past the GC. Surely they take the Qld kid with one of their two picks
Yeah Mercuri is a good comparison, small and skilled.

Doubt GC will take the punt on Weller with their 1st. Yes, he is a Qld boy, but he just doesn't stand out as a high-impact mid to me. Can see them taking Laverde or Ellis over Weller, for example.

I can't see us taking Wright unless we trade out one of our key talls which is highly unlikely. I doubt we will use a pick for on a key defender when we need a tall midfielder and there will be one of Petracca or Brayshaw available. If picks stay as they are today I would predict -

1 STK - Pat McCartin
2.BRIS - Peter Wright
3.MELB -Christian Petracca
4.GWS -Angus Brayshaw
5 WB - Sam Durdin

For mine St Kilda and Brisbane desperately need KPF's and McCartin and Wright appear the standouts. Wright can also ruck which is important for the Lions with their man constantly out injured. Melbourne will pick the best midfielder available which appears to be Petracca on most recent forward, his explosive speed will be a big attraction for them and something they need.

I think on missing Petracca we will take the next best mid as our talls are plentiful including ruck stocks with Mumford and Lobb in for the medium to long term. That leaves us with Brayshaw who would be a good pick up and the same dimensions as O'Rourke who we are likely to trade out and the already departed Tyson. We could possibly take Durdin but I think in Haynes, Davis, Plowman, Hampton we are fairly well served in that area.

Reckon Western Bulldogs might not be in this position as they could go up a fraction would take Durdin if still on the board as a best available selection. The fact he can pinch hit forward would make him pretty attractive to them.

Would not be surprised if Wright went ahead of McCartin, actually. McCartin obviously the better prospect at the moment, but with the state the Saints are in, I reckon they could go with Wright's versatility/mass upside. Sure, they have Longer and Hickey, but Hickey is also able to go forward, and I unfortunately doubt Longer will succeed, so there could be a chance of that happening. McCartin is just what Brisbane needs - a ready-made KPF who can crash the packs, just like Browny. Just what both teams need. Then again, either team could take Petracca, the most exciting and ready-made prospect IMO. Both teams could do with another mid, especially the Saints.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No idea

1 STK - Pat McCartin
2.BRIS - Christian Petracca
3.MELB -Angus Brayshaw
4.GWS -Sam Durdin
5 WB -Wright
6.Carl-Picket

the rest are all the same to me throw a blanket over --best year in history of the draft you would give pick 5 for pickd 17-18

The Lions have a penchant for drafting talls in the first round if they are available. Wright looks like being a '2 for 1 ' player in that he likely will play good forward and ruck - can't see them passing on Wright if available.

{insert name} will NOT get passed {insert team}.

My {insert team} will not pass on {insert player} as we need {insert attributes}.

{Insert Team} will select {insert player} because they're from {insert non Victorian state}

Then come draft day the likes of Grundy slip out of the top 5... Ebert DOES not get picked by Adelaide and instead they select Dangerfield...

Yet every time someone posts a mock draft, people hate it when someone goes against the current perceived norms.

I would love to get Durdin but the problem with the scenarios posted above is that Carlton have no chance of finishing higher than us. Even if Durdin is available at pick 5, I can't see Carlton letting him pass.

Precisely, however this mock also doesn't account for the likelihood that Melbourne will lose Frawley and in turn have 2 consecutive top 5 picks. Although I'm desperately hoping that they win their home games against Brisbane and GWS and we finish with pick 4. Then we'll take whoever is left over from Petracca or Brayshaw.

1 STK - Pat McCartin
3 MELB - Angus Brayshaw
4 GWS - Peter Wright
5 WB - Sam Durdin
6 CARL - Paul Ahern
7 RICH - Jarrod Pickett
8 WC - Jayden Laverde
9 AC - Liam Duggan
10 GC - Caleb Marchbank
11 NM - Corey Ellis
12 COLL - Darcy Moore
13 GEEL - Kyle Langford
14 GC - Tom Lamb
15 FREO - Jake Lever
17 HAW - Hugh Goddard
18 SYD - Isaac Heeney
19 GWS - Jordy De Goey
20 ESS - Lachie Weller

Agreed....Langford can be very good on his day but he can also be very ordinary indeed.

For mine Laverde will not get past pick 6, De Goey won't last beyond pick 10....Other noteable absentees in that list are Jack Nelson, Clem Smith, Tyler Keitel & possibly Peter Bampton.

Ahern at 6 is way too high.

Precisely, however this mock also doesn't account for the likelihood that Melbourne will lose Frawley and in turn have 2 consecutive top 5 picks. Although I'm desperately hoping that they win their home games against Brisbane and GWS and we finish with pick 4. Then we'll take whoever is left over from Petracca or Brayshaw.

There's no way in hell Melbourne will get band 1 for Frawley. No-one will pay that kind of kanga because he's just not that good.

The AFL have said FA compo is not supposed to be equal to the players worth, just a token to give the club something when a player goes.

How is it that SA dominate the past 2 championships but the All Australian and TAC cup selectors are so VIC centric? Surely a team that plays that well is brought about by its strength of players yet the TAC selectors have 1 x SA player in their top 20. If clubs think the same there will be some bargain players available from SA later in the draft!

How is it that SA dominate the past 2 championships but the All Australian and TAC cup selectors are so VIC centric? Surely a team that plays that well is brought about by its strength of players yet the TAC selectors have 1 x SA player in their top 20. If clubs think the same there will be some bargain players available from SA later in the draft!

Team of champions v a champion team....

SA also have a lot of very good smaller players that can dominate under 18's but those abilities don't easily translate to AFL level.

Daniel, Johansen, Hone, Wigg are all examples of players that dominated the under 18's but due to their height they may struggle to transition that output to AFL level.

I am sure if all those players were 186cm+ then you would see them in the top 20.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back