TAC Cup Grand Final - Calder v Murray

Remove this Banner Ad

If you go on todays game, Calder would have to start favourites. Calder were good today, although the Knights losing Totino and Cotchin did help them. However, guys like Arrowsmith and Tsardakis really stood up in the second half, and McKernan and Putt really provided some options up forward.

Prediction: Calder by 10 points.

Have you got any more details on Tsardakis' game? Some of my friends know him and I was going to go along today to watch but couldn't. Would you say he looks like a chance to go in next year's draft?

Calder are such an even, disciplined side that play finals so well that I see them winning.

The Bushies have got some flair and will attack at all costs but have a few who can be hot and cold- so the pressure of the big stage could affect them more than the cannons. Tough ask to travel overnight and be away from home before such a big event.

Barracking for the Bushies- think Calder will win.

saw mcleod go down yesterday with a hamstring , a couple of boys competing for his spot , does anyone have any thoughts who will come in?

McLeod pulled a hamstring which you dont like to see happen to anyone.
Murray have beaten the Cannons the last 2 times they have played by about 22 goals and then 2 goals.
If Calder contain McEvoy and Rockliff they win if they let one get away like Kelly did last year I think they will get beat.
Possible Key match ups-
Daniher/Dulic V McEvoy
Robertson V Rockliff
Simpson V Trengove
Browne (if fit) V McKernan
Laidler V Saker
Putt V Thomson

The Cannons are more even while the Bushies are more individually brilliant.
Bit like Northern V Calder.
I think Considine, Armstrong and Mendico would be the obvious players to push into the 22. I also think Daniel Buckley was pretty ordinary for Calder and spent most of the last half on the bench.
In: Considine, Armstrong
Out: McLeod (inj) Buckley

Was Mendico injured or did he just make way for Melksham? I thought he was handy in the semi final.

Well, I've been tipping Murray for the flag for months now, so I don't think it would be good form to back down from that prediction.

I'd imagine they are going to control the ruck, which in turn should lead to an advantage in the middle.

I think it will come down to whether or not Calder's defence not only holds up, but provides plenty of drive forward, and their ability to apply pressure to Murray, as Murray has a couple of players who will come unstuck under close pressure.

I've learnt the hard way to not back against Calder in big games. They do all the right things and are aswell drilled as an AFL outfit. To professional and will break Murray down mentally.

McLeod pulled a hamstring which you dont like to see happen to anyone.
Murray have beaten the Cannons the last 2 times they have played by about 22 goals and then 2 goals.
If Calder contain McEvoy and Rockliff they win if they let one get away like Kelly did last year I think they will get beat.
Possible Key match ups-
Daniher/Dulic V McEvoy
Robertson V Rockliff
Simpson V Trengove
Browne (if fit) V McKernan
Laidler V Saker
Putt V Thomson

The Cannons are more even while the Bushies are more individually brilliant.
Bit like Northern V Calder.
I think Considine, Armstrong and Mendico would be the obvious players to push into the 22. I also think Daniel Buckley was pretty ordinary for Calder and spent most of the last half on the bench.
In: Considine, Armstrong
Out: McLeod (inj) Buckley

I thought saker dislocated his shoulder on Sat??? would be doing well to get up for the GF :)

I thought saker dislocated his shoulder on Sat??? would be doing well to get up for the GF :)

Thanks Gilly was not aware of that. If thats true that is a significant blow for Murray. I hope its not because you dont like to see anyone miss a Grand Final and he would be a rookie chance perhaps.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks Gilly was not aware of that. If thats true that is a significant blow for Murray. I hope its not because you dont like to see anyone miss a Grand Final and he would be a rookie chance perhaps.
Yeah, his shoulder looked bad too. Bad luck for the kid.

Well, I've been tipping Murray for the flag for months now, so I don't think it would be good form to back down from that prediction.

I'd imagine they are going to control the ruck, which in turn should lead to an advantage in the middle.

I think it will come down to whether or not Calder's defence not only holds up, but provides plenty of drive forward, and their ability to apply pressure to Murray, as Murray has a couple of players who will come unstuck under close pressure.
I have seen a bit of them this year and would love to know who will fold under pressure.I'm not sure that will happen.Thought Livingstone and Walker were good on Sat. Didn't get in best but was impressed with Walker's aggression and third and fourth efforts.Good to see from a big fella.Thought once Murray started to run game changed quickly. Full credit to Rebels for playing the game on their terms for a long time.Looking forward to Foxtel coverage on Saturday.

match ups. big loss not having saker for murray. i think white is going to get rockliff since he got veszpremi on the weekend. should be a good match up both bottom age players. german will get martinello and will beat him for my guess.i think daniher may get mcvoy as a roughie guess. otherwise it will be dulic. i honestly think that losing saker hurts a hell of a lot cos that is another tall taken away to match up on the very talanted calder forward line. i think calder will win forsure now through hard tough one on one footy that we like to see.

I have seen a bit of them this year and would love to know who will fold under pressure.I'm not sure that will happen.
Unless he has a big turnaround from the Champs, it has been seen that Normington does not deal with tight pressure and close attention all too well at the moment.

Guys like Deledio and a couple of others just might not get involved under the pressure of a Grand Final.

Calder had 15 top agers (inc 19 year olds) and 7 bottom agers in their side last week.
Murray had 16 top agers (inc 19 year olds) and 6 bottom agers in last week.

Barring the odd change, both sides are made up of a lot of older fellas. Calder are always competitive and Murray have a lot of fellas who've grown up playing senior footy. I'd expect it to be tough and physical as a result.

Murray do have many ruck options, but Calder's duo of Trengove and McKernan have proven a more than capable ruck duo in recent weeks.

I'd like to see the match ups someone else mentioned - White on Rockliff and Dulic on McEvoy, Calder probably need to get those two match ups right - the duo kicked 11 of the Bushies 16 goals last time they met.

Calder's avenues to goal are probably a little tougher to target, they tend to spread the load and different players bob up each week with 2, 3 or 4. Saker being out would hurt Murray's backline, but Calder's forward line still worries me. Daniher's the most likely one to kick a bag - for that reason I think they need him forward. Is Kite going to kick a bag of goals? Doubtful. Can Putt? Perhaps. Geez Maric would've been handy. Joyce might be able to kick a few. But they'll need their midfield to contribute. I've got a gut feeling that Laidler will be Calder's X-factor.

Murray still dont seem to have the credit they deserve? Why so? They have beaten them twice in there 11 Game winning streak. Is Saker a definate omission? If there was no damage to the joint and the medical team got in back in place in time then he might be right to play considering its the last game?

wat about number 14 from cannons against northern on saturday, especially in the 2nd half. who is he? cannons have to much depth in their side and i think will have the better of murray this time, they are due for a loss:thumbsu:

I have seen a bit of them this year and would love to know who will fold under pressure.I'm not sure that will happen.Thought Livingstone and Walker were good on Sat. Didn't get in best but was impressed with Walker's aggression and third and fourth efforts.Good to see from a big fella.Thought once Murray started to run game changed quickly. Full credit to Rebels for playing the game on their terms for a long time.Looking forward to Foxtel coverage on Saturday.

have recently moved to sydney from the goulburn/murray area. really interested to hear about young walker. looked the goods as a kid in local footy, wondering whether he has stepped it up and what you would think the likelihood of drafting would be. seems to be a few people impressed by him on here, but no real talk about his drafting prospects. cheers in advance

have recently moved to sydney from the goulburn/murray area. really interested to hear about young walker. looked the goods as a kid in local footy, wondering whether he has stepped it up and what you would think the likelihood of drafting would be. seems to be a few people impressed by him on here, but no real talk about his drafting prospects. cheers in advance

I'd take a punt on him and would expect him to still be around 4th - 5th round anyway. Athletic and good in the air, sprints well. A real lack of competitiveness and consistency are the concerns. Couldn't see him sliding past the Rookie draft as a year in the VFL could see if he can overcome these weknesses as he matures.

Interesting FM. What are your thoughts on Laidler's draft prospects?

laidler has got alot of up side, played with his brother freak was always the better of the two except he stopped growing and Jeremy didn't i think he might be a lae pick, i think he has got what it takes to play at the highest level.

what do you guys think of Aaron Kite i know a few clubs are interseted in him this yr but will be available next yr as well. has been injured for a good portion of the season

I'd take a punt on him and would expect him to still be around 4th - 5th round anyway. Athletic and good in the air, sprints well. A real lack of competitiveness and consistency are the concerns. Couldn't see him sliding past the Rookie draft as a year in the VFL could see if he can overcome these weknesses as he matures.

Yeah thanks, sounds good then. He's always been one to stand back and assess the play, his footy brain was always tops. Looks to be uninvolved, but generally manages to be where he needs to be to do what he needs to do. Thanks for that again was just really interested, had my eye on this kid from the Under 14 days.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back