Tag the tagger

Remove this Banner Ad

Seedsfan

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 10, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood
Okay I was thinking about this today but should a team try and tag the other sides tagger. Say if Collingwood were playing Freo this week would it pay to send Caff to Crowley to ensure Pendlebury is freed up? It would be something that the opposition would not expect and someone like Crowley would most likely get frustrated and give away free kicks if he copped a tag.

194trtw9lwx2hjpg.jpg

The most effective thing imo is if the person getting tagged does a run with role on against the opposition's best midfielder, if he can shut down someone in the middle and has a tagger also spectating then that puts two dead weight in the middle vs one. It should give the team getting tagged an advantage assuming the guy getting tagged can pull off a defensive role.

Then they send de boer to tag caff. Who do you send to tag de boer?
Players try and do that each week send someone to the tagger Cotchin tried to get to Pendlbury but Macaffer wouldn't let him. s**t just realized I put this thread in the wrong spot. Sorry for that. Would it be able to get moved to the AFL board? This is the problem of multi tabs.

It wouldnt work. Tagging no doubt has become one of the major elements in the game, but footy is footy. You see ball. You get ball. Not everyone on the field can spend the time chasing a man. It goes against the games instincts.

How has the afl not addressed this holding by the taggers. Happens every week. It's the only part of the game that hasn't been looked at.

If macaffer was tagging properly and not shepparding people from contests he should get 25 tackles a game. Players should still be able to get the ball.

Players try and do that each week send someone to the tagger Cotchin tried to get to Pendlbury but Macaffer wouldn't let him. s**t just realized I put this thread in the wrong spot. Sorry for that. Would it be able to get moved to the AFL board? This is the problem of multi tabs.
image009-1_zpsd20256c4.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well you could think that our midfield is better head to head but the oppositions tagger could do a better job of shutting out one of your best players so you send your sides tagger to him to stop him from blanketing one of your best players

You certainly could. But should you?

Seedsfan is actually bucks (ya know the ol wolf in sheeps clothing chestnut) he's trying to tell us through BF secret code to give BS the heads up that he's actually going to send caf to tag dal and if dal wants to double team peddles then they'll send swany to tag boomer who try a run with bally to nullify the help on wellsy leaving wittsy to run riot in the ruck because he will be the only one that's not getting tagged....

s**t we're in trouble!

Last edited:
Looks like Schwatta has already tagged the tagger!

Schwass: Kangaroos should approach umps

"North Melbourne premiership star Wayne Schwass has urged the Kangaroos to approach the AFL umpiring department with a dossier of Brent Macaffer’s negating tactics as part of a bid to help quell the Collingwood tagger on Saturday."

If Macaffer goes to Harvey or Wells then plonk them in the square with the full forward on hard leads.

This is something I'd like to see us do more, great creative with hard tagged players.

Boomer/Wells to FF or even playing as a receiver off HB would expose a lot of their taggers.

Seedsfan fwiw I can't recall when exactly but I have seen this done.

Maybe it's from one of those games we played against the 'Aints where we'd try to tag one of their midfielders and Stevie Baker would try to tag our tagger and we'd have a player trying to play on Baker, leading to four players wandering around in circles Conga Line style.

Maybe it's from one of those games we played against the 'Aints where we'd try to tag one of their midfielders and Stevie Baker would try to tag our tagger and we'd have a player trying to play on Baker, leading to four players wandering around in circles Conga Line style.

So playing right into their hands?

St Kilda like this

Remove this Banner Ad

Back