Club Focus Tasmania 2028 - The List Build

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

It's not going to happen but it would be cool if the AFL was mature enough to trade players are year in advance with Tassie. So in the 2026 trade period, you'd trade a player to Tassie but they remain with your club for 2027 before joining Tassie for 2028. It would spread the impact on the draft out over a longer period and clubs would be incentivised to make a trade earlier to get a kid in the door a year ahead (something they value).

I think it's been proven players will still give their all (look at Lobb for example) even if they plan on leaving in the following year so I dont see any difference here

Very sensible post. This would help clubs secure picks ahead of the following draft and have more time to plan their list for the future.

Tassie would benefit from having a better knowledge of who is coming across and players they need to select to build their team around the mature leaders.

Updated list following the National Draft, with 3 players added and a few removed having been delisted at the conclusion of the 2023 season.

Every current Tasmanian AFL player:
Chayce Jones (Adelaide)
Lachie Cowan (Carlton)
Jeremy Howe (Collingwood)
Brody Mihocek (Collingwood)
Jye Menzie (Essendon)
Alex Pearce (Fremantle)
Jake Kolodjashnij (Geelong)
Lachie Weller (Gold Coast)
James Leake (GWS)
Ben Brown (Melbourne)
Tarryn Thomas (North Melbourne)
Hugh Greenwood (North Melbourne)
Colby McKercher (North Melbourne)
Tom McCallum (Port Adelaide)
Samuel Banks (Richmond)
Toby Nankervis (Richmond)
Rhyan Mansell (Richmond)
Seth Campbell (Richmond)
Arie Schoenmaker (St Kilda)
Jimmy Webster (St Kilda)
Robbie Fox (Sydney)
Ryan Gardner (Western Bulldogs)
Liam Jones (Western Bulldogs)

Updated list following the National Draft, with 3 players added and a few removed having been delisted at the conclusion of the 2023 season.

Chayce Jones (Adelaide)
Lachie Cowan (Carlton)
Jye Menzie (Essendon)
Alex Pearce (Fremantle)
James Leake (GWS)
Ben Brown (Melbourne)
Samuel Banks (Richmond)
Rhyan Mansell (Richmond)
Seth Campbell (Richmond)
Jimmy Webster (St Kilda)
Robbie Fox (Sydney)

Pretty slim pickings there, 23 players, maybe half would be considered automatic selections for their current club. Not sure there’s a top 50 player in the league in that group

Chayce Jones (Adelaide)
Lachie Cowan (Carlton)
Jye Menzie (Essendon)
Alex Pearce (Fremantle)
James Leake (GWS)
Ben Brown (Melbourne)
Samuel Banks (Richmond)
Rhyan Mansell (Richmond)
Seth Campbell (Richmond)
Jimmy Webster (St Kilda)
Robbie Fox (Sydney)

Sanders

The AFL has said their start up concessions won't be as generous as what GWS and Gold Coast got (they won't take half of the first round picks in their first couple of years of entering the draft for example, but rather a wider and more immediate access to state league type players)

The line of thinking is they want Tassie to be competitive somewhat from day 1 and not just smashed weekly by 100 points plus like the Giants and Suns in their first couple of years.

First year give them picks 3 and 12 along with the first pick of every round after that.

Then second year they get 19 and 30 on top of their 'earned picks'.

For their first two offseasons let any uncontacted player be considered as unrestricted in regards to signing with Tassie.

Personally, I'd rather see an expansion draft. Teams sign off on 25 untouchable players on their list, and Tassie can draft from the rest, no more than one per club.

Then, all uncontracted players can be signed as unrestricted free agents - again, no more than one per club.

Unlimited ability to pre-list from the state leagues for the year before they begin and for their first year.

Pick 11 and 20 the year before they start fielding a reserves side, then 11 and 20 for their first two years as additional picks. Unrestricted ability to pre-list from Tasmania for those three years.

Tasmanian born players become unrestricted free agents whenever they roll out of contract in the club's first three years.

Personally, I'd rather see an expansion draft. Teams sign off on 25 untouchable players on their list, and Tassie can draft from the rest, no more than one per club.

Then, all uncontracted players can be signed as unrestricted free agents - again, no more than one per club.

Unlimited ability to pre-list from the state leagues for the year before they begin and for their first year.

Pick 11 and 20 the year before they start fielding a reserves side, then 11 and 20 for their first two years as additional picks. Unrestricted ability to pre-list from Tasmania for those three years.

Tasmanian born players become unrestricted free agents whenever they roll out of contract in the club's first three years.
Nobody will draft Tasmanians

Brendan Bolton should be instilled as the inaugural coach, give him a 10 year contract to build a list, ideally with as many Tassie locals as possible.
I'm for this, maybe not the 10 years but he's a good coach and will be better the second time around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if serious
100% serious, is the ideal candidate, passionate Tasmanian and did all the grunt work putting Carlton’s list back together after Malthouse destroyed it., has then gone on to be a key part of Collingwoods success.

The 10 years is extreme, but if you appoint him now to oversee the VFL program and will only be 5 years at AFL, any inaugural coach will want at least that.

Seen it re-posted a few times here but Danger's idea of Tassie being able to take contracted players is super dumb. The fact he suggested it makes him seen super dumb. Clubs have signed legal agreements with players. The AFL can't come in and supersede them, essentially making those contracts void just because they want to set-up a Tassie team. The clubs would take them to court as they should. Contracted players won't be available outside trade. Can strike that option off.

Any idea that involves clubs sending a certain number of players to Tassie is also a no go. The ALFPA would never allow it. The only players that will play for Tassie will be those that want to play for Tassie. Some might be nudged that way if decent trade compensation is offered but it will be 100% their choice.

I actually don't see a problem with the way the Suns and GWS were set-up. Giving them a load of early draft picks is the only way to provide the influx of talent they need.

One criticism of this approach is you need mature players to set the club up for success. GWS got to finals pretty quickly and actually went down a younger route then the Suns. GWS targeted players that were young enough to rise with the club and supplemented those with vets. Goldcoast went for guys in their prime which you would think would be better, but they were past it by the time their early draftees had matured. The suns failures also come down to more than just list management.

Yes, both sides were smashed but if you are realistic, I don't think that's avoidable whatever you do. Tassie will get smashed for at least 2 years. It's what happens after that, that matters.

The other criticism is giving up a load of draft early picks will hurt rebuilding clubs. If you look at who was at the bottom in the last compromised drafts that wasn't really true. Westcoast, Richmond, Essendon were bottom 3 in 2010. In 2011 Brisbane, Port and Adelaide were the bottom sides (excluding the Goldcoast). All bounced back pretty quick aside from Brisbane who have now come good. Yes, it'll suck getting pick 4 not pick 1 if you finish last in 2027, but history shows it's not going to make a huge difference. And in this case, it'll only be for one year not 2.

In summary I would set-up Tassie very similar to the other new clubs.
  • A bunch of early draft picks in 2027 (1,2,3,5,7,9,11,13,15)
  • Free access to any state league players in 2027
  • Access to some bottom agers in 2026 (maybe not 12 again, let's say 6-8)
  • Exclusive access to Tasmanian players from 2026-2030 (including anyone playing for Tassie in the VFL and NAB League). No bid matching required.
  • A VFL team in 2026 made up of bottom agers, tassie zone players and VFL players
  • Ability to sign any uncontracted players as a free agent (don't need to be RFA or UFA), with normal compensation formula to apply.
  • Can trade away any of their picks if they want a contracted player or keep them if they don't (I don't like the idea forcing them to trade picks. Will just result in them being forced to trade top picks for unders)
  • Additional space in the soft cap. They don't need extra salary cap space. The balance of their list means they will already be able to offer any players they want to poach a fortune.

In terms of players, they should target. I would go down the GWS approach and focus the big offers on young stars between 20-24, guys that will still be in their prime when their draft picks mature but can contribute in the meantime. Any top tassie talent contracted or not should also be targeted heavily. I would then grab some guys between 29-32, guys that have been guns but are no longer key players for their clubs and down to minimal contract offers. They can provide leadership and development to the young group. Think Luke Power and Chad Cornes. I would then supplement these guys with some top mature agers from the state leagues.

Obviously, this just covers list management. There is a lot more outside list management that Tassie can do to set itself up for success.

100% serious, is the ideal candidate, passionate Tasmanian and did all the grunt work putting Carlton’s list back together after Malthouse destroyed it., has then gone on to be a key part of Collingwoods success.

The 10 years is extreme, but if you appoint him now to oversee the VFL program and will only be 5 years at AFL, any inaugural coach will want at least that.

I also think Bolton would be great. Good teaching coach so would do well with a young list. Plus is Tasmanian. I wouldn't go this early but you could sign him up 2 years before they enter the comp to help with the list build and coach a VFL team in 2026. Probably won't be the guy leading them to a flag but would be great as an inaugural coach. Give him 5 years, 2 years before they enter the comp, 3 years after and can re-evaluate at that stage whether he is still the right man.

Seen it re-posted a few times here but Danger's idea of Tassie being able to take contracted players is super dumb. The fact he suggested it makes him seen super dumb. Clubs have signed legal agreements with players. The AFL can't come in and supersede them, essentially making those contracts void just because they want to set-up a Tassie team. The clubs would take them to court as they should. Contracted players won't be available outside trade. Can strike that option off.

It's not as simple as that.

From the CBA:

PLAYER’S CONTRACT
All contracts for the playing of Australian Football entered into between a Player, an AFL Club and the AFL shall be in the form of the Standard Playing Contract.

The AFL is a party to that contract and, without reading it, I imagine that's so they have overarching power to make decisions that are in the best interest of the entire league. Their power would supercede an individual club's.

That's how I understand it, at least - I'm sure they'll have legal authority to do what they want, but they'll make sure they have consensus from clubs before doing anything. That happened with all other expansions.

Any idea that involves clubs sending a certain number of players to Tassie is also a no go. The ALFPA would never allow it. The only players that will play for Tassie will be those that want to play for Tassie. Some might be nudged that way if decent trade compensation is offered but it will be 100% their choice.

I actually don't see a problem with the way the Suns and GWS were set-up. Giving them a load of early draft picks is the only way to provide the influx of talent they need.

One criticism of this approach is you need mature players to set the club up for success. GWS got to finals pretty quickly and actually went down a younger route then the Suns. GWS targeted players that were young enough to rise with the club and supplemented those with vets. Goldcoast went for guys in their prime which you would think would be better, but they were past it by the time their early draftees had matured. The suns failures also come down to more than just list management.

Yes, both sides were smashed but if you are realistic, I don't think that's avoidable whatever you do. Tassie will get smashed for at least 2 years. It's what happens after that, that matters.

The other criticism is giving up a load of draft early picks will hurt rebuilding clubs. If you look at who was at the bottom in the last compromised drafts that wasn't really true. Westcoast, Richmond, Essendon were bottom 3 in 2010. In 2011 Brisbane, Port and Adelaide were the bottom sides (excluding the Goldcoast). All bounced back pretty quick aside from Brisbane who have now come good. Yes, it'll suck getting pick 4 not pick 1 if you finish last in 2027, but history shows it's not going to make a huge difference. And in this case, it'll only be for one year not 2.

• Exclusive access to Tasmanian players from 2026-2030 (including anyone playing for Tassie in the VFL and NAB League). No bid matching required.
  • A VFL team in 2026 made up of bottom agers, tassie zone players and VFL players
  • Ability to sign any uncontracted players as a free agent (don't need to be RFA or UFA), with normal compensation formula to apply.
  • Can trade away any of their picks if they want a contracted player or keep them if they don't (I don't like the idea forcing them to trade picks. Will just result in them being forced to trade top picks for unders)
  • Additional space in the soft cap. They don't need extra salary cap space. The balance of their list means they will already be able to offer any players they want to poach a fortune.

In terms of players, they should target. I would go down the GWS approach and focus the big offers on young stars between 20-24, guys that will still be in their prime when their draft picks mature but can contribute in the meantime. Any top tassie talent contracted or not should also be targeted heavily. I would then grab some guys between 29-32, guys that have been guns but are no longer key players for their clubs and down to minimal contract offers. They can provide leadership and development to the young group. Think Luke Power and Chad Cornes. I would then supplement these guys with some top mature agers from the state leagues.

Obviously, this just covers list management. There is a lot more outside list management that Tassie can do to set itself up for success.
Clubs and the AFL will never take anything like this to court, the entire draft/trade/salary cap system if challenged would be considered a restraint of trade but the AFL and the AFLPA understand it’s a partnership for the good of the game. In saying this the whole clubs releasing players is a fast track to the disaster that was the Brisbane Bears, win over paid C Graders cashing in whilst doing nothing to build a club culture of success.

Tassie should be forming their own academy and start building and identifying and developing talent asap, make sure they are ready to hit the ground running with as many locals as possible.

Allow the team to enter the draft 2 years before they enter the AFL that way the first lot of draft picks have been in the system playing VFL footy for 40 games before they start playing AFL, and will have 3 drafts before its first season.

5 x first round picks for first 5 years, 2 of which must be traded.

Father son access to any player from Tasmania ie Mitch Robinson, Jack Riewoldt.

Learn from GWS and spread the salary cap over its first decade so that its draft picks are not paid massive overs and then they are unable to hold onto the picks when they come out of contract.

Clubs and the AFL will never take anything like this to court, the entire draft/trade/salary cap system if challenged would be considered a restraint of trade but the AFL and the AFLPA understand it’s a partnership for the good of the game. In saying this the whole clubs releasing players is a fast track to the disaster that was the Brisbane Bears, win over paid C Graders cashing in whilst doing nothing to build a club culture of success.

Tassie should be forming their own academy and start building and identifying and developing talent asap, make sure they are ready to hit the ground running with as many locals as possible.

Allow the team to enter the draft 2 years before they enter the AFL that way the first lot of draft picks have been in the system playing VFL footy for 40 games before they start playing AFL, and will have 3 drafts before its first season.

5 x first round picks for first 5 years, 2 of which must be traded.

Father son access to any player from Tasmania ie Mitch Robinson, Jack Riewoldt.

Learn from GWS and spread the salary cap over its first decade so that its draft picks are not paid massive overs and then they are unable to hold onto the picks when they come out of contract.

Whilst I think Dangerfield’s idea is poorly thought out, I also think the pool of uncontracted players won’t be nearly enough to get Tasmania enough AFL-listed talent onto their list in 2028. Free agency only makes it worse - probably half the players recruited by Gold Coast and GWS would’ve been eligible for Free Agency. If what’s in place for contracted players only allows for C Graders to be recruited by Tasmania it’s pointless.

The North Melbourne assistance packages have included picks that needed to be traded for players, which might work to a degree but might not be enough.

I’m very interested in what the AFL come up with. If they want Tasmania to be relatively competitive from day one they’ll need to have them recruit significantly more AFL-listed players than Gold Coast and GWS did - and probably most of the best 5-6 state league players too.

I also think the 2026 Draft is essential for the set up of Tasmania. It should be used to add 3-4 18 year olds in the draft (preferably mid-late first round) and a number of mature agers to the list for both the 2027 VFL season and 2028 AFL season. DFA from 2026 probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

To ensure the most of best mature agers in the state leagues end up on Tasmania’s list serious concessions in, maybe even cancellation of, the 2027 Mid Season Draft will be needed.

Didn’t like the amount of 18 year olds that Gold Coast and GWS started with. It’s best for the competition if they’re set up to be semi-competitive and have more concessions in 2028 and 2029 than to be smashed by 100+ points a number of times like Gold Coast and GWS were.

Anyway the NBL, NRL and A-League all have had semi-competitive teams start in the last 15 years. The AFL has had two totally non-competitive teams. The draft makes it a challenge but I’m interested to see how the AFL tries to make Tasmania semi-competitive. What they did with Gold Coast and GWS clearly encouraged being sh**e for 2-3 years to in theory being amazing in 6-7 years - I’m convinced that’s not what they want this time.

If it’s similar to the GWS and GC draft concessions, the first pick of the second round in 2027 will be close to pick 50!

For me I’d be looking at giving them say pick 1,3,5 then a couple of picks after the non finals sides then a couple of picks at the end of the first round. Maybe then PP at 11 and 19 for the next two seasons.

You could also look at giving them less picks but salary cap concessions. Allow them say an extra $3mil first season, $2mil second and $1mil in their third year then allow them to sign any out of contract player they want for three seasons with the AFL giving FA compo. This way it spreads the pain over the whole competition more evenly and possibly over a longer time making it less severe.
The problem is the only players wanting to go there at the start are going to be motivated by opportunity (players with limited ability) or money. Extra money is the only way we will see them be competitive quickly.

I also think Bolton would be great. Good teaching coach so would do well with a young list. Plus is Tasmanian. I wouldn't go this early but you could sign him up 2 years before they enter the comp to help with the list build and coach a VFL team in 2026. Probably won't be the guy leading them to a flag but would be great as an inaugural coach. Give him 5 years, 2 years before they enter the comp, 3 years after and can re-evaluate at that stage whether he is still the right man.
I agree with you about Bolton.
IMO he never got a fair crack at it at Carlton.
Wouldn't surprise me if he hasn't already been earmarked for the role. I'd be even more surprised if he isn't involved with the club in some capacity.

It wouldnt be players being sent against their will that wont happen. It would be players under contract (who want to move for more money or gametime) moving to tassie and the afl ensuring the current clubs are compensated. The afl will want as many decent players moving there so they will make it work.

For eg you could make it only contracted players over a certain age, you could say they can only move if they are going to a higher pay band. You could allow the current club a last right to match offer (like occurs with FAs) and you could treat contracted players as FAs except handing out extra compo picks over and above the normal FA compo (afl have done this before i wouldnt put it past them). If it comes in it will definitely only be with the players consent and would be a limit of one or two contracted players per club (to protect clubs against widespread raids).

I think you give them every second/third pick in the top 20 in their first year but they have to trade the majority of them for ready made talent and then academy plus extra like GWS.

Like when Freo/Port/Crows started they were ready to go. Crows beat the Hawks on their first game and Hawks went on to win the flag.

A certain D Jarman was booed all night soon the be a Crows favourite son.

It wouldnt be players being sent against their will that wont happen. It would be players under contract (who want to move for more money or gametime) moving to tassie and the afl ensuring the current clubs are compensated. The afl will want as many decent players moving there so they will make it work.

For eg you could make it only contracted players over a certain age, you could say they can only move if they are going to a higher pay band. You could allow the current club a last right to match offer (like occurs with FAs) and you could treat contracted players as FAs except handing out extra compo picks over and above the normal FA compo (afl have done this before i wouldnt put it past them). If it comes in it will definitely only be with the players consent and would be a limit of one or two contracted players per club (to protect clubs against widespread raids).

This is pretty much the additional mechanism that I was thinking of for contracted players tbh. Thought it might be a bit much for some people but now someone else has said I’ll come out of the woodwork.

It’d allow for a massive amount of AFL-listed players Tasmania could recruit in theory but tbh I think it’s going to be really difficult for them to get players down there.

You’d probably want at least 14-16 good AFL players (the sort that’d play 22 games if fit all season) on their list ideally. Them having another 10 or so mature aged players (either lesser AFL players or state league players) would probably be required for them to be competitive, assuming that some of the 18 year olds and/or Tasmanian local talents are pretty much ready to go.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back