Club Focus Tasmania 2028 - The List Build

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

They shouldn't get to pre select bottom agers in 2026 then receive a bucket load of picks in 2027 draft. Thats too much. Those bottom age players if in an open draft are most likely top 10 picks. They'll end up with the best 15 kids in the country. Give them no more than 5 1st rounders.

This is pretty much the additional mechanism that I was thinking of for contracted players tbh. Thought it might be a bit much for some people but now someone else has said I’ll come out of the woodwork.

It’d allow for a massive amount of AFL-listed players Tasmania could recruit in theory but tbh I think it’s going to be really difficult for them to get players down there.

You’d probably want at least 14-16 good AFL players (the sort that’d play 22 games if fit all season) on their list ideally. Them having another 10 or so mature aged players (either lesser AFL players or state league players) would probably be required for them to be competitive, assuming that some of the 18 year olds and/or Tasmanian local talents are pretty much ready to go.

Yep same here. The state league bit is easy you let them prelist stae leaguers plus give them additional rookie slots like gws and gc got.

I agree they will want tassie competitive and for 26-28 there isnt a great deal of quality in the normal FA pools that would likely go there so i think they will loosen the rules around contracted player trades to ensure tas can get enough quality. The key will be to create enough compensation for the current clubs (most likely via extra compo picks but could also be cap dispensation or other mechanisms) to get them to agree.

Yep same here. The state league bit is easy you let them prelist stae leaguers plus give them additional rookie slots like gws and gc got.

I agree they will want tassie competitive and for 26-28 there isnt a great deal of quality in the normal FA pools that would likely go there so i think they will loosen the rules around contracted player trades to ensure tas can get enough quality. The key will be to create enough compensation for the current clubs (most likely via extra compo picks but could also be cap dispensation or other mechanisms) to get them to agree.

In theory a lot of the best mature agers can go in the Mid Season Draft each year. The event either needs to be canceled in 2027 or Tasmania get a number of picks prior to anyone else selecting.

They shouldn't get to pre select bottom agers in 2026 then receive a bucket load of picks in 2027 draft. Thats too much. Those bottom age players if in an open draft are most likely top 10 picks. They'll end up with the best 15 kids in the country. Give them no more than 5 1st rounders.
History says otherwise, Jesse Hogan, Jack Martin, Tom Bugg, Sam Darley were going t9 be the next Wayne Carey and Chris Judd when they were taken as underage selections.

More than talent it’s about creating the right environment for young talent to thrive, it’s no surprise that GWS thrived because they had a core leadership group of Phil Davis & Callan Ward, both young natural leaders who could relate and grow with the group.. instead GC went with GAJ who had other priorities in his life.

Seen it re-posted a few times here but Danger's idea of Tassie being able to take contracted players is super dumb. The fact he suggested it makes him seen super dumb. Clubs have signed legal agreements with players. The AFL can't come in and supersede them, essentially making those contracts void just because they want to set-up a Tassie team. The clubs would take them to court as they should. Contracted players won't be available outside trade. Can strike that option off.

Any idea that involves clubs sending a certain number of players to Tassie is also a no go. The ALFPA would never allow it. The only players that will play for Tassie will be those that want to play for Tassie. Some might be nudged that way if decent trade compensation is offered but it will be 100% their choice.

I actually don't see a problem with the way the Suns and GWS were set-up. Giving them a load of early draft picks is the only way to provide the influx of talent they need.

One criticism of this approach is you need mature players to set the club up for success. GWS got to finals pretty quickly and actually went down a younger route then the Suns. GWS targeted players that were young enough to rise with the club and supplemented those with vets. Goldcoast went for guys in their prime which you would think would be better, but they were past it by the time their early draftees had matured. The suns failures also come down to more than just list management.

Yes, both sides were smashed but if you are realistic, I don't think that's avoidable whatever you do. Tassie will get smashed for at least 2 years. It's what happens after that, that matters.

The other criticism is giving up a load of draft early picks will hurt rebuilding clubs. If you look at who was at the bottom in the last compromised drafts that wasn't really true. Westcoast, Richmond, Essendon were bottom 3 in 2010. In 2011 Brisbane, Port and Adelaide were the bottom sides (excluding the Goldcoast). All bounced back pretty quick aside from Brisbane who have now come good. Yes, it'll suck getting pick 4 not pick 1 if you finish last in 2027, but history shows it's not going to make a huge difference. And in this case, it'll only be for one year not 2.

In summary I would set-up Tassie very similar to the other new clubs.
  • A bunch of early draft picks in 2027 (1,2,3,5,7,9,11,13,15)
  • Free access to any state league players in 2027
  • Access to some bottom agers in 2026 (maybe not 12 again, let's say 6-8)
  • Exclusive access to Tasmanian players from 2026-2030 (including anyone playing for Tassie in the VFL and NAB League). No bid matching required.
  • A VFL team in 2026 made up of bottom agers, tassie zone players and VFL players
  • Ability to sign any uncontracted players as a free agent (don't need to be RFA or UFA), with normal compensation formula to apply.
  • Can trade away any of their picks if they want a contracted player or keep them if they don't (I don't like the idea forcing them to trade picks. Will just result in them being forced to trade top picks for unders)
  • Additional space in the soft cap. They don't need extra salary cap space. The balance of their list means they will already be able to offer any players they want to poach a fortune.

In terms of players, they should target. I would go down the GWS approach and focus the big offers on young stars between 20-24, guys that will still be in their prime when their draft picks mature but can contribute in the meantime. Any top tassie talent contracted or not should also be targeted heavily. I would then grab some guys between 29-32, guys that have been guns but are no longer key players for their clubs and down to minimal contract offers. They can provide leadership and development to the young group. Think Luke Power and Chad Cornes. I would then supplement these guys with some top mature agers from the state leagues.

Obviously, this just covers list management. There is a lot more outside list management that Tassie can do to set itself up for success.

Clubs and the AFL will never take anything like this to court, the entire draft/trade/salary cap system if challenged would be considered a restraint of trade but the AFL and the AFLPA understand it’s a partnership for the good of the game. In saying this the whole clubs releasing players is a fast track to the disaster that was the Brisbane Bears, win over paid C Graders cashing in whilst doing nothing to build a club culture of success.

Tassie should be forming their own academy and start building and identifying and developing talent asap, make sure they are ready to hit the ground running with as many locals as possible.

Allow the team to enter the draft 2 years before they enter the AFL that way the first lot of draft picks have been in the system playing VFL footy for 40 games before they start playing AFL, and will have 3 drafts before its first season.

5 x first round picks for first 5 years, 2 of which must be traded.

Father son access to any player from Tasmania ie Mitch Robinson, Jack Riewoldt.

Learn from GWS and spread the salary cap over its first decade so that its draft picks are not paid massive overs and then they are unable to hold onto the picks when they come out of contract.

Whilst I think Dangerfield’s idea is poorly thought out, I also think the pool of uncontracted players won’t be nearly enough to get Tasmania enough AFL-listed talent onto their list in 2028. Free agency only makes it worse - probably half the players recruited by Gold Coast and GWS would’ve been eligible for Free Agency. If what’s in place for contracted players only allows for C Graders to be recruited by Tasmania it’s pointless.

The North Melbourne assistance packages have included picks that needed to be traded for players, which might work to a degree but might not be enough.

I’m very interested in what the AFL come up with. If they want Tasmania to be relatively competitive from day one they’ll need to have them recruit significantly more AFL-listed players than Gold Coast and GWS did - and probably most of the best 5-6 state league players too.

I also think the 2026 Draft is essential for the set up of Tasmania. It should be used to add 3-4 18 year olds in the draft (preferably mid-late first round) and a number of mature agers to the list for both the 2027 VFL season and 2028 AFL season. DFA from 2026 probably wouldn’t be a bad idea either.

To ensure the most of best mature agers in the state leagues end up on Tasmania’s list serious concessions in, maybe even cancellation of, the 2027 Mid Season Draft will be needed.

Didn’t like the amount of 18 year olds that Gold Coast and GWS started with. It’s best for the competition if they’re set up to be semi-competitive and have more concessions in 2028 and 2029 than to be smashed by 100+ points a number of times like Gold Coast and GWS were.

Anyway the NBL, NRL and A-League all have had semi-competitive teams start in the last 15 years. The AFL has had two totally non-competitive teams. The draft makes it a challenge but I’m interested to see how the AFL tries to make Tasmania semi-competitive. What they did with Gold Coast and GWS clearly encouraged being sh**e for 2-3 years to in theory being amazing in 6-7 years - I’m convinced that’s not what they want this time.
Player contracts are co-signed between the AFL and the club as the employer, so I suppose the AFL can also agree to void the contract if they want to, though perhaps not unilaterally.

There’s also a vast difference between allowing a contracted player to leave and forcing them to leave. The player still has the choice whether to accept the contract that is being offered by Tassie

Depending on whether it is converted to restricted or unrestricted free agency, the existing club would have the right to match the offer.

In either case the club would also receive compensation (if the player is worth at least Band 5).

I think it would be okay actually, as long as it’s limited somehow so that no one club is losing out too much, and so that recent draftees aren’t being poached (so maybe also an age limit).

There are other recent examples of how the AFL has dealt with expansions in the AFLW. They’ve had so much expansion that they’ve tried different ways of doing it and hopefully learned something from that. One of the big factors to AFLW expansion was the max 1-season contracts though, and a signing period so that players couldn’t be retained or re-signed too early. Effectively they were all out of contract every year, which makes it easy to say they can be pre-signed by new teams.

Another option is to give Tassie a set of provisional picks that are trade them or lose them, in addition to a set of their own picks that they can choose to trade or take to the draft. If they did that the additional trade-only picks could be inserted as every second pick after pick 10.

History says otherwise, Jesse Hogan, Jack Martin, Tom Bugg, Sam Darley were going t9 be the next Wayne Carey and Chris Judd when they were taken as underage selections.

More than talent it’s about creating the right environment for young talent to thrive, it’s no surprise that GWS thrived because they had a core leadership group of Phil Davis & Callan Ward, both young natural leaders who could relate and grow with the group.. instead GC went with GAJ who had other priorities in his life.

Gold Coast and GWS got twelve which imo was far too many.

We saw a few success stories which were mostly the guys projected to go top ten anyway but some were probably 3rd/4th round picks a year later - I think GWS actually didn’t bother listing one or two of them at all.

I would be happy with Tasmania getting the cream (i.e. 2-3 of them), otherwise I don’t think it’s quite worth it tbh.

Personally I think Tasmania should have around 10-12 players signed up by the start of the 2027 season (not including locals). They should be a mix of draftees from the 2026 Draft, mature agers, DFAs and perhaps only 2-3 17 year olds.

Last edited:
Reality is that Tasmania will have a hard time keeping players, and need learn from Port, Freo, Suns and Giants experience.

Fremantle and Port had the same recruiting rules.

Fremantle went with a lot of mature aged players from the WAFL. First year with a radical game plan come up with a 7-15 record but because the lack of quality youth the Dockers never improved until Pavlich came to the club.

Port had more time to construct a list and already had established club. Most of their recruits were between 17-25. Fremantle went with more mature recruits and pay the cost. Also, some of the uncontracted players had injury concerns.

The Suns had 3 years of recruiting before they entered the competition. They made some Godfather offers to Ablett, Brown, Brennan, Fraser, and Bock. That group was between 26-28, lack leadership and only there for the money. Therefore, culture wasn't great and had salary cap issues down the track.

Giants went with young uncontracted players. Ward and Davis were successful, but Palmer wasn't the same gut runner due to injuries and Scully was there because of the money and getting a job for his dad. They recruited Power, Cornes and Brogan to provide leadership but they were at the end of their careers. Giants struggled with the aim to get high draft picks but it brought in players with tickets on themselves. They went too young.

In the NBL the Jackjumpers has really embraced the chip shoulder, workman like, and against the odds team culture. They recruited players had something to prove and the FU attitude.

Tasmania needs to:
1. Uncontract signings must have leaderships skills, no injury history, and between 21-23.
2. Get as many Tasmanians into the squad. Need to have access to the 2026,2027 Tasmania zone.
3. Don't recruit mummy boys from Melbourne and recruit players with a chip.
4. Get as many mature age recruits as possible between 19 to 24.
5. Look at Ireland.
6. I would recruit players who can handle the cold. South West WA, and Gippsland should be a priority.

This will be a difficult list build and Tasmania needs multiple drafts to build a list.

List Rules
Tasmania Zone Access 2026 to 2031. Reverts to Academy bidding.
2027 Non-Drafted Mature age or delisted players and no mid season draft
2028 - 2031 Access to mature aged players and Tasmania can sign any mature age player.
2027- 2031 Access to Ireland
2027-2029 Free access to uncontracted players
2027 Draft picks 1,3,5, 22, 40, 56
2028-2031 End of first round Priority picks

Give them 2 extra picks (1st and 2nd rounder) in their first two years.

Let them sign restricted free agents as unrestricted for two years as well.
So you expect them to build a competitive list with 4 players and a few free agents.

So you expect them to build a competitive list with 4 players and a few free agents.

On top of having the first pick of each round.

I would actually adjust it to say they can sign any uncontacted player regardless of years played.

So basically.

First year (and likely second year) they get picks 1, 2, 19 and 20 and their pick of uncontacted players who are willing to sign with them.

On top of having the first pick of each round.

I would actually adjust it to say they can sign any uncontacted player regardless of years played.

So basically.

First year (and likely second year) they get picks 1, 2, 19 and 20 and their pick of uncontacted players who are willing to sign with them.
I dont mind the pseudo FA comp for any uncontracted player vs. Giving them a bunch of picks to try and trade.

Id give them access from 2026 as well.
E.g they like wardlaw as their million dollar man
They sign, north can nominate for a comp pick in 26, 27 or 28
Wardlaw stays for 2 more years before starting with tassie in 28.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think no matter what they do, it will be hard to be competitive in 2028 and 2029 ( unless the draft age has risen to 20 by them, which certainly won't happen).

One player from every club, with ages. Aim is to create a balanced list that can compete immediately. I’ve disregarded unviable options like Ollie Henry moving out of Geelong or GWS letting Tom Green go. No regard for the salary cap.

Adelaide: Riley Thilthorpe (25)
Brisbane: Darcy Wilmot (24)
Carlton: Tom de Koning (28)
Collingwood: Beau McReery (26)
Essendon: Jye Menzie (25)
Fremantle: Caleb Serong (27)
Geelong: Connor O’Sullivan (22)
Gold Coast: Ben King (27)
GWS: James Leake (22)
Hawthorn: Jack Ginnivan (25)
Melbourne: Jacob van Rooyen (24)
North Melbourne: Colby McKercher (22)
Port Adelaide: Lachie Jones (25)
Richmond: Noah Balta (28)
St Kilda: Mattaes Philippou (23)
Sydney: Nick Blakey (28)
West Coast: Rhett Bazzo (24)
Western Bulldogs: Ryley Sanders (22)

Median age of 25 not bad.
Key backs: 4 (Bazzo, Balta, Leake, O’Sullivan)
Half backs: 3 (Blakey, Jones, Wilmot)
Mids: 4 (Sanders, Philippou, McKercher, Serong)
Rucks/backups: 3 (TDK, Thiltorpe, van Rooyen)
Key forwards: 3 (van Rooyen, King, Thilthorpe)
Small forwards: 3 (Ginnivan, Menzie, McReery)
Wingers: 0 but perhaps McKercher or Wilmot could do that?)

Last edited:
Reality is that Tasmania will have a hard time keeping players, and need learn from Port, Freo, Suns and Giants experience.

Fremantle and Port had the same recruiting rules.

Fremantle went with a lot of mature aged players from the WAFL. First year with a radical game plan come up with a 7-15 record but because the lack of quality youth the Dockers never improved until Pavlich came to the club.

Port had more time to construct a list and already had established club. Most of their recruits were between 17-25. Fremantle went with more mature recruits and pay the cost. Also, some of the uncontracted players had injury concerns.

The Suns had 3 years of recruiting before they entered the competition. They made some Godfather offers to Ablett, Brown, Brennan, Fraser, and Bock. That group was between 26-28, lack leadership and only there for the money. Therefore, culture wasn't great and had salary cap issues down the track.

Giants went with young uncontracted players. Ward and Davis were successful, but Palmer wasn't the same gut runner due to injuries and Scully was there because of the money and getting a job for his dad. They recruited Power, Cornes and Brogan to provide leadership but they were at the end of their careers. Giants struggled with the aim to get high draft picks but it brought in players with tickets on themselves. They went too young.

In the NBL the Jackjumpers has really embraced the chip shoulder, workman like, and against the odds team culture. They recruited players had something to prove and the FU attitude.

Tasmania needs to:
1. Uncontract signings must have leaderships skills, no injury history, and between 21-23.
2. Get as many Tasmanians into the squad. Need to have access to the 2026,2027 Tasmania zone.
3. Don't recruit mummy boys from Melbourne and recruit players with a chip.
4. Get as many mature age recruits as possible between 19 to 24.
5. Look at Ireland.
6. I would recruit players who can handle the cold. South West WA, and Gippsland should be a priority.

This will be a difficult list build and Tasmania needs multiple drafts to build a list.

List Rules
Tasmania Zone Access 2026 to 2031. Reverts to Academy bidding.
2027 Non-Drafted Mature age or delisted players and no mid season draft
2028 - 2031 Access to mature aged players and Tasmania can sign any mature age player.
2027- 2031 Access to Ireland
2027-2029 Free access to uncontracted players
2027 Draft picks 1,3,5, 22, 40, 56
2028-2031 End of first round Priority picks

Southwest WA is not cold.The boys would freeze to death.Southwest WA is fricken hot in the summer,only a couple degrees cooler than Perth.

Southwest WA is not cold.The boys would freeze to death.Southwest WA is fricken hot in the summer,only a couple degrees cooler than Perth.
I'd be looking at Vic country lads. Particularly western Victoria.

One player from every club, with ages. Aim is to create a balanced list that can compete immediately. I’ve disregarded unviable options like Ollie Henry moving out of Geelong or GWS letting Tom Green go. No regard for the salary cap.

I doubt many clubs will be happy with this.
I think the GWS model wasn't ideal, but to make them reasonably competive in first 2 years is hard.
I think most important is to not give too many high picks to begin with, ideally Tassie has no more than 5 first Years playing in 2028, no more than 8 1st/ 2nd year players on 2029.
If GWS had 3 of Chad Cornes in 2012/13, they would have been alot more competitive.

Half of those players wont want to move to tassie though. Thilthorpe (will stay in SA) tdk (will stay at carlton) king (will gc or a big vic club) and serong (happy at freo) are classic examples of this.

I'd be looking at Vic country lads. Particularly western Victoria.

Id be looking at geelong falcons and gippsland (moe morwell wonthaggi warragul wonthaggi etc) kids if i was tassie.

Id be looking at geelong falcons and gippsland (moe morwell wonthaggi warragul wonthaggi etc) kids if i was tassie.
Yeah anyone Vic country. Possibly bid on giants academy kids from southern NSW.
They usually posses the type of characteristics you'd want. They haven't been bought up in the bubble of the inner city.

An expansion draft would ensure Tasmania are competitive from day 1.

There would no need to compromise the national draft for one season, let alone multiple. You could potentially not even have Tasmania in the national draft until after their first season.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back