Club Focus Tasmania 2028 - The List Build

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

An expansion draft would ensure Tasmania are competitive from day 1.

There would no need to compromise the national draft for one season, let alone multiple. You could potentially not even have Tasmania in the national draft until after their first season.
How many players would be protected?
Or would an " unprotected" number work better
Say 9 players between 21 and 31 are unprotected.
Probably 4 of these would retire or be delisted anyway.
I don't think competitive unless that 9 increases to say 11 or 12.
I doubt clubs agree to 9, I would guess 6 at best.

Last edited:
Probably 5 of these would retire or be dekisted anyway.

There are heaps of different ways you could do it. You would need to have visibility of all the contracts to know exactly what makes it fair.

But maybe something like every contracted player on below average AFL wage is in the draft, and you can protect a certain number of them, maybe only 3 or 4 plus draftees on their first contract.

Tasmania can choose one player from each team and they are automatically given a 3 year contract with a 150k salary bump.

Maybe there is a second round where Tasmania can take another player from 9 of the teams and those teams are compensated with a second round pick. That would give them 27 ready made players. Without disadvantaging any team significantly.

Adding to that, I would give Tasmania exclusive access to their own state for probably 3 years before their first AFL game. The National Draft would be left untouched and Tasmania would enter it at the end of their first season.

The other options being discussed are just going to result in the same outcome of GWS and Gold Coast. Years of being hopeless. Years of compromised drafts. And some existing teams getting totally screwed over, while others aren't impacted at all.

Sadly, that is what the AFL will do though.

There are heaps of different ways you could do it. You would need to have visibility of all the contracts to know exactly what makes it fair.

But maybe something like every contracted player on below average AFL wage is in the draft, and you can protect a certain number of them, maybe only 3 or 4 plus draftees on their first contract.

Tasmania can choose one player from each team and they are automatically given a 3 year contract with a 150k salary bump.

Maybe there is a second round where Tasmania can take another player from 9 of the teams and those teams are compensated with a second round pick. That would give them 27 ready made players. Without disadvantaging any team significantly.

Adding to that, I would give Tasmania exclusive access to their own state for probably 3 years before their first AFL game. The National Draft would be left untouched and Tasmania would enter it at the end of their first season.

The other options being discussed are just going to result in the same outcome of GWS and Gold Coast. Years of being hopeless. Years of compromised drafts. And some existing teams getting totally screwed over, while others aren't impacted at all.

Sadly, that is what the AFL will do though.

I agree with you that would be the best solution but the obstacle is the aflpa.
I dont see them agreeing to anything that gives existing listed players no control over whether they go to tassie or not-based on their negotiations over FA rules they will want the players to have full control. Even with pay bumps for tassie players i dont see them changing that.

Hence we are going to have a gws/gc type solution i think.

I agree with you that would be the best solution but the obstacle is the aflpa.
I dont see them agreeing to anything that gives existing listed players no control over whether they go to tassie or not-based on their negotiations over FA rules they will want the players to have full control. Even with pay bumps for tassie players i dont see them changing that.

Hence we are going to have a gws/gc type solution i think.

I think that it all comes back to money. Money can decide anything.

It wouldn't be easy, I agree. But saying to players earning, for example, under 400k, they are guaranteed 600k and a 3 year contract would be hard for the aflpa to say no to.

But they have years to work this stuff out.

The GWS/GC list builds were a disaster that everyone should be arguing against. A properly done expansion draft resolves all the things that everyone hated about them.

Instead, everyone seems to be arguing for some form of the GWS/GC scenario to happen again.

With years of compromised drafts.

Some existing teams being screwed over.

Teams down the bottom unable to improve because all the best young players are sent to Tasmania.

I think that it all comes back to money. Money can decide anything.

It wouldn't be easy, I agree. But saying to players earning, for example, under 400k, they are guaranteed 600k and a 3 year contract would be hard for the aflpa to say no to.

But they have years to work this stuff out.

The GWS/GC list builds were a disaster that everyone should be arguing against. A properly done expansion draft resolves all the things that everyone hated about them.

Instead, everyone seems to be arguing for some form of the GWS/GC scenario to happen again.

With years of compromised drafts.

Some existing teams being screwed over.

Teams down the bottom unable to improve because all the best young players are sent to Tasmania.

I think it might depend how hard the players themselves push for it and basically tell their aflpa leaders (like marsh etc) to GTFO out the way. But the aflpa leadership has been very militant in recent negotiations and the afl has shown that the afl is soft so i doubt it.

If i was the afl id bring in a solution like what you suggest and tell the aflpa thats whats happening, and if they dont like it call their bluff and tell the PA they can go to court.
But the afl wont do that.

From the point of view of the AFLPA publicity wise its easier to justify some 18yo no one knows well being sent to tassie than very high profile members being forced there. Which is why we will get a gws solution.

I think it might depend how hard the players themselves push for it and basically tell their aflpa leaders (like marsh etc) to GTFO out the way. But the aflpa leadership has been very militant in recent negotiations and the afl has shown that the afl is soft so i doubt it.

If i was the afl id bring in a solution like what you suggest and tell the aflpa thats whats happening, and if they dont like it call their bluff and tell the PA they can go to court.
But the afl wont do that.
There doesn't necessarily need to be a really militant negotiation though. More money for some fringe players should be a good thing that is embraced by all.

There might be a player or two who doesn't want to move, even with the extra cash, but that shouldn't outweigh the needs of the entire competition.

You could even loosen the protections and provide players with the option to opt in/out of the draft.

But in reality the AFL are going to come up with some replica of what they did with GWS and Gold Coast and there will be 5+ years of drafts totally ruined. A handful of clubs will lose star players for money and others won't be impacted at all.

And if you happen to be stuck down the bottom during that period, then good luck ...

An expansion draft would resolve all of this.

Probably 4 of these would retire or be delisted anyway.
When the NBA last ran an expansion draft the teams were allowed to protect 8 players which is basically half their player roster. (At the time it was 15 players with 12 being dressed for a game)

So I reckon if you ran that model here you are basically protecting 22 players of your choice.

i heard mccercher to tas for 2m a season...it's according to robbo on fox but hey. Mate as a north supporter, i wanna say, effing bring it on mate. The compo for 2m a season player is going to be astronomical that could land us a bluechip key fwd. Foxnews, love them...for their entertainment.

Ohhh i forgot, mccerher's contract ends in 2026 and tas enters the competition in...2028. So what's he going to do, a gap year? 1 year contract extension? Yeah mate, well thought of.

There doesn't necessarily need to be a really militant negotiation though. More money for some fringe players should be a good thing that is embraced by all.

There might be a player or two who doesn't want to move, even with the extra cash, but that shouldn't outweigh the needs of the entire competition.

You could even loosen the protections and provide players with the option to opt in/out of the draft.

But in reality the AFL are going to come up with some replica of what they did with GWS and Gold Coast and there will be 5+ years of drafts totally ruined. A handful of clubs will lose star players for money and others won't be impacted at all.

And if you happen to be stuck down the bottom during that period, then good luck ...

An expansion draft would resolve all of this.

At the end of the day, it's not a problem, just hands out for compo, let afl sort out the issue, if the issue is big enough, it's not an issue

For me I’d be looking at giving them say pick 1,3,5 then a couple of picks after the non finals sides then a couple of picks at the end of the first round. Maybe then PP at 11 and 19 for the next two seasons.

You could also look at giving them less picks but salary cap concessions. Allow them say an extra $3mil first season, $2mil second and $1mil in their third year then allow them to sign any out of contract player they want for three seasons with the AFL giving FA compo. This way it spreads the pain over the whole competition more evenly and possibly over a longer time making it less severe.
The problem is the only players wanting to go there at the start are going to be motivated by opportunity (players with limited ability) or money. Extra money is the only way we will see them be competitive quickly.
Love the idea of a tapered salary cap excess. I think even more importantly though it needs to apply to the soft cap too. If the salary cap boost was for 3 years then make the soft cap boost 5 yrs.
They could just raise the Tassie salary cap to be equal to the salary cap expected raises but 3 years ahead so after that they are just back to the same as everyone else.
Not sure if he would go for it but if they could talk Paul Roos into helping out with the establishment of the team I think he has a proven track record at two different clubs in turning them around. Could be a good advisor to help for the first 3 seasons or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon the AFL shouldn’t give them anything up front. Just allow them to sign 20 mature players and the AFL determines the compensation without negotiation. We have very good market indications of players value in the trade market, we’ve seen plenty of high profile players movement. Limit it to a maximum of three players from one team and clubs have to accept the AFL determine compensation.

Nick Daicos
Josh Daicos
Ugle-Hagan
Tim English
Mitch Owens

Any other gun players from clubs I despise (Pies, Dogs, Saints) are also welcome. Let’s put them down the bottom for a generation.

I reckon the AFL shouldn’t give them anything up front. Just allow them to sign 20 mature players and the AFL determines the compensation without negotiation. We have very good market indications of players value in the trade market, we’ve seen plenty of high profile players movement. Limit it to a maximum of three players from one team and clubs have to accept the AFL determine compensation.
If done properly via an expansion draft, each club loses about the same amount. Hence no compensation needed.
I would like to see something like each club giving up 1 player under 26 , one player over 26.
Must have played 30 afl games ( or some other way to avoid just getting to many delisted quality players).

Then give them 8 picks in the draft to get to 44 players.
Picks 1,6,11,16,21,26,31,36.

Last edited:
Alex Pearce to be first captain is my tip.

Would be 32ish by then with a couple of years to lead the way, a bit like Phil Davis at the Giants (though he was much younger).
It wouldnt be the worst Idea. Ross Glendenning was 30 years and 193 days old when he was the captain of West coast eagles 1st ever game.

Saying that, I would wanted Lenny Hayes join GWS in 2012. would of been decent captain for a couple of years.

Nick Daicos
Josh Daicos
Ugle-Hagan
Tim English
Mitch Owens

Any other gun players from clubs I despise (Pies, Dogs, Saints) are also welcome. Let’s put them down the bottom for a generation.
We lost Callan Ward to GWS and then beat him in a prelim on our way to a flag a few years later. You’ll have to think of something else to Carlton us.

Who gets the job it has to be someone credible with premiership creditials if the AFL wants this to be competitive & successful straight away.

Stephen Wells from Geelong would be a good pick not sure if he would do it but considering Chris Scott will be one of the favourites to be coach when they come into the competition good be a good model to follow.

With Brendon Gale the likely CEO it's a good successful team which knows how to get it done.

If done properly via an expansion draft, each club loses about the same amount. Hence no compensation needed.
I would like to see something like each club giving up 1 player under 26 , one player over 26.
Must have played 30 afl games ( or some other way to avoid just getting to many delisted quality players).

Do the players have a choice?

Isnt that the issue?

All well to say every team gives up a player but what if that player who is under contract doesnt want to move to Tasmania and forgo success for years?

It wouldnt be the worst Idea. Ross Glendenning was 30 years and 193 days old when he was the captain of West coast eagles 1st ever game.

Saying that, I would wanted Lenny Hayes join GWS in 2012. would of been decent captain for a couple of years.
I reckon he's well qualified.

The other alternative is someone who's not necessarily the one captain, but a group of players who can set the culture early. That's critical to the foundation of the team.

If you did a proper expansion draft, you wouldn't need to touch the national draft.

Tasmania could just enter the National Draft after their first season.

The AFL won't do that though.

It will be years of compromised drafts, some existing teams being screwed over but others not being impacted at all, and the end result will be Tasmania will still be totally uncompetitive like GWS and Gold Coast were.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back