Toast Ted Richards Appreciation Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 4, 2010
South-West Victoria
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Port Melb, Eintracht Frankfurt.
Have always been a big fan of Teddles. Yesterday, when we were in trouble, he saved our arses a couple of times with some nice marks and spoils and ended up being one of the best on ground for us.

It's been a great come back for a man who's career was at the crossroads, when he couldn't get a game half way through last year and when LRT went down last year, as stepped up to the plate, as Teddles only can.

Well done to Super Ted, what a way to silence the knockers. Isn't the most skillful of player, but is one of our bravest though.

Love Super Ted. :heart:

I completely agree. Even now Ted Richards is underrated and with both Bolton and LRT going down last year Ted has shown us all what he is capable of doing. In current form Ted would be one of the first players picked at the selection table. Well done Super Ted

superted2.jpg

It would be met with ridicule from 99% of non-Swans fans but he would have to be one of the best 4 or 5 defenders in the AFL this year. I believe that sincerely. He has been far better than I ever though he could be in 2011.

Definitely agree with this thread, early last year when he was playing in the ressies there was a lot of doubt about his future.

His form and effort since coming back into the side has been brilliant, can almost gaurantee each week that he will be competitive and be amongst our best defenders. Much <3 for Teddy (also his columns aren't half bad either)

Solid as.

Doesn't get the easy uncontested possessions Grundy does, as he plays a different role after oppositions have flooded back, but is far more reliable than Grundy getting to a marking contest to spoil - and body on body. Bring back LRT and we've git two reliable key defenders.

Also thought Johnson was a big improver on his first game.

I remember the game against Carlton in 2009 when he punctured his lung.

My mate and I were pulling our hair out at his turnovers - the worst of which was when he received a handball in the goalsquare, turned around, saw a Carlton player 3 metres away, looked the other way before putting it straight into the hands of the Carlton player who he just eyed up who couldn't believe his luck. We went nuts!! We were of the opinion that he was the worst defender on our list and that he should be de-listed then and there.

However, there are times in life when you need to re-evaluate your position on a given matter and this is one of them. To whoever said that he was one of the top 5 backmen in the AFL - I agree 100%. It is truly amazing how he has turned his game around. His decision making is now one of his strong points, his footskills have improved, and coupled with the bravery and toughness he always had, he has become arguably our most important player.

Thanks for proving me wrong Ted!! :thumbsu:

I remember the game against Carlton in 2009 when he punctured his lung.

My mate and I were pulling our hair out at his turnovers - the worst of which was when he received a handball in the goalsquare, turned around, saw a Carlton player 3 metres away, looked the other way before putting it straight into the hands of the Carlton player who he just eyed up who couldn't believe his luck. We went nuts!! We were of the opinion that he was the worst defender on our list and that he should be de-listed then and there.

However, there are times in life when you need to re-evaluate your position on a given matter and this is one of them. To whoever said that he was one of the top 5 backmen in the AFL - I agree 100%. It is truly amazing how he has turned his game around. His decision making is now one of his strong points, his footskills have improved, and coupled with the bravery and toughness he always had, he has become arguably our most important player.

Thanks for proving me wrong Ted!! :thumbsu:

Richards 2009 form was questionable right up until he got that injury. But from his return last year was a big improvement and this year when asked to step up to the top of his game he has.

Enjoying his form and thankful for it at the moment. With the forwards goal kicking woes he may have saved a couple of games already.

Just love Teddy and it is good to see this thread and people appreciating his efforts. He is a great character as well for the Swans, glad he is enjoying his time with us after being with the Bombers. Go Teddy!!!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very happy to post in this thread, Richards has been fantastic all year. Hopefully we will be out of the woods soon with Roberts-Thomson and Spangher recovered from injury, which will give us the depth to cover a KPD if one goes down.

Very happy to post in this thread, Richards has been fantastic all year. Hopefully we will be out of the woods soon with Roberts-Thomson and Spangher recovered from injury, which will give us the depth to cover a KPD if one goes down.
According to the reserves report, Spangher re-injured himself early in the reserves game

Has now become, what I believe to be, our number 1 Defender, overtaking Grundy, LRT and Bolton( I know he's retired). He's keeping up a fine tradition of us having a very good/excellent/reliable full back/centre half back over the years.

Staring with: Rod Carter, Mark Bayes, Andrew Shauble, Andrew Dunkley, Leo Barry, Craig Bolton, Heath Grundy(well...for most of last year anyway) and now it seems like its Teddy's turn to be 'our number one' go to man down back....Love watching him go about his work with minimum fuss.

Bungee wants to see more of SuperTed heroics

Anyone fancy knocking up a highlights reel ?

He has been offered a one week ban for rough conduct. will he get off? A couple of herald sun reporters are saying its a disgrace if he gets a week

"Ted Richards, Sydney Swans, has been charged with a Level Two engaging in rough conduct offence against Lindsay Gilbee, Western Bulldogs, during the second quarter of the Round Seven match between the Sydney Swans and the Western Bulldogs, played at Manuka Oval on Saturday May 7, 2011.

In summary, due to a five-year good record, he can accept a one-match sanction with an early plea.

Based on the video evidence available and a medical report from the Western Bulldogs, the incident was assessed as negligent conduct (one point), medium impact (two points) and high contact (two points). This is a total of five activation points, resulting in a classification of a Level Two offence, drawing 225 demerit points and a two-match sanction. He has an existing five-year good record, reducing the penalty by 25 per cent to 168.75 points and a one-match sanction. An early plea reduces the sanction by 25 per cent to 126.56 points and a one-match sanction."

Load of tripe!

I've always liked Ted - was sad when he left the Bombers but have enjoyed seeing his career go well up in Sydney!
I don't know if he is in AA form but the bloke clearly deserves some accolades and respect IMHO

I'm not sure if he's had AA form for the whole year, but he is red hot at the moment, that's for sure. Great story really. He wasn't even in our starting 22 for much of 2010. Amazing turnaround.

There was a question hanging in the air over our defence for some when Bolton went down. But with AJ's amazing debut season, and the support of the rest of the crew he's just become an absolute star back there.

He's been great all year but close to unstoppable the past month.

That goal he spoiled while wrestling with Podsiadly and falling backwards just summed up his form at the moment.

I've had a man crush on Ted ever since the '06 grand final. He single almost single handedly clawed the lead back for us in that game.

And while he's had his ups and downs since then he's always had my respect for being a player who always gives 100% for the jumper regardless of the teams overall form.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back