The 2014 Attendance Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

25,505 at the SCG. Pretty good considering the conditions.

A very good crowd considering it was pissing down for most of the match.When the NRL had one of their event games a couple of weeks back at the SCG it only got the low 20s as well in similar conditions.

A very good crowd considering it was pissing down for most of the match.When the NRL had one of their event games a couple of weeks back at the SCG it only got the low 20s as well in similar conditions.
Actually in yesterday's game the rain was a lot more persistent and heavy than the nrl game that you mentioned.

In fairness they were celebrating the 10th anniversary of their first flag (albeit the Lions have a pretty small following in Adelaide) so the game was probably slightly inflated in total.

Id expect that they'll probably aim for 38,000 to 40,000 against the Cats...

I can foresee Port Adelaide drawing 35,000 or more in a strong season and 30,000 in a poor season at the Oval. Probably a 10,000 boost on figures posted at Football Park. The Crows will be more interesting, from what I understand Football Park was far more their home ground than Port's?

The Crows crowd this week will be very, very interesting. Easter Sunday game against GWS is about as bad a timeslot/opponent as you'll get, but at least they are coming off a win. They'll still get above 40,000 I reckon. Given that the Adelaide Oval is still shiny and new, there will still be people who will make the effort to go even though it is Easter or will give their tickets to others who will make the effort they otherwise wouldn't have at Footy Park.

If Port's form continues I think there are some real chances for sellouts against teams like Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton.

Plenty of spare seats in and around us & thats only 1 bay. You just do not see this on TV. I initially thought it was 23k - 25k before the crowd was annnounced.

Yep there were plenty of spare seats to be seen on TV I thought it was a pretty poor crowd of a Sat night againt a good opponent.Maybe the direct against the game dragging the numbers down.

I only just found this thread.

Would like to know what some of guys think.
This year I could swear that the footy crowds have been sad to say the least. I dont blame the fans, I blame the AFL for making people turn their backs on the league. It seems the WAFL is slowly getting back numbers every year whilst the AFL (from my view) is losing fans. I love live footy, there isnt anything better. Has it always been like this at the start of the year or is this year so far just that bad

The Crows crowd this week will be very, very interesting. Easter Sunday game against GWS is about as bad a timeslot/opponent as you'll get, but at least they are coming off a win. They'll still get above 40,000 I reckon. Given that the Adelaide Oval is still shiny and new, there will still be people who will make the effort to go even though it is Easter or will give their tickets to others who will make the effort they otherwise wouldn't have at Footy Park.

If Port's form continues I think there are some real chances for sellouts against teams like Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton.

If they get 30,000 it will be a fair effort, considering a huge number of people flee Adelaide every Easter.

We rarely drop below 20K (if we do it's a 18/19K crowd, no major dips), would have only happened on a handful of occasions since 1998. We're pretty consistent with our crowds. 20k is fantastic, especially for a standalone clash in Brisbane. Historically just 20k is a little pathetic for a Easter Thursday Game. We averaged high 20Ks/low 30ks for all games at the Gabba until 2011 where the attendances literally dropped by 10k and we have pretty much averaged 20k since. But considering where we are, it's about par.

We've gotten 20k+ in our first 2 home games of the year which is nice considering where we are, but I see our average attendance dipping below 20k this year for the first time since 1998. A decade with only one finals series appearance in a non AFL state will do that I guess....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Grwat
57,116 at Pies v North, more than I expected.

Great crowd! Expected 55,000 but 57,000 was fantastic. Was helped by 45,000 Collingwood fans being in attendance.

Next week 90,000 will be at the game. Being a Collingwood home game I would expect 50-55,000 Collingwood fans to be at the game compared to 30-35,000 Essendon fans

57,116 was North's 15th biggest home and away crowd of all time and their largest in 14 years, so not too shabby. Hopefully the corner has been turned in terms of the poor crowds this year and Easter Monday, ANZAC Day and Coll v Carl all turn out to be big ones.

I think it was a great turnout for collingwood and north. I was there in the southern stand and most of the ground looked fairly packed (couldn't see the above me in the southern stand but that's usually fairly well populated)
MCC was probably only 45-50% full if that, so I think it was a good turnout by the afl and club members/supporters. Most MCC neutrals are prbably saving themselves for Monday. I tipped about 55k so 57 and a half, I'm happy. Seems to have been a pretty good start to the weekend with the interstate games drawing pretty well, too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back