The 2014 TV Ratings thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Sat STV #AFL #AFLSwansFreo 263k #AFLPiesNorth 214k #AFLDonsSaints 135k #AFLEaglesPower 123k #FoxFooty #FoxSports

Sat TV #AFL arvo 7mate Perth 96k

Sat TV #AFL night Seven 457k (Mel 309k Ade 148k) 7mate 171k (Syd 46k Bri 15k Per 109k)

Just on the afternoon ratings on 7mate, beautiful day yesterday in Perth, went to the West Perth V South Freo game ( should not have bothered really :rolleyes: ) but once again it was a great day for the beach, where i should have gone

Summer continues to eat further and further into footy season in WA , or maybe just this season ATM.
Bizarre how Syd v Freo wasn't on the main channel as it didn't interrupt the 6pm news in Perth

Bizarre how Syd v Freo wasn't on the main channel as it didn't interrupt the 6pm news in Perth

Channel 7 have completely lost the plot.

They decided to keep horse racing on channel 7 in perth, even though it only rated 1/6th of what fremantle and sydney did, and they destroyed freo's and sydney's potential ratings.

Channel 7 have completely lost the plot.

They decided to keep horse racing on channel 7 in perth, even though it only rated 1/6th of what fremantle and sydney did, and they destroyed freo's and sydney's potential ratings.
Haha seriously horse racing? ******* imbeciles.

Footy fans cant change channels ... pathetic .... Stewie !

No they can't, and neither can anyone else for that matter, secondary channels obviously do rate lower, for starters not everyone has a program guide on the actual TV, a lot of people think just 7,9,10 and ABC.

I dont think that statement is a stretch by any means.

Adelaide with 600K less people than Perth is consistently getting much higher numbers.

Before Channel 7 switched perth viewers to 7mate, perth was actually getting slightly higher ratings then adelaide.

Channel 7 is the reason why adelaide is ahead, not because it's more of an AFL state.

Its true, ratings dropped in Brisbane, Sydney and now Perth with the move to digital channels. Theres no arguing with the data.

Times like this i wish we stuck with channel 10

They took the hit and showed AFL live in non AFL states

Before Channel 7 switched perth viewers to 7mate, perth was actually getting slightly higher ratings then adelaide.

Channel 7 is the reason why adelaide is ahead, not because it's more of an AFL state.

I think in Perth last week they had a Eagles game on 7mate, and a non-Eagles/Dockers game on 7, that to me does not make sense, 7 is in it for the ratings to sell advertising.

It is weird, but it appears they will persevere, and they must have their reasons, it is the ratings overall that matter, the minor stations are added with the major for overall network ratings, that is all i can think off.

No they can't, and neither can anyone else for that matter, secondary channels obviously do rate lower, for starters not everyone has a program guide on the actual TV, a lot of people think just 7,9,10 and ABC.

I dont think that statement is a stretch by any means.

Of course. I know there isn't a lot of logic to it, but it just is. The same program on a main channel will rate much better than if it was on a multichannel. My guess is you lose around 30% of the audience. Which for a high rating program like the footy, is significant. And it's unlikely to be picked up by whatever the replacement show is on 7.

Take yesterday - 7's lineup whilst the football was on 7mate was:
-Horse racing (which rated 148k nationally, most of which was probably in Sydney)
-Border Security USA
-Better homes and gardens repeat
-Highway patrol
-Destination WA
-News (which rated 113k in Perth - an incredibly poor figure. As a comparison the last Sat night 7 news without AFL rated 175k)
-Bend it like Beckham (no i'm not kidding, a 12 year old movie targeted at 14 year old girls - textbook multichannel filler)
-Gone (another movie)

Now other than the news I reckon 7 would be lucky if any of those programs cracked 50k in total, yet they probably lost 50k alone by putting the football on 7mate. Possibly more. Funnily enough they delayed the Eagles game so whilst the news was on 7 the pre-game show was on 7mate. So they could have kept their precious news on at 6pm and run each game either side of it and had huge ratings all night. Instead whilst they got fantastic ratings for a multichannel, they sacrificed total audience share because their main channel was full of rubbish.

They've made a complete balls up of it. Be interesting to know whether the AFL has made some noise to 7 about it, because it can't help Vlad's bonus.

Of course. I know there isn't a lot of logic to it, but it just is. The same program on a main channel will rate much better than if it was on a multichannel. My guess is you lose around 30% of the audience. Which for a high rating program like the footy, is significant. And it's unlikely to be picked up by whatever the replacement show is on 7.

Take yesterday - 7's lineup whilst the football was on 7mate was:
-Horse racing (which rated 148k nationally, most of which was probably in Sydney)
-Border Security USA
-Better homes and gardens repeat
-Highway patrol
-Destination WA
-News (which rated 113k in Perth - an incredibly poor figure. As a comparison the last Sat night 7 news without AFL rated 175k)
-Bend it like Beckham (no i'm not kidding, a 12 year old movie targeted at 14 year old girls - textbook multichannel filler)
-Gone (another movie)

Now other than the news I reckon 7 would be lucky if any of those programs cracked 50k in total, yet they probably lost 50k alone by putting the football on 7mate. Possibly more. Funnily enough they delayed the Eagles game so whilst the news was on 7 the pre-game show was on 7mate. So they could have kept their precious news on at 6pm and run each game either side of it and had huge ratings all night. Instead whilst they got fantastic ratings for a multichannel, they sacrificed total audience share because their main channel was full of rubbish.

They've made a complete balls up of it. Be interesting to know whether the AFL has made some noise to 7 about it, because it can't help Vlad's bonus.

Its 7 and more importantly the sponsers and companies that pay a heap to advertise during the footy in prime time who would be be pretty concerned that their advertising dollars were being wasted on secondary channels.If I was one of those advertisers I would be asking for some money back.

The AFL and Club sponsers would also not be very happy either as the pay very big bucks to get the maximum exposure on TV.

The AFL has to be asking the questions of CH7 and dont forget the next TV rights talks are about to be started soon and the other channels now have a big stick to belt 7 with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Music to the AFLs ears for the next rights
And Eddie is right about Samuel he was the main driving force to shape the current AFL set up.

It was a very smart move by RL to get Samuel on board a code not generally known for its smarts.

Ten set to be a player in AFL broadcast rights
Date
April 21, 2014 - 3:35PM

Jon Pierik
Sports writer with The Age
View more articles from Jon Pierik

1398073525196.jpg-300x0.jpg

Channel 10 chief Hamish McLennan. Photo: Peter Braig

Channel Ten chief Hamish McLennan has confirmed the former AFL broadcaster shapes as a player in the next rights deal.

Ten shared the free-to-air rights with Nine and Foxtel between 2002 and 2006 and with Seven between 2007 and 2011, but opted to pull out of the latest deal, with Ten at the time interested more in securing the NRL rights.

That did not eventuate, leading to a falling out between then Ten chief executive Lachlan Murdoch and then News Corp Australia chief Kim Williams, the latter now an AFL commissioner.

Ten’s interest in the next round of AFL rights could help bump up the price.

"Yes, we’re keen. All depends on what is on offer," McLennan said.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-ne...cast-rights-20140421-zqx7x.html#ixzz2zYcdPivS

Music to the AFLs ears for the next rights
And Eddie is right about Samuel he was the main driving force to shape the current AFL set up.

It was a very smart move by RL to get Samuel on board a code not generally known for its smarts.
Actually over the last 3 years I'd say that RL has been better run than AFL, it started from a long way back yes, but the AFL has stagnated with a tired leadership and internal powerbroking.

Ch10 signally it is interested in the rights might be music to the ears of the AFL, but the article has also clearly said it wants to know what is on offer first. I doubt Ch10 has the balance sheet to suggest it can go it alone for the tv rights, they are struggling financially and trying to justify that sort of payout for rights is not feasible. The stength of the football rights is not solely in the revenue you earn from advertisers for match day timeslots, it is in the cross marketing of other tv shows. The ability to plug crap shows like MKR and what-ever talent contest they have, boosts the ratings of those shows and subsequently the revenue they get from them. Major sporting rights are about the secondary benefits as much as the primary benefits.

Actually over the last 3 years I'd say that RL has been better run than AFL, it started from a long way back yes, but the AFL has stagnated with a tired leadership and internal powerbroking.

Ch10 signally it is interested in the rights might be music to the ears of the AFL, but the article has also clearly said it wants to know what is on offer first. I doubt Ch10 has the balance sheet to suggest it can go it alone for the tv rights, they are struggling financially and trying to justify that sort of payout for rights is not feasible. The stength of the football rights is not solely in the revenue you earn from advertisers for match day timeslots, it is in the cross marketing of other tv shows. The ability to plug crap shows like MKR and what-ever talent contest they have, boosts the ratings of those shows and subsequently the revenue they get from them. Major sporting rights are about the secondary benefits as much as the primary benefits.

If the AFL are smart they will split the the rights with two channels and maximize the amount like they did in the past when 7 and 10 shared the rights.

I think the AFL would be better off with some new blood with different and new ideas from outside their own little group when selecting the next CEO and if that means people get their noses out of joint so be it.

@MediaweekAUS: Mon TV Easter Monday #AFL #AFLCatsHawks Seven 587k (Mel 374k Ade 104k Per 110k) 7mate 85k (Syd 32k Bri 53k)

Again Adelaide rated at a higher percentage than Melbourne despite two Melbourne teams playing. At least Perths figures were up because it was shown on ch7 not 7mate

Foxtel ratings were good

@MediaweekAUS: Mon STV #AFL #AFLCatsHawks 320k #FoxFooty

@MediaweekAUS: Mon TV Easter Monday #AFL #AFLCatsHawks Seven 587k (Mel 374k Ade 104k Per 110k) 7mate 85k (Syd 32k Bri 53k)

Again Adelaide rated at a higher percentage than Melbourne despite two Melbourne teams playing. At least Perths figures were up because it was shown on ch7 not 7mate

Foxtel ratings were good

@MediaweekAUS: Mon STV #AFL #AFLCatsHawks 320k #FoxFooty
Sydney FTA still shocking. Yes I know NSW has higher uptake of Foxtel subscribers, but so does Brisbane, and their FTA figure was OK.

Sydney FTA still shocking. Yes I know NSW has higher uptake of Foxtel subscribers, but so does Brisbane, and their FTA figure was OK.

ok? 53k is extremely good for brisbane, even when brisbane are playing, we never get over 50k

A

The ANZAC game was round 5 last year so that probably explains the red across the board. You would expect some bridging of the gap this weekend with the ANZAC game in round 6 this year.
Friday's triple header should also rate well, as should 1 v 2 on Sunday. Unfortunately that's the one game that is clashing with another this round (Hawthorn v Richmond).

@MediaweekAUS: ANZAC Day #AFL night #AFLFreoNorth Seven 332k (Mel 241k Ade 91k) 7mate 171k (Syd 15k Bri 11k Per 146k)

@MediaweekAUS: ANZAC Day #AFL arvo #AFLPiesDons Seven 932k (Syd 71k Mel 519k Bri 74k Ade 130k Per 139k)

How do these figures compare to last years ANZAC day?

@MediaweekAUS: ANZAC Day #AFL night #AFLFreoNorth Seven 332k (Mel 241k Ade 91k) 7mate 171k (Syd 15k Bri 11k Per 146k)

@MediaweekAUS: ANZAC Day #AFL arvo #AFLPiesDons Seven 932k (Syd 71k Mel 519k Bri 74k Ade 130k Per 139k)

How do these figures compare to last years ANZAC day?

Intersting to note that Freo V North was on 7mate in Perth , whilst Coll V Ess was on 7 in Perth.

And the ratings for Freo game in Perth were only 7k above, and possibly in a better time slot for viewers. (?)

Make of that what you will.

Rob may be able to disect the possible lost ratings better than me

Remove this Banner Ad

Back