Mega Thread The 2015 Season Mega Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Liked that he had a pot at us not being on TV and the fact that many haven't seen a lot this preseason. Doesn't look like closed sessions are going to change.
Didn't hear Rooch asking any questions...strange.

Liked that he had a pot at us not being on TV and the fact that many haven't seen a lot this preseason. Doesn't look like closed sessions are going to change.
Didn't hear Rooch asking any questions...strange.
Very very clear that he believes open training is NOT a part of modern footy.
"Knowledge is Power" Kim Jong-Phil.

Great presser, looked really energetic, excited and generally up and about. Thought his response to soders question about game style was hilarious. Capel calling Reilly's injury a 'saga' was poor choice of words.

This is a very good presser. Refreshing to have a non bulls**t coach.

Feels good at this stage doesn't it.

I love that he isn't talking up any individuals, I love that he is practising what he preaches, I love that he isn't intimidated by the press in the slightest, I love that he knows he is in his element in the coaches box.

Bring on the season already, I want to see this new AFC in action. I want to see who is committed to the cause, I want to see what our squad can do under an inspirational leader.

Can't understand all of the love for this interview. He barely said a damn thing apart from condescendingly telling the journo's he wasn't going to answer their questions.

Seems extremely intelligent and very very passionate about footy and the club. Looks like he is genuinely excited about the tactical side of the game and think this will be a huge turnaround.

For me the two early concerns with Walsh are as follows:

1. His ability to deal with the media if we start losing badly. Think this could turn very ugly. Its all very good to sit there and talk team first mantra in the preseason and say that you aren't going to give anything away. Its another story when the media smell blood.

2. His hardline approach. Yes its refreshing because its the complete opposite of sacked Sando. There must be concern about his ability to deal with the younger generation. Said in the press conference there have been some incidents down at the club that he could have handled better. Bit of a red flag there.

Very excited for football to played so we can see what his gameplan actually is and how we respond to it.

2. His hardline approach. Yes its refreshing because its the complete opposite of sacked Sando. There must be concern about his ability to deal with the younger generation.

No concern at all for me.
Depends on the player. No doubt his old school approach will make some uncomfortable, but I expect others will welcome it - country boys like the Crouch's and Tex. Better to get rid of anyone soft sooner rather than later in my opinion.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't understand all of the love for this interview. He barely said a damn thing apart from condescendingly telling the journo's he wasn't going to answer their questions.

Seems extremely intelligent and very very passionate about footy and the club. Looks like he is genuinely excited about the tactical side of the game and think this will be a huge turnaround.

For me the two early concerns with Walsh are as follows:

1. His ability to deal with the media if we start losing badly. Think this could turn very ugly. Its all very good to sit there and talk team first mantra in the preseason and say that you aren't going to give anything away. Its another story when the media smell blood.

2. His hardline approach. Yes its refreshing because its the complete opposite of sacked Sando. There must be concern about his ability to deal with the younger generation. Said in the press conference there have been some incidents down at the club that he could have handled better. Bit of a red flag there.

Very excited for football to played so we can see what his gameplan actually is and how we respond to it.

IMO we supporters have created this Walsh military type of perception, yes he demands elite and team first standards however i think he will be very good with the players no matter ladder position

i get the feeling he knows when to push, knows when to release, knows when to punish and knows when to reward

he will know which rein to pull at the right time

IMO we supporters have created this Walsh military type of perception, yes he demands elite and team first standards however i think he will be very good with the players no matter ladder position

Disagree.

Its the only thing Phil Walsh has been open about and the only thing he will talk about at length are his weaknesses. Loves talking about his weaknesses.

Direct quote from the Caro article

""I'm too intense," Walsh said, "too judgmental and I judge people by my own standards. I'm stubborn. I've got no patience".

In the interview posted above. He talks briefly how he has already had some issues with the playing group and its only pre-season.

We haven't created anything. Walsh has created it.

i get the feeling he knows when to push, knows when to release, knows when to punish and knows when to reward

How?

I think his 'formula one' quote is very relevant here.

He has all the tools to be a head coach. He has acknowledged his weaknesses, which is a great start. How he goes when the pressure is on will be a whole different scenario.

Disagree.

Its the only thing Phil Walsh has been open about and the only thing he will talk about at length are his weaknesses. Loves talking about his weaknesses.

""I'm too intense," Walsh said, "too judgmental and I judge people by my own standards. I'm stubborn. I've got no patience".

In the interview posted above. He talks briefly how he has already had some issues with the playing group and its only pre-season.

How?

He has all the tools to be a head coach. He has acknowledged his weaknesses, which is a great start. How he goes when the pressure is on will be a whole different scenario.
He didn't say he had issues with the playing group he said he already had some tough issues to deal with - being Reilly and some other personal issues a player had that he wouldn't expand on. Not an issue with PW.

I was blown away with his confidence and conviction in himself and I think the players will run through walls for him. Exciting times ahead!

There must be concern about his ability to deal with the younger generation. Said in the press conference there have been some incidents down at the club that he could have handled better. Bit of a red flag there.

I don't think that's what he said. My recollection is that a couple of challenging things had happened. One was what happened to Reilly, which must be playing on every one's mind. The other was with him being privvy to some personal concerns for someone or a couple of people in the club. Could be a player, or official. I think he was just being honest and transparent about the differences being the head honcho, and being assistant coach, (who does not hear about the personal concern issues generally). It's drawing a long bow to say there's a red flag here.

Surely Walsh is still trying to weed the keepers from the not so much mob... play hard and see who is committed to the goal, the not so much mob wont be there next year...

Disagree.

How?

How you ask

the players were blown away by Walsh's handling of the Radar incident, by the coaches own admission he woukd have at one time demanded the player to get up but instead he showed great care to not only for Radar but to the broader playing group, he not only cancelled training and spent the next 6-8 hours at the hospital with Radar and his family he also gave the players an option if they wanted to train or not for the remainder of the week

Dont be fooled by the way he presets himself or the fact that he is prepared to table his previous flaws, Walsh is a man of great life and football experience and the way he handled the Radar incident gives me great confidence that he knows when to pull the right lever

Said in the press conference there have been some incidents down at the club that he could have handled better. Bit of a red flag there.
I saw the flag there as well, but I took what he said differently to you. IIRC, he said there had been a few incidents that the club have had to deal with. When pushed on that, he nearly slipped up (IMO due to his inexperience with media). Couple of points that came up in my mind;
1. As you suggested, when the media heats up, will he be able to maintain his cool with them? It's a fact we won't know until it happens.
2. What were these incidents (aside from Radar)? Is he referring to the "man-talks" as a result of the captaincy selection? Is it something else entirely?
3. IIRC, I don't think he said whether they were handled well or not? Happy to be proven wrong. He certainly didn't say whether they have resulted in further issues, or whether the issues are still ongoing.

The impression I get from the F1 comparison is that the wheat will be sorted from the chaff very quickly. He won't put up with guys who can't drive an F1. Unless a guy who can't handle can learn to handle it, we won't be seeing much of them at all. My concern, which I think is similar to yours, is that when the going gets tough, he'll break a lot of guys who can't handle that sort of pressure. Not everyone learns/responds/acts in the same way. Some guys will prosper under different circumstances. You can't go full steam ahead with everyone in the same direction.

Agreed.

I don't think it is his "hardness" that we like - it's that he means it. He is a serious guy, who understands that he is in a serious job. He has experienced things in life that have given him perspective, given him depth, given him character.

Personally, I just like that he is a genuine - balls and all - give your heart and soul - us / team buliding type of leader. I don't see him as tough or uncompromising at all. I see a guy that knows what he wants and can communicate clearly to others what they need to do to have a seat at his table.

I saw the flag there as well, but I took what he said differently to you. IIRC, he said there had been a few incidents that the club have had to deal with. When pushed on that, he nearly slipped up (IMO due to his inexperience with media). Couple of points that came up in my mind;
1. As you suggested, when the media heats up, will he be able to maintain his cool with them? It's a fact we won't know until it happens.
2. What were these incidents (aside from Radar)? Is he referring to the "man-talks" as a result of the captaincy selection? Is it something else entirely?
3. IIRC, I don't think he said whether they were handled well or not? Happy to be proven wrong. He certainly didn't say whether they have resulted in further issues, or whether the issues are still ongoing.

I got a completely different feel - I thought that they were personal issues that some players were dealing with. These types of incidents come to the head coach, but not to the assistants.

These young guys have lives outside of the footy bubble - and whether it is a sick relative, a problem in your relationship, some financial problems - they all influence individuals differently.

I reckon his point was that he rarely got involved in those types of things, but now as head coach - it's part of his job, and a responsibility that he takes seriously.

I don't know.
So many guys in here have complained that the club accepts mediocrity too easily. We now have a coach that will not accept mediocrity. We now have a coach that alludes to turning players over until he finds those that will put up when required, but some of us now think he may be too abrupt and may upset these players?
As far as his media persona? Who gives a flying f... what journos will think?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back