The 2017 Rights Deal Discussion thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note that the ARU share of the SANZAR rights has increased 15 million a year to $60 million only because BT and Sky went to a bidding war in the UK.
Saves the code from administration.

Imagine if foxtel didn't have a monopoly on the Australian STV market, the anti-siphoning list is about the only mechanism by which codes maintain a bargaining position with foxsports.

Saves the code from administration.

Imagine if foxtel didn't have a monopoly on the Australian STV market, the anti-siphoning list is about the only mechanism by which codes maintain a bargaining position with foxsports.

Ideally Foxtel should have been serparated for the sake of competition in the paytv segment years ago. Or Optus should have been more competent. Take your pick.

You are talking Fox, not FTA?
FTA wouldnt mind a Thursday night game I would say. People have naturally associated Thursday nights with footy thanks to the many football shows on telly, the teams coming out and such. It also gives the impression the weekend is almost here. Monday night is the start of a new week, people's mind's are back to work, it's not for footy.

FTA wouldnt mind a Thursday night game I would say. People have naturally associated Thursday nights with footy thanks to the many football shows on telly, the teams coming out and such. It also gives the impression the weekend is almost here. Monday night is the start of a new week, people's mind's are back to work, it's not for footy.

FTA has traditionally broadcast Thursday nights, at the expense of another timeslot (generally an afternoon)

Would an FTA be interested in a new marquee TV slot on Thursday nights?

Geez, I would have thought they would be.

For reference

AFLthursandmon2014.png

Worth noting that 2 of the 3 monday games were afternoons and on public holidays. Of the 5 thursdays none was a marquee game, and they were spread across 5 venues in 5 states.

For reference

AFLthursandmon2014.png

Worth noting that 2 of the 3 monday games were afternoons and on public holidays. Of the 5 thursdays none was a marquee game, and they were spread across 5 venues in 5 states.

One small clarification: only the Saints v Carl game is actually a Monday night game above, the other two were afternoon games (on a public holiday).

My original comment was that there appeared to be a greater appetite for Thurs night games over Monday night games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One small clarification: only the Saints v Carl game is actually a Monday night game above, the other two were afternoon games (on a public holiday).

My original comment was that there appeared to be a greater appetite for Thurs night games over Monday night games.

Why would you clarify something i already did?

Personally. I would rather us take a smaller deal. Which will give the AFL the leverage to force broadcasters to air Sydney and Brisbane games on the main channel.

Personally. I would rather us take a smaller deal. Which will give the AFL the leverage to force broadcasters to air Sydney and Brisbane games on the main channel.
Not going to happen, and really nor should it. The AFL go to enough lengths to ensure it gets shown somewhere on FTA and that is more than good enough. The networks would refuse to do it anyway, would see their ratings plummet.

Why wouldnt an AFL fan tune in a secondary channel IF they were interested ?
Non-cable Foxtel customers also miss out on 7 Mate, and therefore miss out on the AFL footage. Not everyone has the sports package.

Satellite Foxtel customers don't have access to 7 Mate, and if they don't have the sports package, even if they were interested, they couldn't tune in. Only cable Foxtel customers have access to the secondary 7 Mate channel.

Satellite Foxtel customers don't have access to 7 Mate, and if they don't have the sports package, even if they were interested, they couldn't tune in. Only cable Foxtel customers have access to the secondary 7 Mate channel.
Not sure what you are talking about. I've had standard Austar (Now Foxtel satellite) in remote SA and in Ballarat and I have always been able to access 7 Mate since it launched.

Not sure what you are talking about. I've had standard Austar (Now Foxtel satellite) in remote SA and in Ballarat and I have always been able to access 7 Mate since it launched.
Very strange - maybe it's just a Queensland thing. I've had Foxtel for about 5 years and having asked Foxtel numerous times why I don't have access to 7Mate/Gem/One/etc, I always get the response "sorry, 7/9/10 don't offer a feed to these channels over satellite - it's up to the FTA channels to pay to have these broadcast".

Even without knowing my location, a simple question on the Foxtel facebook page yields the same answer so I have no idea!

Very strange - maybe it's just a Queensland thing. I've had Foxtel for about 5 years and having asked Foxtel numerous times why I don't have access to 7Mate/Gem/One/etc, I always get the response "sorry, 7/9/10 don't offer a feed to these channels over satellite - it's up to the FTA channels to pay to have these broadcast".

Even without knowing my location, a simple question on the Foxtel facebook page yields the same answer so I have no idea!
I have the same problem - In Canberra where Foxtel is satelite, all we get from the FTA channels are ABC, ABS News 24 and SBS. Although the Foxtel guy who came past late last year said that with the new iq3 boxes coming out sometime this year, they will allow you to feed in the FTA signal from the antenna so you would be able to watch all FTA channels through the foxtel box (and therefore record them as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back