Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well if he wants to really make a lasting impression regarding his feelings then retirement is exactly what he will do. Imagine the outcry. Australian of the Year forced to retire.
Of course to really show how much European settlement has disadvantaged his ethnic group he would undoubtedly return his 1/2 million a year salary, his lovely house, education and health access and return to his bush home.
He could take that imaginary spear with him and go kill some imaginary opponents.
You want your culture back. Then fine, abandon the benefits you have obtained from European settlement. Or would that be too uncomfortable.

Last edited:
I agree that personally that I won't be booing Goodes anymore because he is obviously affected by it beyond the sporting arena. However I think there should be a clearer line as to what's acceptable behaviour and what's not. Either booing is acceptable or it's not. You don't change what's acceptable depending how many other people are booing or how frequently they are booing.
I don't know what the ongoing answer is. I don't pretend to be that clever.

I know that in this particular situation though, now that people know it is started to affect the player it should stop. For the sake of the player.

Men's mental health is becoming a bigger and bigger social issue. Yet here we have people advocating behaviour that they know is directly affecting the mental health of a player. All because they want to defend their right to be mindless simpletons when attending the football.

"Toughen up" has got to be one of the most moronic things I hear being directed at a bloke who isn't coping.

Lucky for him he's not a cricketer, imagine the sledging he'd cop?

Cricket is a gentlemen's sport. I'm sure if he asked the fielders to stop, they would.

Not sure how anyone could deny that there's a campaign being run to control the actions of others here, but okay.
There's no control. There's no policing. There's no arrests. There's no brain jail being built for your thought crimes. Just people calling a spade a spade using nothing but free speech which is their right. Boo if you want but you don't get to also demand that I don't think you're an arsehole for doing it.

If it was racism then every aboriginal player would be booed, nothing to do with his skin color, simple fact is he is getting booed cause he is a ********

If he retires because of this, he will have been hounded out of the game by hate filled bogans.

Had my son ask me a very interesting question about this sort of statement this morning.

"Dad, if I boo Adam Goodes, am I a Bogan or Redneck? Why are people allowed to make labels on me because of my skin color but I'm not allowed to boo someone I don't like because of theirs?".

Glad Mum fielded an answer for me, but raises a good point. Why is it okay to label and name call from people on the Goodes side of the argument? Why do these people make judgement calls and sweeping statements and that's okay? Like Goodes calling the school girl "uneducated". What gives him the right to make assumptions about her lifestyle, upbringing or background? What if she doesn't go to school because of a learning disability? What if her parents were deceased? He's made a statement without knowing the facts and the potential hurt it could cause, exactly like she did. Difference being, he's an adult and role model. Maybe to a 13 year old girl, a big hairy man does actually look like an Ape? Maybe she genuinely didn't understand the racial undertones of calling a black person an Ape and therefore it's Goodes and the media that missed an opportunity to make this a Winmar moment in public education. As an earlier poster said, call the girl (privately), go meet with her and make sure she's okay, her family is okay and see if you can't get her involved as a public face of a No campaign....as long as she's willing. But no, like the spear incident, Goodes' story on the night quickly changed and became about poor Adam, instead of an opportunity for change and education. Much like his Australia of the Year award speech, which instead of being about inclusion and togetherness, became a political statement and divisive. It just seems both sides of this debate are playing by different rules because of skin color and the irony is it's the name callers that are actually displaying the behavior they are so desperately trying to condemn.

Food for thought.

So putting any race issue aside it's easy...

He's a professional sportsman. The crowd, good and bad, is part of that.

If he can't handle that, maybe he should either retire or play exclusively in front of his home crowd.

The Swans media have decidedly gone into massive political overdrive using various spokespeople.

Coverup?

Well if he wants to really make a lasting impression regarding his feelings then that's exactly what he will do. Imagine the outcry. Australian of the Year forced to retire.
Of course to really show how much European settlement has disadvantaged his ethnic group he would undoubtedly return his 1/2 million a year salary his nice house, education and health access and return to his bush home.
He take that imaginary spear with him and go kill some imaginary opponents.
You want your culture back. Then fine, abandon the benefits you have obtained from European settlement. Or would that be too uncomfortable.

My feel for a while is that the political career started years ago, he's just milking the last of the football golden tit.

What really gets me about this whole situation is that we have had media personal, players, coaches, presidents and even the AFL come out and publicly call massive groups of people racist from within their own little bubble of the AFL. Having a discussion about how booing is negatively affecting is warranted in my opinion, even if this isn't discussed if it is other players or the umpires being booed, but to label, without any understanding of their reasons for the booing, whole fanbases as racist is going way,way too far.

People boo him because hes Adam Goodes, not because hes Indigenous. That might not be nice but it certainly isn't racist.

At what point in history have white people on a large scale been subject to discrimination, abuse, violence and unjust treatment in the eyes of the law because they were white?

Oh that's right. Never.
Zimbabwe is pretty fun right now if your white. You should buy yourself a farm over there and feel safe and secure that only evil whitey attacks anyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney can offer me a 12mth contract and opposition fans can boo me instead of Adam.

In saying that if it's affecting him to the stage where he is considering retirement or sitting out games, perhaps it is best that people put the boos to bed.

Adam is a champion of the game. Whilst I think that 99.99 pc of boos are directed at his previous dirty play and perceived umpires / tribunal pet, AOY and general attitude, I'm getting sick of reading about it in the media.

Goodsey has been a champion at highlighting indigenous issues. Let's build a bridge and move on in a spirit of reconciliation.

Had my son ask me a very interesting question about this sort of statement this morning.

"Dad, if I boo Adam Goodes, am I a Bogan or Redneck? Why are people allowed to make labels on me because of my skin color but I'm not allowed to boo someone I don't like because of theirs?".

Glad Mum fielded an answer for me, but raises a good point. Why is it okay to label and name call from people on the Goodes side of the argument? Why do these people make judgement calls and sweeping statements and that's okay? Like Goodes calling the school girl "uneducated". What gives him the right to make assumptions about her lifestyle, upbringing or background? What if she doesn't go to school because of a learning disability? What if her parents were deceased? He's made a statement without knowing the facts and the potential hurt it could cause, exactly like she did. Difference being, he's an adult and role model. Maybe to a 13 year old girl, a big hairy man does actually look like an Ape? Maybe she genuinely didn't understand the racial undertones of calling a black person an Ape and therefore it's Goodes and the media that missed an opportunity to make this a Winmar moment in public education. As an earlier poster said, call the girl (privately), go meet with her and make sure she's okay, her family is okay and see if you can't get her involved as a public face of a No campaign....as long as she's willing. But no, like the spear incident, Goodes' story on the night quickly changed and became about poor Adam, instead of an opportunity for change and education. Much like his Australia of the Year award speech, which instead of being about inclusion and togetherness, became a political statement and divisive. It just seems both sides of this debate are playing by different rules because of skin color and the irony is it's the name callers that are actually displaying the behavior they are so desperately trying to condemn.

Food for thought.

Because you can do what you like if you feel you're on the morally superior side.

http://www.clickhole.com/article/ju...ult&utm_medium=ShareTools&utm_source=facebook

When seventh-grader Kendra Lorrick found herself the victim of cyberbullying, she was devastated. Her classmate, Daniela Kanell, had created a Facebook page for the sole purpose of posting cruel jokes about her appearance. Within a couple of hours, it had accumulated almost 150 likes. The school took the page down quickly, but the pain of being publicly humiliated didn’t go away so easily.

mod edit: please dont quote entire articles

Food for thought.

It is because the elite want to push the racism angle as a divide and conquer tactic IMO

The bottom line is this. Every action has a consequence, and they arent always pleasant ones. Sometimes your actions draw negative attention. If you act in a way that displeases your target audience you're going to get negative attention. Its the way things always have been.
This behaviour is now affecting the mental state of the target, and here you are defending the right to continue doing it.

You simply can't escape that, no matter how much you try.

There needs to be a ground swell of media/ public opinion that promotes cheering by both Sydney and opposition fans every time Goodes has a touch. That way the booing will be drowned out and the positive energy will put this matter to bed.
#cheergoodes!

Patronising Goodes is just as bad as being racist towards him.

Barry Hall king hit a bloke. He didn't get booed.
Matthew Lloyd dived. I went to 200+ of his games. Didn't get booed.
Chris Judd was a Brownlow thief (2010) to the point where "3 votes C Judd" became a common joke. Didn't get booed.
Mark Williams shot a pretend shotgun. Didn't get booed.
Mark Williams is black. Goes against your arguement that people are booing because of race

My opinion,

The WC crowd should be disgusted in themselves. Do I believe its 100% racist driven, no but the bigger issue for me is what message are these feral's sending to there kids in how to behave at a game ? Australia prides itself on sportsmanship but what is now being done to Goodes is way, way over the top. I just watched the game again and payed particular attention to the crowed and they were indeed feral. I just could not help thinking what Timmy and Susie both 8 year old's sitting next to there parents screaming and booing at goodes thought about it and more importantly, do they now believe that anything goes in how they conduct themselves at there local footy ground ?

It was pretty disgusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back