Mega Thread The Adam Goodes Megathread - Now with Added Poll!

Why are crowds booing Goodes?

• Racism

Votes: 565 29.9%
  • He's perceived as a dirty player

Votes: 563 29.8%
  • He's perceived as making a team game all about himself

Votes: 758 40.1%
  • Because everyone else is booing, I thought I'd join in - like a Mexican wave thing

Votes: 268 14.2%
  • Because Gillon doesnt want them to

Votes: 135 7.2%
  • I have no idea

Votes: 74 3.9%
  • Other

Votes: 183 9.7%
  • His onfield message is at odds with his off field one

Votes: 233 12.3%
  • He can do no wrong with the MRP

Votes: 164 8.7%
  • I was saying Boo-Urns?

Votes: 61 3.2%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 56 3.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So if Goodes is treated differently to every other aboriginal player, maybe its something to do with him and not his race? Maybe he might have done something to receive treatment different to every other black player? Hmmm..
Maybe it's something to do with him being the most outspoken and public face of many indigenous issues? It doesn't actually matter either way.

The reason for the booing is no longer important. The reason for stopping the booing is significant.

I made the point earlier.

Even the most intelligent supporter can turn his/her brain off at the turnstiles, reverting to tribalism when he/she enters the ground.

Booing is herd behaviour. It's fuelled by negativity, which in this case has turned plain nasty. It's simplistic, unintelligent and has little basis in consistency or considered reasoning. "He's a flog, I don't like him". (Forget you have flogs in your own team you don't boo). "He's dirty" (never mind all the other dirty players running around). "He says/does things I don't like". Or the doozy - "I've been told I can't boo him, so I'm gonna boo him". And so on.

The booing in the Goodes case is coming from the most unsophisticated, uneducated and unpleasant part of the supporters in question.

I think my statement is pretty spot on.

Booing is an expression of disapproval. Universally so, whether you are Mr.Burns or Adam Goodes. Public figures who offend the public tend to get public expressions of such disapproval. End of story.

And just way to generalise and stereotype people you dont know and have never met.

And was abused by opposition supporters and called a ****** for doing said goal celebration.
Not to Goodes levels, but rinse repeat argument about media influence and effect on player.
Hes not special there. How many players have been called a f*wit by the crowd for acting the fool on a football field? So Mark Williams was treated the same as everyone else, yet Goodes is treated differently. Differently to every other black player in the AFL. At what point will you start to see that its not about colour? I know that goes against you desire to claim everyones a racist, but facts are facts.

As I have pointed out, as it is now having an effect on the player, people should back off. For the sake of the player. Whether you like him or not.

Anyone with most basic knowledge of mental health know's that "harden up" or "toughen up" are ignorant and useless responses.

He's a public figure. It comes with the territory of being an outspoken public figure. The onus is on him to cope with the territory or quit for his own mental health if thats the issue.

so many bleeding hearts ..it appears you can't do or say much these days without the risk of offending somebody , for the simple fact that there are people out there just looking to be offended at every turn .
Harden the **** up and get on with it.
Are you saying man up and boo?

There's no control.

The propaganda campaign is in full swing. Now if you boo, you're a racist. If that's not manipulation and control, then blow me down.

I don't have the right. But they do.

Why them but not you? Nah I don't agree one little bit. No one has the right to demand that all must bend to their perceptions.

I for saying this because I normally hate what she has to say but Rita Panahi's article in the herald sun today is brilliant. Really takes aim at the media in this situation and looks for the real reasons rather than labelling everyone a racist.

Cant post link as it now says I have to subscribe to read it

As I have pointed out, as it is now having an effect on the player, people should back off. For the sake of the player. Whether you like him or not.

Anyone with most basic knowledge of mental health know's that "harden up" or "toughen up" are ignorant and useless responses.
Yes most with empathy would..but you can't make everyone the same as you. Greg Williams played most of his career getting booed..it's a part of the Game.

Maybe it's something to do with him being the most outspoken and public face of many indigenous issues? It doesn't actually matter either way.

The reason for the booing is no longer important. The reason for stopping the booing is significant.

Sorry, but you miss the point entirely.

It is not Goodes nor any other players place, to dictate to a crowd how to support or voice disapproval.

And maybe its not. If it doesnt matter either way you best be writting your President and ask him to stop being a wanka and withdraw his stupid statement. He should be asking people nicely to stop booing, not inflamming the situation by calling everyone a racist.

Pssst it's not hatred ..its booing at a footy game ..happens on a weekly basis ...most players just get on with it. your blind defending of a swans player is rather pathetic.

not every time a person goes near the ball, that's childish schoolyard behaviour which probably wouldn't even be tolerated in a schoolyard...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And maybe its not. If it doesnt matter either way you best be writting your President and ask him to stop being a wanka and withdraw his stupid statement. He should be asking people nicely to stop booing, not inflamming the situation by calling everyone a racist.
Alternatively, human decency kicks in and we make our own decisions to stop booing for now?

Booing is an expression of disapproval. Universally so, whether you are Mr.Burns or Adam Goodes. Public figures who offend the public tend to get public expressions of such disapproval. End of story.

And just way to generalise and stereotype people you dont know and have never met.
In this case, which you fully support, it is now a process to cause more grief to an AFL player.

As for the bolded, you think I've never been to the football? I've met plenty of them.

Oh, and if "meeting someone" is so important in this dicussion, I look forward to you now calling out all having a field day slighting Goodes who have never met him. That should keep you busy.

I recall that was how some reported it, but I watched the footage and never saw a throwing motion. He had an arm up, but didn't thrust it forward. If people are being threatened by an imaginary spear being held aloft, I'd wonder how they'd ever leave their homes.

Same argument applies. If grown men feel threatened by a child calling them a name, I'd wonder how they'd ever leave their homes.

They would simply need to apologise about threatening the crowd I would have thought.

You can't have your cake and eat it to.

there should be give and take for harmony
Nor can you.

Shouldn't the crowd just "toughen up"?

:rolleyes:

They would simply need to apologise about threatening the crowd I would have thought.

You can't have your cake and eat it to.

there should be give and take for harmony

So the booing isn't racist but you prefer to make the blanketing assumption that the booing is because of the dance?

Wow...

If Adam Goodes ends up in politics, it will probably be because you and your ilk helped put him there.

Ends up? He's been in politics for years, he just hasn't been elected yet. But if a bit of a song and dance and an orchestrated media s**t storm earns your vote, more power to you. I'm sure having an Indigenous PM is a heart-warmingly progressive thing to do.

*What bullshit that it's not race related!
*And guess what, you precious little gooses
*There are so many sad shits in Australia
*But the bogan-Bolt-readers
*The apologists for the booing are complete campaigners.

Firstly mate, this sort of language is both counter productive and and shows complete disregard to others point of view. You may have your stance/opinion and that is fine, but to start debating like a 13yr is not a good look. You certainly have worth while points to discuss but to sprinkler that crap through it is pointless to me

What bullshit that it's not race related!

Many players stage for frees, yet none are booed every time they play.
Many players have entered a pack on the odd occasion with knees, yet none are booed every time they play.
Many players stage for free kicks, yet none are booed every time they play.

Totally agree this is not the sole reason behind it all. Mere that Goodes prior to this blow up was booed at about the level of AKA and the likes who were disliked by many. I think people are kidding themself if they think this is all just about on field footy stuff. A factor, yeah probably but not the core of the issue

The excuses don't stand up. And they certainly don't stand up now that the issue has intensified, and has become explicitly about race.

Goodes is booed because he is is 'too political', 'too proud', 'too vocal' about his indigenous heritage.
Goodes is booed because he had the gall to state a fact: that Australia's colonial past was inherently racist.
Goodes is booed because he had the gall to call a teenager out for calling him an ape: a term long associated with racism.

This is the issue and people who have taken a dislike to Adam Goodes feel that he has campaigned against racism the wrong way be inadvertently implying sections of the crowd were racists with his "War Dance". Lets get one thing straight, that War dance has nothing to do with Aboriginal heritage, and it was aimed at White people. The Racism was a sensitive issue leading into indigenous led largely by Goodes. So did he not think before or after that doing a aggressive "War Dance" towards innocent people in the crowd would be seen as anything else other then his response to racism? Well the AFL certainly did and had security questioning supporters on live TV with surely millions around Australia wondering what the next allegation towards Goodes was. But it was nothing and Goodes just replied with it was a War Dance.

The 13yr old girl issue was not a good look for many and surely most people can understand why. I dont think the term Ape is as commonly known as a racist term as people think. Obviously to Goodes it is, but a 13yr girl who could have possibly got it from watching the footy show relentlessly target Dunstall with Ape look alike jokes who like Goodes has that scruffy look about him with the bear etc.. Eitherway, Goodes belittled that little girl on national TV and it is not seen well by many, and perhaps more on hindsight when the full story came out.

There are so many sad shits in Australia who can't handle an overtly proud and critical aboriginal man.

I think their have been many proud indigenous people would speak out on issues, and have been well received by majority of the community

And guess what else: every time you boo him you perpetuate that racism.

This is a big statement, and be argued for a while. I would however say "everytime you boo it could be PERCEIVED as racism. And despite what peoples views are on the issue I think it wouldnt hurt if people just took a chill pill on Adam Goodes and if people feel angered by his actions they have surely made their point whether Goodes or Politically correct Media & AFl realize it or not

If this hasn't already been posted on here yet.. I strongly recommend everyone take a few moments to read..
Published by a Aboriginal Blogger who goes by the name of Dallas Scott.

http://theblacksteamtrain.blogspot.com.au/2014/08/adam-goodes-ensuring-racism-as-sport.html

Interesting point.

As for Adam, well, in the end, I think he got what he really wanted. Before the game, he spoke of Nicky Winmar and his now historic stand against racism. As a man whose days are numbered at the top of his game, he really wants to be remembered like Nicky was. He wants a legacy. And as he inches closer to retirement from football, a job afterwards would be nice – perhaps the victim theatrics were just his way of auditioning for a job in the Industry. Viewing his performance from that angle, I give him an A++.

It's beyond the point of mattering how the booing started. It'd be fair to say some people hate his antics, some people hate him being outspoken, some people boo for the novelty, etc. The fact is that it is now perceived as being racially motivated in response to Goodes' stance on indigenous issues.

Whether we like it or not, the perception is that it's racist. Read any paper, listen to SEN, turn on the TV - they're all running the same story.

Those who continue to boo are doing so with the knowledge that it is perceived as being racist.
The may be a perception in the media that it is because of racism, but there is going to be a growing portion who are doing it because of his personal antics and the way this whole saga has been managed. (AFL recent history is they screw up the management of every saga badly, Essendon, tanking, Sydney trading ban, etc).

The fact the media is running the story is no real shock to me, the media tow the AFL line badly, look back and see how the media handled the claims made by players in the past about wide spread recreational drug use and PED use by players, those who made the claims at the time were shouted down by the AFL and media that it was isolated, Akermanis was called a liar even with his comments about PEDs, yet history has shown us there is plenty of substance behind the claims. The AFL hates bad press more than anything else, they will try and twist anything into some sort of positive at all cost and comment on everything, when often the best thing to do is do nothing.

Whilst there are some who didn't like the war dance in the indigenous round, it had its place in that round and everyone should of moved on.
Move on to the Hawthorn match, firstly we have to accept there is bad blood between both clubs, not firstly over rivalry but over Buddy. Some might not want to boo a two time premiership player, so they look to another target, Goodes. He takes it personally and claims are made about racism, from there it has just got out of control. If nothing was said after the Hawthorn match it would of died down and everyone moved on and the war dance would be just a highlight clip, bit like Greg Inglis goanna crawl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back