News The AFL want names on jumpers

Remove this Banner Ad

There's a think called a football record, not sure if you have heard about it ?
Or the team lists are available on a thing called the internet.............
The budget is $5 a game, get over it.

Bring in names, when I was at the MCG on Monday I was able to read the names clearly when the play was near me. I can't read the numbers up the other end of the ground so the readability argument is irrelevant.

Bring on the names!

They do sell jumpers with numbers.

They obviously feel that they will sell more with names, for lots of reasons already documented over and over again in this thread.

For a while now clubs offer heat press numbers and names as an option. Although you see lots of numbers on the
back of supporters jumpers, you don't see many with names. I would only see 2 or 3 at a game on a kids jumper. I don't believe the exercise will sell more jumpers given that the option to have names is there already. This is about the AFL trying to get maximum profit for a single purchase of a jumper.

lol meant to say "look" more pro.
To gain new fans to our game for all reasons in the thread, this needs to be done.

Putting names on jumpers going to gain fans??...I hate basketball but they have names on the back...I don't watch soccer because...HEY LOOK they have names on the back...serious? Aussie rules bring outsiders to the game because it is a unique sport to any where in the world for it's speed, excitement and skill set..But I will tell my German friends that we have names on our jumpers now so they should tune in and watch...which they already have in the past 5 years.

Maybe if the AFL want new fans to watch the sport they should fix the jumper situation so that in every game both teams can clearly be distinguished. That's what all the pro sports do.

For a while now clubs offer heat press numbers and names as an option. Although you see lots of numbers on the
back of supporters jumpers, you don't see many with names. I would only see 2 or 3 at a game on a kids jumper. I don't believe the exercise will sell more jumpers given that the option to have names is there already. This is about the AFL trying to get maximum profit for a single purchase of a jumper.

People don't get names now because the players don't wear them and people want to wear what the players wear.

It's why people buy guernseys for $110 from a club shop and not for $50 from kmart

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

People don't get names now because the players don't wear them and people want to wear what the players wear.

It's why people buy guernseys for $110 from a club shop and not for $50 from kmart

Doesn't explain why I see much more plain jumpers than jumpers with heat pressed numbers.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't explain why I see much more plain jumpers than jumpers with heat pressed numbers.

The same reason you see more nameless soccer shirts than named. Most people don't want a specific player. Those people don't matter in this discussion and I'm not sure why we're even talking about them.

Those people still pay $110 to get an official club guernsey instead of saving their money and going to kmart.

People haven't gotten into names en masse yet because the players don't wear them. When they do, all those people putting numbers on their jumpers will be getting names as well.

People haven't gotten into names en masse yet because the players don't wear them. When they do, all those people putting numbers on their jumpers will be getting names as well.
I won't be, but that's my opinion.

''more modern''

Not this crap again

f_b69d2e74ef.jpg

I reckon if Big Andy D had still been in charge it would have gone ahead. Gil seems a bit more keen to stop the changes and fix the game. Let's hope he does, but this is certainly a good start!!
It would have been a disaster if it happened permanently. The GPS device warped the names anyway

It would have been a disaster if it happened permanently. The GPS device warped the names anyway

Yeah it was a horrible idea to start with. It never would have worked, and like that article says, you couldn't see it on TV or live at the game, so it was pointless. You can already get the names from each clubs team store to iron if you want so they should have just left it at that. Anyway for once they have actually made the right decision.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back