Workshop Jumper Ideas for 2025

Remove this Banner Ad

They are smaller, more scared, simply look more feminine, grooming themselves via licking themselves etc. Dogs are typically seen as the more masculine house pet. Or is that discrimination and we can't stereotype on animals now? Lol.
Buddy if you associate something licking themselves with being feminine I think you need to have a good hard look at the women you’re associating yourself with

True, but who was offended?
My eyes, for reading one of the worst reactions to a simple question I've ever seen.
Lol this is a good reflection of today's society. You can't even say you think a house cat is feminine without people taking offence.
If you had just answered Nickimus Rex's question, without pulling the 'offended' card at the end (who the hell would be offended by saying a cat is feminine?), no one would bat an eyelid, but you're the one that arked up first.

Going back on topic, I can see your original point, that Geelong have focused on the literal 'cat' silhouette for their logos, rather than the typically 'stronger' cougar/panther variety that they could associate as a cat. But, that is how it has been since they started using logos. They have never used any other variation of cat. Consistency is key? 🤷‍♂️
Geelong_Cats_logo.svg.png images-2.jpeg

I wouldn't necessarily call these cats feminine though, just probably kid-friendly and relatable 😉

My eyes, for reading one of the worst reactions to a simple question I've ever seen.

If you had just answered Nickimus Rex's question, without pulling the 'offended' card at the end (who the hell would be offended by saying a cat is feminine?), no one would bat an eyelid, but you're the one that arked up first.

Going back on topic, I can see your original point, that Geelong have focused on the literal 'cat' silhouette for their logos, rather than the typically 'stronger' cougar/panther variety that they could associate as a cat. But, that is how it has been since they started using logos. They have never used any other variation of cat. Consistency is key? 🤷‍♂️
View attachment 1968477View attachment 1968478

I wouldn't necessarily call these cats feminine though, just probably kid-friendly and relatable 😉
I thought the cat mascot was based on an actual cat entering the field of play long ago, but according to Geelong's website is was a cartoonist who came up with the idea in 1923 of a black cat to (paradoxically) reverse their run of bad luck/results. So definitely a standard kitty; panthers/cougars etc wouldn't fit the bill (although they'd be kinda cool as a variation).

Lol let's not get dramatic.

View attachment 1968477View attachment 1968478

I'm talking in respect to all other teams that have typically gone for masculine and powerful team names, a domestic cat has always been the least strong figure of the 18 clubs. It's why you don't often hear the team name in professional sports. Or they use Wildcats, jaguars, panthers etc. Again a domestic cat can be aggressive, but nobody says they're 'worried about security, might buy myself a guard 'cat'. Or a cat almost killed a person.

They weigh under 10kg and are often skittish. People typically aren't scared of them like they are a bulldog, lion, tiger, bomber etc. Anybody that was wimpy was called a scaredy cat back in the day, catwoman was a sexy ultra feminine character, I've just always thought most people see them on the more feminine than masculine side of the ledger, particularly in the old days when the team name for Geelong was created. I didn't mean it to be a controversial statement, but I did always intrigue me that Geelong used a domestic cat instead of a bigger more powerful looking wild cat logo.

Last edited:
I thought the cat mascot was based on an actual cat entering the field of play long ago, but according to Geelong's website is was a cartoonist who came up with the idea in 1923 of a black cat to (paradoxically) reverse their run of bad luck/results. So definitely a standard kitty; panthers/cougars etc wouldn't fit the bill (although they'd be kinda cool as a variation).
from the news paper clipping itself: "At the Collingwood-Hawthorn juniors match last saturday C'wood attribute their victory to a black cat which followed them out onto the ground"
while i can't exactly verify this story, it is an interesting piece of footy history.

from the news paper clipping itself: "At the Collingwood-Hawthorn juniors match last saturday C'wood attribute their victory to a black cat which followed them out onto the ground"
while i can't exactly verify this story, it is an interesting piece of footy history.
Similar thing happened in Fitzroy, but the cats were much, much larger

At what point do we take that nickname over?

Lol let's not get dramatic.

I'm talking in respect to all other teams that have typically gone for masculine and powerful team names, a domestic cat has always been the least strong figure of the 18 clubs. It's why you don't often hear the team name in professional sports. Or they use Wildcats, jaguars, panthers etc. Again a domestic cat can be aggressive, but nobody says they're 'worried about security, might buy myself a guard 'cat'. Or a cat almost killed a person.

They weigh under 10kg and are often skittish. People typically aren't scared of them like they are a bulldog, lion, tiger, bomber etc. Anybody that was wimpy was called a scaredy cat back in the day, catwoman was a sexy ultra feminine character, I've just always thought most people see them on the more feminine than masculine side of the ledger, particularly in the old days when the team name for Geelong was created. I didn't mean it to be a controversial statement, but I did always intrigue me that Geelong used a domestic cat instead of a bigger more powerful looking wild cat logo.
Bulldogs aren't scary. All they do is be lazy bones and slobber.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back