The "Annual" Good Friday football discussion thread

Are you happy for football to be played on Good Friday?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Let's not change history here. In 2000 both teams drew less than 40k. In 2007 Geelong had to play in Tasmania. Before 2008, I can't find any match getting more than 50k. That's not a rivalry.

Let's see where it is in 10 years time.

You can't just artificially generate a rivalry from nothing, it's there now while both sides are up and about combined with their recent history. It is the chance to build a lifetime rivalry now that will last 50+ years even when both sides are rebuilding. That is what ANZAC day has done, it still draws huge crowds when one or both sides aren't serious contenders because the game is all about the atmosphere rather than the skills on display, the players normally rise to the occasion.
It's rather ridiculous to suggest lets wait and see how the rivalry is in 10 years because without ANZAC day then the Collingwood Essendon rivalry wouldn't be anywhere near as big as it is.

This isn't to say give Geelong and Hawthorn Good Friday but I just don't think you can artificially generate a rivalry between North,Carlton and the dogs while two of the teams aren't competitive.

Give it to the Nth and Dogs under these conditions

They must have an average size crowd of 35k for the first 3 years if they do not the AFL gives it to another 2 clubs

Make it public so the fans gets behind it (Well they should anyway)

Fair is fair give them a chance but be prepaired to lose it if your supporters do not turn up both clubs are on the rise so should not be an issue

If you wanted to share around the "blockbusters" (public holiday and significant event timeslots), you'd have to take Dreamtime away from Essendon and Queens Bday away from Collingwood (assuming ANZAC day is not going to change) - using only Melbourne clubs:

This would leave:
- ANZAC day - Collingwood v Essendon
- Good Friday - North v Carlton
- Easter Monday - Geelong v Hawks
- Dreamtime - Richmond v Saints
- Queens Bday - Melbourne v Bulldogs

Bulldogs, Saints & Carlton are movable, but best to leave for a few years to settle it as "tradition".

Give the season opener to interstate teams given the lack of availability of the MCG.

Interstate terms have their derbies.

They won't get large enough crowds and don't need the leg up.

Let's not change history here. In 2000 both teams drew less than 40k. In 2007 Geelong had to play in Tasmania. Before 2008, I can't find any match getting more than 50k. That's not a rivalry.

Let's see where it is in 10 years time.

That's cool.

...and as a Richmond Im not surprised that you confuse the nature of rivalry and crowd attendance, after all without that...

That said, and lets not change history here, but to compare the Hawthorn and Geelong rivalry to West Coast and Sydney is disregarding football history (hence my post)

With regards to drawing power, Hawthorn v Geelong has drawn 73,400 average to their last 6 years of home and away matches (peak 86179, lull 63476). So I guess it ticks both the history and crowd box

Although crowd attendance and rivalry most certainly NOT related. Essendon and Richmond draw big crowds but there is no historical rivalry. Arguably Hawthorn's greatest rivalry is with North Melbourne in spite of crowd size. Hawthorn and Collingwood fixtures have drawn 35, 000 more on average than Hawthorn and North Melbourne fixtures, yet Hawthorn and North have played in 15 finals (8 wins and 7 losses) whilst Hawthorn and Collingwood have played in just 5 finals (3 wins and 2 losses)

Hawks and Pies might draw double the crowd, but you could argue that theHawks and North have 3 times the rivalry

The vagaries of confusing crowd attendance with on field success...

Last edited:
If you wanted to share around the "blockbusters" (public holiday and significant event timeslots), you'd have to take Dreamtime away from Essendon and Queens Bday away from Collingwood (assuming ANZAC day is not going to change) - using only Melbourne clubs:

This would leave:
- ANZAC day - Collingwood v Essendon
- Good Friday - North v Carlton
- Easter Monday - Geelong v Hawks
- Dreamtime - Richmond v Saints
- Queens Bday - Melbourne v Bulldogs

Bulldogs, Saints & Carlton are movable, but best to leave for a few years to settle it as "tradition".

Give the season opener to interstate teams given the lack of availability of the MCG.

Why do people seriously keep thinking that blockbusters just 'happen'?

Like it or not, comfortable or not, there is a class difference between Melbourne based clubs.

"Essendon can’t have Good Friday and ANZAC Day. In 2038 Good Friday will be on 23rd April, 2 days before ANZAC Day"

- @footyjunkie_ on Twitter

We'll cross that bridge in 2037 :D

Define block buster?

The dream time game tends to be incredibly boring.

Yeah fair call on definition of blockbuster. Think I might start a thread on it; stay tuned ;)

Surely the AFL need to have a crack at trying to build a blockbuster/permanent lesser light teams on Good Friday? Too good of an opportunity not to.

Trial say North v Dogs for 3 or 4 years and if it doesn't work then just have it two random teams as suggested

Surely the AFL need to have a crack at trying to build a blockbuster/permanent lesser light teams on Good Friday? Too good of an opportunity not to.

Trial say North v Dogs for 3 or 4 years and if it doesn't work then just have it two random teams as suggested

Personally I think they have an opportunity to go Charity Shield style and actually 'qualify' for the game.

Highest ranked Victorian side from the previous year hosting the Grand Final winner/runner up for example.

I won't deny that right now it's a big thing, Easter Monday is a great idea that they have cornered. But we don't know what this rivalry will look like after one of these teams 'bottoms out'. It could peter out, like any rivalry could. At the moment Queens birthday is getting awful crowds, despite Collingwood/Melbourne being a massive rivalry many years ago.

And I agree, though just choosing 2 clubs and expecting people to show up won't work. Easter Monday game works at the moment because people want to watch Geelong and Hawthorn, not watch on Easter Monday.

Abit like Richmond V Carlton really.

Is 60,000 sufficient for the first match at the MCG? The Blues + Tigers have had some absolute stinkers in the rematch (mid 40,000's and the like)

Carlton don't want the opening game.

Give the opening Melbourne game to get the WB's v Richmond match up.

Carlton v North. Two sustainable games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jade I think we should play Carlton personally.

We have ANZAC day for Collingwood, Dreamtime for Richmond and it seems fitting that we take Carlton on Good Friday to round out our big 4 blockbusters nicely.

North can go play Freo or West Coast in Perth in the 7:30 time slot if they want. We'll take the 2:30 one.

Jade I think we should play Carlton personally.

We have ANZAC day for Collingwood, Dreamtime for Richmond and it seems fitting that we take Carlton on Good Friday to round out our big 4 blockbusters nicely.

North can go play Freo or West Coast in Perth in the 7:30 time slot if they want. We'll take the 2:30 one.

Play the spawn of Satan on the holiest day of the year?

How perverse...... :D

Play the spawn of Satan on the holiest day of the year?

How perverse...... :D
From a equality perspective it makes sense.

Unfair to Carlton they aren't given an equal game with us like Collingwood and Richmond.

Abit like Richmond V Carlton really.

Is 60,000 sufficient for the first match at the MCG? The Blues + Tigers have had some absolute stinkers in the rematch (mid 40,000's and the like)

The 60,000 came from both teams been in poor form and the fact that the season was a week old already.

No interest from the neutral supporters and it was a thursday night.

I want GF footy as much as the next person, but IMO the AFL should have sold the timeslot to the broadcasters during the last deal with all the money going to the GF appeal, to maximise the money from the broadcasters the game should have been played between Collingwood-Westcoast, IMO you'd still get a massive crowd and the ratings would be off the chart.

I want GF footy as much as the next person, but IMO the AFL should have sold the timeslot to the broadcasters during the last deal with all the money going to the GF appeal, to maximise the money from the broadcasters the game should have been played between Collingwood-Westcoast, IMO you'd still get a massive crowd and the ratings would be off the chart.

That's ridiculous. Collingwood have enough blockbusters.

They should give it to Essendon.

:D

I think Jon Ralph needs to check his GPS.

Since when is Essendon near the Parkville? Tullamarine sure as he'll isn't either.

The 60,000 came from both teams been in poor form and the fact that the season was a week old already.

No interest from the neutral supporters and it was a thursday night.

Perhaps but the fixture was scheduled in round 1 in 2007 (albeit in a twilight slot) and 2011

2007: 59847
2011: 60654

The point is, no fixture is immune to lower attendances (with the probable exception of Dreamtime at the G and ANZAC Day)

I only support Good Friday football if the AFL rescind their "putting a gun to everyone's head and forcing them to watch" policy.

What? There isn't a policy like that?

Hmmm...

Back