Remove this Banner Ad

BGman

Club Legend
Jun 20, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Dragons, Blues, Tassie Tigers
This new thread is for members to chat about general Australian Test cricket between series.

Last edited:
Great idea BGman, was going to make something similar myself. Somewhere where we can debate the never-ending selection questions! Hearing the squad for India will be released today, so looking forward to the announcement. I reckon your 18 man squad is pretty bang on, though I think Inglis could/should go as a backup gloveman.

Do we know at this stage what type of pitches the curators in India will be providing for the upcoming Test series? Can remember in 2001 the then Indian captain Sourav Ganguly wanted 'spinning wickets', in order to blunt the Australian pace attack and the late Shane Warne.

Glad you like the idea TommyD13. We can fit in Josh Inglis by removing Swepson. Some will say Agar but he bats too and is a brilliant fieldsman. Do we really need a fourth spinner when we have Smith, Labs, Head and Renshaw who can offer part time spin. Besides Swepson hasn't exactly bowled down the house in his sub continent tours to date.
Great point re Swepson. Seems to have gone backwards a bit?

What attitude do we go in with on the Indian tour? By that I mean, should our batsmen look to be really aggressive from ball 1 and try to dominate the Indian spinners early? We ain't going to win a test by sitting back waiting for the bad balls from Ashwin / Jadeja etc....

We need to find a way to make decent enough scores in our first inning(s) (say 380+) to effectively put ourselves in a position to at least not lose the match....

I'm fine if you guys want to use this thread for general musings about the team or whatever but there's already a thread to discuss Australias squad and tour of India.

If Australia is to have any chance of defeating India on their own turf (remember the last Test series win was in 2004, and before that 1969 under Bill Lawry), what are the keys to victory in order to regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy? In AFL terminology, you could say the India v Australia series is the 'preliminary final', with the Ashes series against England in England, 'the grand final'.

The Poms may be having nitemares all over again after hearing that Steven Smith is set to play English county cricket as a way to ramp up his preparations for the upcoming Ashes series. They may still be having the shivers from the savaging Smudge handed them in 2019 so I can not think of a better prep for our master batsman leading into a series we have not won on English soil since 2001. Pity some others have not put aside the IPL circus and done the same. Such as our skipper, Hazlewood and Green, three vital cogs in our wheel to knock off the Poms on their soil. Not sure if Marnus is heading back to Glamorgan for his third county season on the trot, ditto Matty Renshaw. Also have not heard whether an A side will be touring with the Ashes squad this time.

Last edited:
The Poms may be having nitemares all over again after hearing that Steven Smith is set to play English county cricket as a way to ramp up his preparations for the upcoming Ashes series. They may still be having the shivers from the savaging Smudge handed them in 2019 so I can not think of a better prep for our master batsman leading into a series we have not won on English soil since 2001. Pity some others have not put aside the IPL circus and done the same. Such as our skipper, Hazlewood and Green, three vital cogs in our wheel to knock off the Poms on their soil. Not sure if Marnus is heading back to Glamorgan for his third county season on the trot, ditto Matty Renshaw. Also have not heard whether an A side will be touring with the Ashes squad this time.
A bit harsh saying a 23 year old should knock back life changing money for 8 weeks work IMO.

I’m very confident we will either win in India or England. Probably not both. I don’t think Bazball will hold up in a 5 test series against our bowlers if all fit (or even if Boland/Jhye are the replacements), and India has a combination of injuries and guys fighting to get back into their best form.

Warner needs to show something. I’m not convinced by one big score that was for himself that anything changes overseas. If he struggles in India he should take himself out of contention for England. If he performs then you can’t really say no but it’s as plain as day we will always be 1 for not much in England.

Outside of that I think Smith and Lab mostly carry us, and hope we pick less Agar and more probable match winner types. We don’t need to hold up an end, we need wickets. The last thing we want is to let Kohli and others whose form have been iffy settle against non threatening bowling, even if they don’t score at a rate of knots.

what are the keys to victory in order to regain the Border-Gavaskar Trophy? In AFL terminology, you could say the India v Australia series is the 'preliminary final', with the Ashes series against England in England, 'the grand final'.
I beg to differ. India is the grand final.. the last frontier, the Everest. One win one draw there from the past 10 starts is proof of that. I have posted on the India thread a possible blueprint on the best way to overcome their decks and spinners.
A bit harsh saying a 23 year old should knock back life changing money for 8 weeks work IMO.
The kid will be earning big bickies alone in a year or two for representing his nation. We need his services more to have the best possible red ball prep to take on the Poms. CA has to start to prioritize India and England by having our Test guys primed with red ball prep, not bloody useless white ball. They need to impress on these guys that playing Tests for your country takes precedence over any other format.

Last edited:
I beg to differ. India is the grand final.. the last frontier, the Everest. One win one draw there from the past 10 starts is proof of that. I have posted on the India thread a possible blueprint on the best way to overcome their decks and spinners.

The kid will be earning big bickies alone in a year or two for representing his nation. We need his services more to have the best possible red ball prep to take on the Poms.
3 million plus might not ever be on offer again.
Could also get a career ending injury.

Take the money when it's on offer.

The other players you talk about have been in the system for years and are multimillionaires.

It's a no brainer for mine.

Could also get a career ending injury.
True. Just hope he does not pick up one in the IPL and miss the Ashes.

Have you guys heard of Sid Barnes. He played in the latter Bradman era before and after WW2. His main claim to fame was setting a world-record 405-run fifth wicket partnership with The Don in the Sydney Ashes Test of 1946. He scored 234 exactly the same score as his captain. Barnes must have retired with one of the best ever averages @63.5 yet he only played 13 Tests. That average is in Steven Smith or Wally Hammond territory. Apparently Barnes was a controversial, ascentric character given to wild mood swings. Today described as someone with a bipolar disorder.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back