Podcast The Cat Attack Podcast presented by K ROCK FOOTBALL

Remove this Banner Ad

K rock Football is taking the week off next week for the Podcast.

Next one will be the after the bye before the Finals start.

So start the questions off the long run.

GO Catters

So dazbroncos ... after listening to the Podcast.. can I presume we are the knuckle draggers and the know nothings that Benny mentioned that the club basically called anyone who besmirched their decision to extend? So I presume the Official club thread is dead and done..

K rock Football ..
Benny... the pointy end talent that you called it that you are starting to feel is required... was what I was referencing a couple of weeks ago... we have not had the chance to get pointy end talent because we have.. not fallen away... and the R1s' that we have traded have barely been R1.. certainly not able to get "pointy end talent". It why the trades have not really hurt us that much. Lats build we have several picks inside ten and KPF Father Sons... this time we have had neither really.

Geelong has not had a single figure pick since Selwood. Geelong has only had pick once when they traded after the 89 GF. and last rebuild they had FSons like Nathan Ablett , Blake , Scarlett and Tom Hawkins that became pointy end talent... thru a bit of development and some luck.

So the only way to get A grade talent is to trade or get it as FA.. perhaps have them for a shorter period. And if they don't find some to replace Hawkins in the draft then we will have to trade for a KPF very soon.

Benny ... opinions... on us being linked to Dahl and now Rohan ...

Is that smart recruitment or does this have the smell of mediocrity starting to settle over our obsessive focus on players in their mid 20's

To me these guys yell treading water .. they may not make us better.. but the will take a spot and that long term may hurt us as it locks us in to more guys who are best good at worst ordinary....?

Perhaps if we go all the way to the GF...and the cost of Rohan does not cost much then it looks like just a finesse of the side.. but if we flop out against Melb it not going to look like an immediate improvement for us and we will have the look of a side on the slide.

One last Cat Attack Podcast for 2018.

Feel free to fire any questions you have at Cas & Kingy by 2pm Tuesday
Gents what would it take to get Joel Corey back to the club as midfield coach and Brendan McCarthy as development coach?

We don’t seem to be able to teach our youngsters how to play unrelenting finals football at present and these two have done exceptional work for the Dogs and Dees in this aspect of coaching. Would mean moving on Rahilly, Knights and Lappin but fresh voices and ideas are now needed

One last Cat Attack Podcast for 2018.

Feel free to fire any questions you have at Cas & Kingy by 2pm Tuesday
There is one clear question but I don’t know if you can provide the answers we desire. Why was Chris Scott signed to another 3 years when he had a year on his contract already? Everyone knew the big test was going to come in finals. But they signed him just before finals and the same thing happened in the finals again.

Brian Cook spoke well about the issues he sees yet he made the decision to sign Scott. Hawkins spoke very well on Krock seemed upset and accepted they weren’t good enough and things needed to change. The other senior players and coaches seem deluded that they just had a bad day. What will it take to shake some sense into them?

One more for the road ...

After such a dire mess we made on Fri night (No one played well but after that shemozzle I think the days of joking about Menzel not being picked for finals are done) .. surely its time to look closely at list management.

Whats your idea on where we should head..?

My pov ... Hawkins & Selwood are not getting any better than they were this year. Hawkins types take years to develop. Selwood goes.. and who is the next Capt.. there are no obvious replacements that reek leadership certainly not Duncan.. (talk about witness protection come finals time...) and as for the rest .. when the heat is on ..we have more passengers than the Titanic and are heading in similar direction if we are not proactive.

In trade we have been lined to Dahlhous , Kade Kolodjashnij , Gary Rohan and Jack Steven ... For me trade in no one with trades that cant play 5 years .. so Dahlhous as FA and 26 is OK...for the rest I don't want anyone who cost us an R1 pick .

So Jack Steven. NO If we can offload some jetsam to get those other guys..fine .. otherwize no.

For me .. get back to draft .. with (as Benny called them) pointy end picks.. and that may mean we let a player or two go who would be handy in our side in 2019.. What i think we need at draft is ..

tall ruck/forward type ... eg. Max King / Bailey Williams

leadership type like .. Xavier O'Halloran Capt. of VicMetro and classy mid.

** and as Daz said thanks for the interface ... its been superior to what we get with the club .. as it appears to them we are just "Keyboard Warriors" and a noisy minority.

Last edited:
Benny and Kingy -

First of all - Thanks to you both for starting and sticking with this thru the year.

Busy schedules dont yield many blocks of time but you've provided a great platform regarding the club, engaging us punters and letting some of us muck it up on occasions. Kudos and thanks from not just us at Bigfooty but all Catattack Pocas listeners.

And for the finale: Team cohesion - How does the club, players and coaches get everyone to buy into the same ethos. In 07-11 the players all bought into the team first ethos. As I tweeted the other night, we no longer have that. The short version is Chappy stood up and made "the call". Who does it now? Will Cook, Carter and CS, Sel and the Leadership group even acknowledge an issue? And if they don't, where to from here?

Thanks again to a great year and hopefully we do this again next year!

GO Catters

To Ben and Kingy,

Well will the club roll the dice; move on Knights, Rahilly and Lappin and bring in new assistants who can push Chris Scott out of his comfort zone. It seems complacency has set in at Geelong. David Parkin made one great comment in 1988: "Satisfaction is a great depressant to motivation".

We have the list to win a flag in 2019. But I do believe that the club has to sack 3 assistant coaches; pay them out and bring in 3 good ones: Mick McGuane, Mark Williams and even offer the kitchen sink to Steve Hocking's right hand man David Raith?

Thoughts.

I can tell you that if the club retains the 3 assistant coaches we will be in the same and even worse position in 2019. I can guarantee that to the bank.

And, thanks for 2018!!

THE GOV

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why oh why our starts in finals. Goals against v Goals for:

2012 v Fremantle : 5-0 (became 7-0)
2014 v North : 7-2 (during 1st Qtr)
2016 v Swans : 7-0 (became 8-0)
2017 v Tigers: 2-0
2017 v Adelaide: 6-1 (became (9-1)
2018 v Melbourne: 5-0

Hi guys,

I was just wondering what you think about the recruitment of Scott Selwood as a whole, how you think he went this year, and where he sits in the future?

Well done fellas. Thanks for the discussion each week. Can never get enough cat talk.

Terribly shocking end to the season but was kind of expecting it. Not much has changed in the last few years. Poor off a bye and unable to stop the momentum of attack.

For me there is a lack of speed on the outside and not enough maniacal behaviour in tight. Seeing Varcoe run down Shuey @#$&, that's what top echelon teams have come September.

How much should be read into Linc linked to the lions because of their super medical team? Rehabilitating our players has been of major concern over the last few years.
Cockatoo, Gregson, Stanley, even back to Vardy who has now strung together some important games at W.C.

Might be time to go back to lab.

YYYYEEESSSSS!!!!!!!

Good work team.. Not listened yet but downloading now... im sure its a barn stormer!!

And does Benny look funny whilst sedated? He cannot be happy with the Menz movement.

And congrats on the media gong. Well played K rock Football !!

Go Catters

.. Not listened yet but downloading now...

I've tried to download it but right-clicking on the link for that specific episode doesn't seem to work and there's isn't a dedicated download button that I can see. I like listening on my phone in the car so any suggestions on how to grab a copy would be welcomed.

After listening to it I became very depressed about next year. :( Especially the comments about Kelly by Benny. Why would Kelly play for 130 grand is a very good question. Save his body for the big Eagles contract in 2020 and sit out next season.

Is there anything stopping Geelong from redoing his contract for 2019 (and onwards) so he is not being paid rookie contract money? Or is that against AFL rookie rules?

Plus the possible 'player survey' was interesting. Hope we get SOME feedback from the club about the 'review'....not holding my breath though.

Club treats members like mushrooms...keep them in the dark and feed them...well you know the rest. :moustache:

An entertaining Podcast yet a bit of a mixed bag from Benny I think ... Im not sure if he has been a diet or has been having a little too much coffee ... he had certain had a negative grumpy vibe about him... yet as usual there resonated a degree of truth in some of what he said. Would seem he'd be a top bloke to have a beer or two..with.. ... but he came into this Podcast fresh and off the long run... imo.

For a start the taking of 20 and 22 for Kelly .. I think he is totally wrong comparing Kelly to Danger and even Ablett. If we want to compare him to anyone its more like Schache ... both Danger and Ablett have spent years in system and really earn't the right to nominate where they wish to play. Ablett was a bit short sighted in signing a contract so he was tied to Gold Coast ..yet only those with a very local view would say he didn't give them some value for his recruitment and time there. What has Kelly given Geelong to persuade them to let him move after 20 odd games... a trouble free stay? Perhaps if we are talking footy and not the silly stuff thrown at the club in a social media platform. And Geelong would have traded him if West Coast had actually walked the talk... where was their willingness to pay the band if you want to dance... they were after all the Premiers.

So if we took 20 and 22.. just who would we have taken ..etc.. I doubt the Casman would have a specific player in mind ..and it would be another example of not adding talent from the pointy end of the draft ...that he has referred to in other podcasts...

And the degree of unrest that is alluded to...obviously more is known than what was said... some unhappy players not to have some fresh coaches etc... and perhaps other things. The not so subtle ref about LincM getting the Heart Balm treatment from Brisbane that he felt he didn't get from a certain someone . Maybe if could have stayed fit then he wouldn't have felt the need for some of that Tom Cruise "lovin feelin"

and then the was stuff I agreed with him on ...

the ref. to 2020/2022 and what was it crash hats.. or something ... Well maybe , maybe not to me it depends on who we draft and how they develop.. so perhaps we need to stop bringing in in system players that have questionable playing records ... Benny gave to Rohan thats for sure and it was hard to argue with what he said..

Anyway ..if the point is to generate thought and reaction then Ben and Tom nailed it... well done guys..

Latest version of the Cat Attack Podcast here with your hosts Kingy and Bradley Green

Good discussion of the Geelong Falcons looking to get drafted and info on the GFC list as it sits and who might be added to it and when come the National and Rookie Draft.

http://www.krockfootball.com.au/cat-attack-podcasts/

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back