The Clayton Oliver Statistical Analysis Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, and that one was MUCH worse. You want to have a go at Oliver for diving, use that one. NOBODY should be shamed for hitting the deck after being struck during the halftime break of a sporting event.
Oliver should and is being rightfully shamed for flopping because he was "scared". Tough enough to push Shuey then he's tough enough to get pushed back, one would think. I guess not.

He was rocked because of the time it occurred (after the siren) rather than the force of the contact. He had no obligation to expect an elbow at that time, and wasn't prepared for it. If he'd fallen to ground that easily during the quarter, I'd be more sympathetic to the rest of you saying he dived because he should have been expecting it and was possibly playing for a free.

The fact that he dropped at a time when he shouldn't have expected an elbow and where there was no possible reward for diving (as there would be during the quarter) tells me he was legitimately shocked and went to ground easier than he otherwise would have.

To me, the biggest factor telling me he didn't dive was the time the incident occurred: during the halftime break.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAaahahahahahahahahaha

LMFAO. Good one

A quote from Oliver was presented by David Grace QC though.

Weird if it can't be considered evidence by the tribunal though.

Just taking from here:

Oliver's quotes
David Grace QC wanted to use a report from The West Australian newspaper, which wrote Oliver said the stray elbow was "A cheap shot. I probably shouldn't have fallen over but I was sort of scared".

Tribunal chairman Ross Howie arguing it shouldn't be taken into account.

Grace QC: "I won't push it any further".

That explains it perfectly. Thanks for that.

Explain this one then.
giphy.gif

Clearly he was scared again, seems to happen a lot with him.

That was Christian Petracca, not Clayton Oliver. Should Clayton be blamed for something a teammate did? What Petracca did was the only thing I'm ashamed of as a Melbourne supporter in that whole incident.
I wasnt blaming Oliver for it. More so pointing out that the fact it was at half time is completely irrelevant. Who knows whether players completely understand a free kick can't be paid at the end of a quarter ? Or even worse, Oliver was play acting to get Schofield in trouble.

Regardless, the contact was very minimal and had Oliver not flopped, carried on via social media, and complained about it on Channel 7 (how he sort of shouldnt have fallen), we wouldnt be talking about this. He's young and he'll learn, but unfortunately that's 2 flops in his short career.

Melbourne posters are now saying stuff like "glad this is over". They were happy yesterday that Schofield was reported and potentially looking at 1 week or 2 if appeal was lost.
No Melbourne supporter really gives a crap about Schofield, as soon as the siren sounded at the end of the game Saturday night he became irrelevant to Melbourne.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh please, look at the delay. He stops, turns to look at the umpire and then flops to the ground. 100% a dive.

giphy.gif
The images on the left are irrelevant. The ones on the right are in slow motion. But are you saying he made sure the ump was looking before he took a dive? So that, what, the ump could pay him a free kick? In the half-time break?

That...is a bloody stretch.

The images on the left are irrelevant. The ones on the right are in slow motion. But are you saying he made sure the ump was looking before he took a dive? So that, what, the ump could pay him a free kick? In the half-time break?

More the implication that he wanted to get Schofield in trouble after the game.

Not one looks inwards more than Melbourne supporters. That's what being down the bottom does. It makes wins that little bit more special. The way you lot carry on, you really are just bitter. You're a bit like a gated community in The Walking Dead. You're so cut off from the rest of civilisation that when things don't go your way, you don't know how to react. Seriously, you lot carry on about Oliver. You lost the game. Get the **** over it.
Oh well in that case give yourself a pat on the back for such humble introspection.

Not sure how our proximity to other cities effects anything when the majority of people catch flights interstate anyway, but I guess it sounds cool to say or something :drunk:

Things did go our way mate, Schofield rightfully got off and now everybody knows that Oliver is a diving little crab, as shown by the number of non west coast supporters in this thread taking shot at Odiver.

Not sure where losing the game comes into it, I was over it Saturday night? Well done buddy your team did something they haven't done for 9 years, let's see if that can translate into any form of meaningful success.

Unlike your bloke Schofield, who is obviously a saint for showing the world how "soft" Oliver is during the half-time break.
He hasn't spent the following two days on social media sooking it up like a bitch.

The AFL knew they had a disaster on their hands and acted accordingly.

Oliver gets a pass for now, but he won't want to ever dive again. The media will be on him like seagulls on a hot chip.

Look at the way he turns his head to look at the ground as he drops, you don't do that if you're legitimately stunned.

I can't believe you're actually defending that. The lengths some will go to when it's their own team involved never ceases to amaze.

The tribunal explicitly said they wouldn't consider it. Nothing of what Oliver did helped Schofield, in fact his dive (yes, I am going with that term) almost saw Schofield spend two weeks on the sidelines.

It might be amusing for Melbourne fans and outsiders but for Eagles fans his dive almost saw him get the same penalty as Bachar Houli's act. Think about that for a moment.
And a harsher penalty than the Cotchin jumper punch.
Justice at last and common sense prevails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back