Certified Legendary Thread 34 Essendon* Players suspended for doping violations - No opposition fans. Check OP for thread rules

If Essendon* gets slapped on the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf, I will .......

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

The AFL tribunal result was inevitable. WADA and CAS was always the only way ASADA could win the case. Now we will see if their case was as weak as the AFL and News Ltd would have us believe. If it was, cue Senate inquiry and a the sound of axes sharpening.

But if it does go to CAS, it will be the AFL in the dock with the EFC.

It's impossible to repair the damage caused by the Essendon Football Club, it coaches, support staff and players. I am sad that this unethical program resulted in an ineffective slap on the wrist. I'll never feel the same way about the Australian game. All things must pass is a thought that accompanies many aspects in life. I just couldn't see the circumstances that would cause me to think this way about football.

Still would be good to see the decision to get a better idea of what happened, but if there's some evidence that the players took banned substances that was close to and not far off comfortable satisfaction, you'd almost say the AFL Tribunal would've been better off finding guilt and giving a small suspension.

WADA is probably more likely to appeal because the Tribunal gave the all clear.

Right now, there's a decision saying that Dank etc intended to get TB4, but because it can't be comfortably satisfied they did get it then there's no point investigating whether the players took it.

Still would be good to see the decision to get a better idea of what happened, but if there's some evidence that the players took banned substances that was close to and not far off comfortable satisfaction, you'd almost say the AFL Tribunal would've been better off finding guilt and giving a small suspension.

Right now, there's a decision saying that Dank etc intended to get TB4, but because it can't be comfortably satisfied they did get it then there's no point investigating whether the players took it.

One thing I recall reading a while ago was that while there are no records of what was taken per se, there are records of (I think) frequency of injections and amounts administered, and these records are in line with how x drug is typically administered.

If that's not a case of where there's smoke...

Remember all that is needed is "comfortable satisfaction".

From someone who would know: ASADA had a good case and it could have gone either way. At a macro level, it all looked pretty suspicious but there was enough confusion around the supply lines etc that they couldn't quite get it over the line for TB4. Sticking point seemed to be whether the TB4 was actually supplied to Essendon

From someone who would know: ASADA had a good case and it could have gone either way. At a macro level, it all looked pretty suspicious but there was enough confusion around the supply lines etc that they couldn't quite get it over the line for TB4. Sticking point seemed to be whether the TB4 was actually supplied to Essendon

Can't see how WADA could change that sadly

I wonder if Bomber Thompson's rage at Essendon is at a sufficient level that he'd now be willing to connect the dots.

They (Essendon and the AFL) ****ed him pretty hard. Time he ****ed them back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think that the wording of the findings against Dank suggest that Dank was trafficking banned substances to Essendon* and their athletes. This is, I feel, the only way that the tribunal could word things that tells world + dog that they feel that there was something shonky happening at Essendon* but because of pressure from above, they are not comfortably satisfied that they could hand down a guilty decision and get out of the building alive.

If Dank does actually do as he said and appeals the findings of the AFL tribunal, then he is going to have to produce evidence to prove his innocence... and if he has the evidence in his possession, then he also gets done for perverting the course of justice by not producing the evidence when requested and for helping to cover s**t up... the ACC is going to have a field day if he appeals.

In my eyes this case is finished, justice will never be served, and those cheats have dodged the biggest bullet.

My hatred for them has gone to an unimaginable level.
They will answer for their crimes... but they wont be judged in Australia. It will be taken to a neutral venue in Zurich I reckon... out of the place where the AFL has major sway!

CAS has a branch in Sydney where it can be heard.
I think that would have been where ASADA would have eventually appealed to. The AFL will try and get WADA to have the case heard in front of the AFL anti-doping tribunal again.

WADA has the choice of going directly to the HQ of CAS in Zurich... they can also consider taking it to the CAS office in Sydney. I think that WADA will take it to Zurich if they do decide to appeal the case... and personally, I think that ASADA has set it up that WADA comes in and smashes both the AFL as a corrupt sporting organisation and Essendon* and their drug cheating players.

The only way this was going to get a fair hearing was if it ended up at CAS. So I don't mind ASADA not appealing, as long as WADA do.

However I will be one sad Blue boy if WADA decideds not to appeal.

I wish we knew more about the likelyhood of an appeal from WADA....

ASADA can't appeal to the CAS, only WADA can unfortunately.

I don't think there's really any difference between taking the case to Zurich or Sydney, I'm not sure how the appointment process works but CAS will have their own international judges. Whether they fly down here to hear it or it's via a live video link is another question.

Exactly...Just seemed to be one too many gaps in the trail.
WADA may see a connection despite the gaps. Something was injected in a regimen that matched TB4. WADA could well go with the looks like a duck, quacks like a duck ruling, whereas the tribunal said it may well look, sound and walk like a duck, but unless you give us an egg, it could still be a chook.

One thing I recall reading a while ago was that while there are no records of what was taken per se, there are records of (I think) frequency of injections and amounts administered, and these records are in line with how x drug is typically administered.

If that's not a case of where there's smoke...

Remember all that is needed is "comfortable satisfaction"
It would appear that the tribunal wasn't comfortable and they can't get no satisfaction.
You would have to think that at an AFL tribunal, if there's any benefit of the doubt to be given, it will go in favour of the AFL's interests. That won't be the case at CAS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back